Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by JMCFAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

old (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230528_163909335 (resized).jpg
    usb (resized).jpg
    #1 11 months ago

Just installed Insider Connect on my Batman 66. All went well....game is reistered etc. But...connection is iffy with the suppiled Wi fi USB plug, I can connect with the front translite off....

Think I need a exteranl anntenna and posibly amp.. any suggestions for good one...???

#2 11 months ago

If the usb adapter can be replaced with a different unit, the options are myriad. I assume it cannot be replaced with just any other unit, or maybe ANY other unit, because it's coded for that specific unit or a small amount of them (to avoid production issues if one specific unit became constrained) . I don't have first hand knowledge either way, though. I do know it's only 2.4ghz and not 5...at my place I have distributed wifi that forces/favors 5ghz and sterns wifi and my dishwasher both aren't happy about the 2.4 being "turned down" so to speak, they are all that's left that is 2.4 only.

Quoted from JMCFAN:

Just installed Insider Connect on my Batman 66. All went well....game is reistered etc. But...connection is iffy with the suppiled Wi fi USB plug, I can connect with the front translite off....
    Think I need a exteranl anntenna and posibly amp.. any suggestions for good one...???

#3 11 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

If the usb adapter can be replaced with a different unit, the options are myriad. I assume it cannot be replaced with just any other unit, or maybe ANY other unit, because it's coded for that specific unit or a small amount of them (to avoid production issues if one specific unit became constrained) . I don't have first hand knowledge either way, though. I do know it's only 2.4ghz and not 5...at my place I have distributed wifi that forces/favors 5ghz and sterns wifi and my dishwasher both aren't happy about the 2.4 being "turned down" so to speak, they are all that's left that is 2.4 only.

Its a generic USB plug in Wi Fi adapter I believe....

#4 11 months ago

Meaning just any usb wifi adapter will work? I don't see how that's possible, not even a little...but I'm interested to hear more about this and what options there are as my signal sucks as well for 2.4 in that location.

Quoted from JMCFAN:

Its a generic USB plug in Wi Fi adapter I believe....

#5 11 months ago

This is what came in the Insider Connected kit....

usb (resized).jpgusb (resized).jpg
    #6 11 months ago

I will pull mine out that came with it built in and see what it is, if it's the same thing, or at the least the same chipset, then that's the limitation until they update to allow others I assume. I have no real knowledge of how their OS works, even what it's based on or if it's full custom, I have looked exatly 0% into it at all, so there may be a whole host of adapters that work, but I still doubt that just any work, I have about 15 different brands/models here I ccould just start plugging them in to see which ones it does have the drivers installed for lolol

Quoted from JMCFAN:

This is what came in the Insider Connected kit....
    [quoted image]

#7 11 months ago

This is what came in mine with it built in.

PXL_20230528_163909335 (resized).jpgPXL_20230528_163909335 (resized).jpg
    #8 11 months ago

So, presumably the same thing. If you could find one of those units that had the exact same chipset but an external antenna that might work.

#9 11 months ago

Alternately a usb extension cable to get the actual adapter out of the back box would help, there is a hole on top for the topper already there, or various other ways to fish a cable out I'm sure. That could help.

#10 11 months ago

That startech is a Realtek 8188cu chip. Old school.

#11 11 months ago

Without more info, the best I can guess is that if you found a usb adapter with an external antenna that had an 8188cu Realtek chipset it might work, using an extension cable to get the stock adapter outside the back box would certainly help, and getting a supported adapters list from Stern would be fairly handy lol.

#13 11 months ago

Awesome. Thanks for that. I think this has been discussed and answered some time ago, as usual lol. I tried.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Useful info here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/93#post-7397839
    TP link one I use that works fine.
    amazon.com link »

#14 11 months ago

And the extension has been discussed previously on the next page of that same thread.

#15 11 months ago

I had this old thing laying around... plugged it in and put on top of balck box.... works like a champ....

old (resized).jpgold (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insider-connect-wifi-annenta-amplifier?hl=jmcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.