Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2126 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2125 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2123 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I acquired a Harlem Globetrotters. I was replacing bulbs and all seemed to work, but now all have mostly stopped working. The only ones that work are the "open gate", "gate open & 3000" plus the globe lights at the top. (The 'O') light is flakey. I have checked fuses, connectors and have looked for disconnected wires with no luck. Does someone have some guidance as where I should look next?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2123 (resized).jpegIMG_2123 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

I forgot to mention, I tried swapping the light board and MPU from another game, but no luck.

#3 4 years ago

Bump

#4 4 years ago

I'd double check the fuses (off the board) and connectors on the rectifier board as well as the bridge rectifiers - start there. If one of the rectifiers went out you wont get any feature lights.

Was the game on while you were changing the bulbs? You say they seemed to work, but have almost stopped working - did they just start going out one by one, slowly, or you turned it on and half the game was dark?

Try wiggling the bulb under that right slingshot and report back - also send some pics of the rectifier board and connectors -

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I'd double check the fuses (off the board) and connectors on the rectifier board as well as the bridge rectifiers - start there. If one of the rectifiers went out you wont get any feature lights.
Was the game on while you were changing the bulbs? You say they seemed to work, but have almost stopped working - did they just start going out one by one, slowly, or you turned it on and half the game was dark?
Try wiggling the bulb under that right slingshot and report back - also send some pics of the rectifier board and connectors -

I’ve seen this a lot lately. Check/replace the BRs

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Quoted from DK:

I’ve seen this a lot lately. Check/replace the BRs

The fuses on the board check out. Wiggling one of the connections to the removed plug in the photo, made the right sligshot GI come back on. I just repined that wire. Could the pin off the board be corroded?

The game was on while changing bulbs. I did that to see which bulbs either needed messing with or a new bulb. In the process, all the lights went out, so it was all at one time.

When you say bridge rectifiers, is that the connections behind the board?

#7 4 years ago
IMG_2125 (resized).jpegIMG_2125 (resized).jpegIMG_2126 (resized).jpegIMG_2126 (resized).jpeg
#8 4 years ago
#9 4 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

The fuses on the board check out. Wiggling one of the connections to the removed plug in the photo, made the right sligshot GI come back on. I just repined that wire. Could the pin off the board be corroded?
The game was on while changing bulbs. I did that to see which bulbs either needed messing with or a new bulb. In the process, all the lights went out, so it was all at one time.
When you say bridge rectifiers, is that the connections behind the board?

Ok, first of all yes, that pin off the board is probably shot - you may be able to wire brush it back to life, but 2 weeks from now the lights will go out again. That plating on those header pins decays over time, especially when the wires have been stressed and overheated. That header (the collection of pins as a whole) should be replaced. Actually, ALL of the headers and connectors on these old Ballys should be replaced for reliability, there are several threads about bulletproofing these elsewhere on Pinside.

The bridge rectifiers are in the middle of the board - see that black thing sticking out? Someone replaced that one already, there are 2 more on the back of the board next to it (BR2 and BR3) - one of those is probably toasted. Test with the game OFF.

#10 4 years ago

Ok, thanks. Really appreciate the help. I will check it out when I get a chance and see about replacing.

2 weeks later
#11 4 years ago

Ok, here's the latest. I put in a new rectifier board. Came out really nice. I also repined one of the older looking connectors. Still the same issue! Game still only shows a couple of lights being on. I can still re-pin the other 2 connectors, but they looked pretty good. It may be the issue, but do you think it would be? Anything else I should check?

Many thanks!

IMG_2194 (resized).jpegIMG_2194 (resized).jpegIMG_2195 (resized).jpegIMG_2195 (resized).jpeg
#12 4 years ago

Have you tried new bulbs yet in some of the lamp sockets? Maybe at this point you only have burnt bulbs.

Swap a couple of the working bulbs over the non-working lamp sockets.

#13 4 years ago

I actually did. I had them almost all working then the majority of them went out at one time. That’s where I am, trying to find out what happened. Only like 5 insert lights work. The GI is working.

#14 4 years ago

With power off, try reseating all 4 connectors to the lamp (bottom left) board and the top left connector on the MPU (top left board).

FYI. If you have new bulbs with the silver base, they are made and China and are not great quality.

#15 4 years ago

Reseating the connectors didn’t change anything. Not sure what could be wrong. In the photo of the playfield up top, only the top globe inserts work, and the couple on the lower right. During game play though, I don’t think the globe lights work as they should. Don’t know, might have to call a tech to come out. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

#16 4 years ago

I would try another lamp (bottom left) board from either Viking or FG. If another board works in HG, then try the original in the other game.

#17 4 years ago

Tried it with no luck.

#18 4 years ago

Does the original lamp board work in the other game?

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

the top left connector on the MPU (top left board).

You reseated this connector as well?

#19 4 years ago

It does.
Reseated all the connectors many times.

#20 4 years ago

There's a bare braid wire stapled along the bottom playfield that connects to the base of each feature lamp socket which carries lamp power that's 5.4 volts DC.
Are you measuring 5.4VDC power at the the feature lamp socket bases where the lamps aren't working?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

There's a bare braid wire stapled along the bottom playfield that connects to the base of each feature lamp socket which carries lamp power that's 5.4 volts DC.
Are you measuring 5.4VDC power at the the feature lamp socket bases where the lamps aren't working?

No, the lamps that work, are of course reading 5.8 volts DC. The ones that aren't working are measuring 0.07 volts DC, which I assume means zero.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

No, the lamps that work, are of course reading 5.8 volts DC. The ones that aren't working are measuring 0.07 volts DC, which I assume means zero.

OK, seems like you know what the problem is. Power to the switched lamps on the playfield arrives from J1-7 of the rectifier board. It's a large solid blue wire. That wire connects to the common switched IL bus line on the playfield. There should be 6.3v DC at the common side of every switched lamp. Since some lamps work and other dont and have no voltage to boot it's safe to assume that bus has opened up somewhere on the playfield. Start with a lamp that is working and trace the bus line around. Your going to find a place where it's broken or opened up.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

OK, seems like you know what the problem is. Power to the switched lamps on the playfield arrives from J1-7 of the rectifier board. It's a large solid blue wire. That wire connects to the common switched IL bus line on the playfield. There should be 6.3v DC at the common side of every switched lamp. Since some lamps work and other dont and have no voltage to boot it's safe to assume that bus has opened up somewhere on the playfield. Start with a lamp that is working and trace the bus line around. Your going to find a place where it's broken or opened up.

Thanks very much BigAL! I’ll start looking.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Where do I find where it connects to the bus line? Are you talking about the ground line? I couldn’t find any breaks in it, but I’m a little confused if you’re taking about where the blue wire from the rectifier connects to the insert lights. I don’t really know much about how that power branches out.

#25 4 years ago

guess ill jump in here....it shouldn't be a hard problem.......i assume you are talking about switched illumination. you should be able to read power on the bulb socket.....if you don't have power on the socket then verify you have power out of the rectifier board. follow the line to the first lamp socket and look for a broken braid wire....if you have power, you should be able to ground a bulb at the lamp board to turn it on, using your schematics. be careful not to short the wrong pins!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-lights-not-working-on-hg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.