met_matrix_(resized).jpg
5_(resized).JPG
4_(resized).JPG
3_(resized).JPG
2_(resized).JPG
1_(resized).JPG
60285-i_(resized).jpg
IMG_2463_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hougie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

My Game of Thrones is about a month old and I just noticed some ghosting on two inserts. I'm seriously bummed about it and I really hope it doesn't get worse. My distributor has an email in with Stern about it and we haven't heard back yet. Has anybody else seen this happen with your new games?

IMG_20160315_211319977_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_211319977_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_211331265_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_211331265_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have the same thing Hougie. On two of my shield inserts in front of the flippers. I've just been waxing that area more often. Who knows if that will help, but doesn't bother me.

My guess is that the PFs didn't cure long enough. My understanding is that the insert has separated from the clear. I'm fine with a little like it is now but I'm really hoping that it doesn't get worse or start showing on other inserts. My primary concern is how a game plays and I buy them to play them. At least they aren't lifting and affecting play.

Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Just play the damn thing, at least you have one, i don't.

Oh don't worry, I'm playing enough for the two of us.

#5 8 years ago

Surely Chuck and I aren't the only ones.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'm pretty sure we're talking about this. OP should probably get a replacement playfield lest it become unplayable.

pasted_image_(resized).png

Let's not get dramatic. I can play the crap out of a game with ghosted inserts but I wouldn't expect a game that is a month old to be doing it. Expensive, brand new, etc..Ya dig?

#34 8 years ago

Chuck, Yours probably has at least a thousand plays, right? At this stage mine only has around 300 or so. I'm just going to snap pics once a week or so.

#40 8 years ago

Where's the insert wear on my wares? I gotta have it now!!

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I think this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but no matter what the price of a game, it is going to experience wear and tear. You have a steel ball pounding the inserts and the field over and over, you have other shocks from solenoids firing, and probably vibration from shakers shaking (I don't know what games have shakers). Stuff will wear out.
It's reasonable to hold a manufacturer accountable for stuff that arrives DOA, or stuff that experiences sudden catastrophic failure when fairly new.
It's not reasonable to hold a manufacturer accountable because when you zoom in on a picture of a plastic bit, you can see a white patch at the edge of that piece of plastic.

And that's fine but what about the games with tens of thousands of plays like my LOTR or my MET with none after a few thousand.

I'm not stupid. I get that there will be wear. When the inserts are looking like the ones above (not mine) after (I'm assuming here) a few thousand plays, I don't think that seems right. We are not talking about minor repairs when reclearing a playfield.

Am I saying that I need a new playfield? No, absolutely not. Am I happy that the inserts are already ghosting? Absolutely not. I just hope that within a years time I don't have lifting or chipping inserts. I can't believe that anyone would think that is okay. Anybody who bought a new game with significant wear in a short period of time/plays (I'm not talking about mine) would surely be pissed.

To be clear I'm not pissed yet or demanding a new PF.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yup, my orbitor doesn't have any ghosting at all. I'll trade someone for their piece of shit ghosted insert game (excluding SF2 or Xfiles)

It must be pretty fun to make light of the deal. I'll let you know when I'm ready for the trade.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually I wasn't referring to your game at all. I was referring to the people that think a game is junk because of a little ghosting. I'll take those "shitty" ghosting games off their hands.

Fair enough. I'm not in that camp at all. I do really hate to fix cosmetic problems. Most of the time I don't even worry about them. I am a ton better at troubleshooting and working on the mechanical/electrical side of pinball. Hell I kind of enjoy when one of my games break and give me something to work on.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

just because you have ghosting doesn't mean your going to get chipping. Chipping is from the insert expanding and contracting and shifting. It creates a fault line in the clear. Then the insert raises slightly allowing the clear to catch and start curling. You can see it happening and stop it ahead of time. It's not something that happens overnight. Takes like 1000's of games once it shifts upwards. Sometimes they shift up, and go back down. But ghosting alone will not cause that.

Sterns change to LEDs has to help prevent insert wear, right? I would imagine that the dirty/nearly burned out 44s cause the most issues on inserts expanding. LEDs running cooler surely help slow the process.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

You are right, LED are much cooler ... but ... on my games I would never, never, never Change bulbs for LEDs.
I love the look and shine of the machines as they were. WOZ, MET and GOT ... okay ... but all other (older) machines have bulbs .... I am oldschool

I'm pretty much the same. I don't generally change older games over to LEDs. For instance, LOTR and Spider-man just look better with incandescent bulbs. I tried some on Centaur but they just don't look right.

The fact that Stern is changing over to LEDs should help reduce insert wear and chipping, IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hougie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-ghosting-on-new-stern-game-of-thrones?tu=hougie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.