met_matrix_(resized).jpg
5_(resized).JPG
4_(resized).JPG
3_(resized).JPG
2_(resized).JPG
1_(resized).JPG
60285-i_(resized).jpg
IMG_2463_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 8 years ago

ghosting is unavoidable on any field that's clearcoated. It can happen from any manufacturer on any game any time. Might happen in 30 days.. might happen in 30 years. It's just part of modern pinball and has to be something you get used to. Sucks when it happens, but there is no way to control it.

#56 8 years ago

it will start chipping eventually. Only way to fix it, is to clear it some more down the road. The nice part about it is, that sterns clear is truly clear.

Unlike B/W. their clear is foggy. So when it chips out, it's a real PIA to fix. because that fog effect is very difficult to copy and get the inserts looking uniform. It's a huge process and gets insanely expensive to restore.

For stern. All you have to do is reclear it and you won't really see it anymore. That doesn't mean it can't reghost again, but it will be buried in deeper clear, and chance of it breaking through the clear resulting in wear is slim to none in a home environment.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Sure, production variables and all that. Still, it sucks to get one of the machines with a problem and affects resale value down the road.

it shouldn't effect value that much. People that know what they are doing, know it's not a big deal and nothing you can do about it. If you pay more for a game with non ghosting, you are pissing money away, because the game you just bought might be ghosted by the time you get home, or a week later.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If all games have it, I would agree with you. However, I have a lot of games from all eras and if they have ghosting on the inserts, it hasn't been bad enough for me to notice.
I would certainly offer less for a game with a noticeable problem or avoid the game all together. I enjoy fixing mechanical problems but dislike cosmetic repairs. Spot clearing does not seem trivial to me but maybe it is.

since I restore fields for a living and see 100's of fields. I've seen it from everyone and nearly every game. I've seen TZ's, MM, CC, CV, TOTAN, TOM, NGG, STTNG, IM, LOTR, TAF, PM, Stargate, Shadow, Freddy...you name it..i've seen them with ghosting.

Like Vid says. Climate has a big part in how much expanding and contracting the wood is doing in ratio to the plastic. This does play a part.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The only games that can't get ghosted inserts are games that don't have a clearcoat on them.
You don't see any ghosting on Orbitor, Elektra or New Canasta

yup, my orbitor doesn't have any ghosting at all. I'll trade someone for their piece of shit ghosted insert game (excluding SF2 or Xfiles)

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

It must be pretty fun to make light of the deal. I'll let you know when I'm ready for the trade.

actually I wasn't referring to your game at all. I was referring to the people that think a game is junk because of a little ghosting. I'll take those "shitty" ghosting games off their hands.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't doubt that any game from any manufacturer can have this issue. I'm just saying that most games don't. For example, of the 15,000 TZs produced, what percentage has problems with ghosting inserts?

50% from as many fields that i've gotten. door panels have it happen a lot. as well as the bolts up in the mini playfield.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Sure, but you're a pro at fixing that stuff. You also said:

Doesn't sound like something I would want to tackle, so I should avoid older games with the problem.

Oh man, I'm going to have to go home and take a closer look at my games and report back.

just because you have ghosting doesn't mean your going to get chipping. Chipping is from the insert expanding and contracting and shifting. It creates a fault line in the clear. Then the insert raises slightly allowing the clear to catch and start curling. You can see it happening and stop it ahead of time. It's not something that happens overnight. Takes like 1000's of games once it shifts upwards. Sometimes they shift up, and go back down. But ghosting alone will not cause that.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Sterns change to LEDs has to help prevent insert wear, right? I would imagine that the dirty/nearly burned out 44s cause the most issues on inserts expanding. LEDs running cooler surely help slow the process.

yes. LED's will help with the heat and cooling aspects of the inserts. Which really put more stress on expanding and contracting situation. Climate and humidity are main contributors. Extreme cold and heat. Like warehouses, garages. Left out in the car overnight during winter or hot summers. All those play a part.

1 week later
#95 8 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

In fact, I was confused by the whole thread for the first few posts - I always thought that in pinball, ghosting referred to a bulb in the lamp matrix getting some bleedover power, causing it to illuminate dimly. I couldn't figure out what that would have to do with the clear...

With LED's they are talking about a slight glow of the LED when it's suppose to be off. That is ghosting. You are correct.

Ghosting (different type) is when you have clearcoat starting to let go from a plastic insert and get an air bubble trapped in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-ghosting-on-new-stern-game-of-thrones?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.