(Topic ID: 329484)

Insider Connected - what's behind the curtain?

By StoneyCreek

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dpadam450
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I may be a bit paranoid here, but has anyone put a wireless sniffer on the Insider Connected? What's being sent back to Stern, and when? Is it only at the beginning and ending of a game? Is anything sent when the game is powered on but no-one is playing? Am I off my rocker even caring about this?

#2 1 year ago

Yes.

We’ll let you figure out in answer to which of your question(s)

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I may be a bit paranoid here, but has anyone put a wireless sniffer on the Insider Connected? What's being sent back to Stern, and when? Is it only at the beginning and ending of a game? Is anything sent when the game is powered on but no-one is playing? Am I off my rocker even caring about this?

Companies don’t offer something for nothing. There is always a product angle. If insider connected is free, than the user and the operator must be the product.
    The Big Buck Hunter and Golden Tee games send all sorts of audit information back to the companies. You can be sure if it’s not happening now, it will be implemented shortly.

#4 1 year ago

What data could they possibly have to steal that is on your pinball machine?

"Companies don’t offer something for nothing."
    Thought someone said at one point they could start charging for it. However, isn't the device itself an after market product you can purchase + added to the new game costs? The web interface they created isn't costing anything to maintain. Can just be a simple database query to sternpinball.com and update entries. Send a few bytes to a web-server every time a game finishes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insider-connected-what-s-behind-the-curtain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.