(Topic ID: 307544)

Insert Water Slide Decals

By shadetree77

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Just picked up an Old Chicago by Bally. Some of the inserts have graphics on them. Usually I pop the inserts out and sand them smooth. However, I've never had a machine with artwork on the inserts. I've been reading up on how to replace that artwork and the consensus seems to be to scan the originals and print out on water slide decal paper. But what do you protect the new decal with afterwards? I don't plan on clearcoating the playfield. Just going to clean and wax it. So what should I do with the insert? Clear coat them individually before putting them back in?

#2 2 years ago

For what it's worth (and I imagine everyone has their own technique) - I print a sheet at a time - all the decals at once, if I can. And it's good to print multiples of each because sometimes one layer of water-slide decal isn't opaque enough - you have to double them up to make them dark enough.

After printing them, I spray the entire sheet(s) with just some sort of clear non-water-based spray....I've just used Krylon clear gloss sprays, and that seems to work fine. Maybe 3 coats or so, letting it dry in between coats. This protects it from the water when you're soaking and transferring it.

After you have it on the playfield, I'd try to put some sort of clear over it. You'll have to experiment to see what type of spray and what sheen works on your machine, but I'd guess those water slides aren't going to last very long without something over them. Maybe even clear adhesive mylar discs would work. I like your idea of clearing each insert individually before putting them back in the machine, but I've never done it myself.

I love Old Chicago...it kicks my ass constantly and consistently.

#3 2 years ago

You could try using an eye-dropper with a little 2 pack laquer or suchlike in it and carefully apply to each insert though they would need to be slightly lower than the ( perfectly level) playfield surface or you'd face getting runs in it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-water-slide-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.