(Topic ID: 261033)

Insert removal - not the usual

By pinzrfun

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200912_173423 (resized).jpg
    20200829_201439 (resized).jpg
    20200829_200958 (resized).jpg
    20200131_171323 (resized).jpg
    20200131_172012 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Hi guys - I put an overlay on my Strikes and Spares (first time). Put new rollover inserts in last night, and one of the holes must have had a tiny bit of old glue in one little spot because the insert is sitting up about 1/16". If that wasn't bad enough, it kinda pushed up a little bit of the overlay (it wasn't 100% dead nuts on all of the holes, apparently). I dry fit a couple of them before I epoxy'd them in because I was concerned about this, and there was enough clearance in the hole that they fit fine. Maybe I didn't push this one straight down or something.

Anyways, now I have this ridge. My first instinct was to just heat it back up, knock it out and re-seat it but.... I used the Harbor Freight 2-part epoxy, I don't know if that stuff loosens up like the original glue did, or if it will tear the overlay on the way out (my biggest concern). Or break the insert (no biggee, just get another one.)
    My 2nd thought was to carefully try to grind that edge down w a dremel, but I dont see that ending well.

I'm going to clear the whole thing with 2Pac - part of me is thinking, well if I lay enough 2Pac on it, I can smooth that out..............that'll be a lotta clear though, but in the end might be the safest route? I don't want a playfield protector on it.

From a game play point of view, you cant really see it, but it will definitely affect ball travel if I don't address it. It's the insert on the far right, in the row of 3 pins (2nd row down).

Any ideas appreciated -
    20200131_172012 (resized).jpg20200131_172012 (resized).jpg20200131_171323 (resized).jpg20200131_171323 (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

That is what I have done to remove Star rollovers . A little scary but it does work well .

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

That is what I have done to remove Star rollovers . A little scary but it does work well .

I think that will just rip the overlay up?

#5 4 years ago

Yeah it might , you could try using a very sharp exacto knife and a template to cut the overlay off the insert . Then there is less risk of damaging the overlay for whatever method of removing the insert you choose to do .

#6 4 years ago

That is an interesting alternative though, thank you - I think I'm gonna ponder this and maybe attack it AFTER the Super Bowl - -

#7 4 years ago

Yeah definitely something you should consider all options before going to it . The overlay does present a unique issue when considering the best way to go about this

#8 4 years ago

I would simply sacrifice the roll over insert? Carefully break it into pieces with small side cutters or Dremel and remove it piece by piece. Clean the hole with a sharp blade or round sand block while also blending the overlay to the hole more centered this time. Would hate to loose all the work you put into that overlay for an insert.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I would simply sacrifice the roll over insert? Carefully break it into pieces with small side cutters or Dremel and remove it piece by piece. Clean the hole with a sharp blade or round sand block while also blending the overlay to the hole more centered this time. Would hate to loose all the work you put into that overlay for an insert.

Agreed, I wouldn't worry about saving that rollover, they are very cheap.

1 week later
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I think that's the route I'm going - I meant to order a new insert from Pinball Resource this week and forgot. Seems like the smartest thing to do.

I'll respond back w pics when I get this done - I appreciate the input gents!

6 months later
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I think that's the route I'm going - I meant to order a new insert from Pinball Resource this week and forgot. Seems like the smartest thing to do.
    I'll respond back w pics when I get this done - I appreciate the input gents!

Ok, it was 7 months ago but i AM following up - i got some snips, started snipping up the insert and the thing popped right out -

So I actually ended up doing that to a few others, too - i cleared it a few week ago and starting to reassemble -

20200829_200958 (resized).jpg20200829_200958 (resized).jpg20200829_201439 (resized).jpg20200829_201439 (resized).jpg20200912_173423 (resized).jpg20200912_173423 (resized).jpg
    #12 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I put an overlay on my Strikes and Spares (first time). Put new rollover inserts in last night, and one of the holes must have had a tiny bit of old glue in one little spot because the insert is sitting up about 1/16". If that wasn't bad enough, it kinda pushed up a little bit of the overlay (it wasn't 100% dead nuts on all of the holes, apparently). I dry fit a couple of them before I epoxy'd them in because I was concerned about this, and there was enough clearance in the hole that they fit fine. Maybe I didn't push this one straight down or something.

Missed your first attempt, second one looks fantastic.
    Something I do when I replace inserts, run the proper size Forster bit in each insert hole just a tad. Makes sure to remove any remaining insert and/or glue left behind.

Looking forward to your re-assembly, one of my favorite games here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-removal-not-the-usual and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.