met_matrix_(resized).jpg
5_(resized).JPG
4_(resized).JPG
3_(resized).JPG
2_(resized).JPG
1_(resized).JPG
60285-i_(resized).jpg
IMG_2463_(resized).jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

My Game of Thrones is about a month old and I just noticed some ghosting on two inserts. I'm seriously bummed about it and I really hope it doesn't get worse. My distributor has an email in with Stern about it and we haven't heard back yet. Has anybody else seen this happen with your new games?

IMG_20160315_211319977_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_211319977_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_211331265_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_211331265_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Just play the damn thing, at least you have one, i don't.

#3 8 years ago

I have the same thing Hougie. On two of my shield inserts in front of the flippers. I've just been waxing that area more often. Who knows if that will help, but doesn't bother me.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have the same thing Hougie. On two of my shield inserts in front of the flippers. I've just been waxing that area more often. Who knows if that will help, but doesn't bother me.

My guess is that the PFs didn't cure long enough. My understanding is that the insert has separated from the clear. I'm fine with a little like it is now but I'm really hoping that it doesn't get worse or start showing on other inserts. My primary concern is how a game plays and I buy them to play them. At least they aren't lifting and affecting play.

Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Just play the damn thing, at least you have one, i don't.

Oh don't worry, I'm playing enough for the two of us.

#5 8 years ago

Surely Chuck and I aren't the only ones.

#6 8 years ago

If they get worse I'd be upset, take new pics after every game so you can make a cool time lapse video.

#7 8 years ago

I have this issue on Kiss. Stern blew me off

IMG_1612_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_1612_(1)_(resized).JPG

#8 8 years ago

For those of us who aren't familiar with the issue, what's going on? I can't really see the issue in the pics because I don't know what I'm looking at! I'm curious so I can keep my eyes peeled for the same issue on any new Sterns.

#9 8 years ago

Does it look like the clear coat is pulling away from the insert plastic?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

For those of us who aren't familiar with the issue, what's going on? I can't really see the issue in the pics because I don't know what I'm looking at! I'm curious so I can keep my eyes peeled for the same issue on any new Sterns.

See the small white areas on the edges of the inserts?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

They are white spots on the insert. The right side of that KISS lock insert, the bottom left of the 4x insert on GOT and the top right of the 5x insert on GOT.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I'm pretty sure we're talking about this. OP should probably get a replacement playfield lest it become unplayable.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

kissinsert_(resized).jpgkissinsert_(resized).jpg

#14 8 years ago

Sheesh, that's actually pretty bad. I'm sure that could lead to inserts sinking or lifting over time and may possibly cause the clearcoat to chip from some unevenness. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse or that Stern can fix that.

#15 8 years ago

Are they "Pro" versions? There is a thread where this is happing on a Met pro and the guy was told. Yes, this happens on the pros.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'm pretty sure we're talking about this. OP should probably get a replacement playfield lest it become unplayable.

pasted_image_(resized).png

Let's not get dramatic. I can play the crap out of a game with ghosted inserts but I wouldn't expect a game that is a month old to be doing it. Expensive, brand new, etc..Ya dig?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Sheesh, that's actually pretty bad. I'm sure that could lead to inserts sinking or lifting over time and may possibly cause the clearcoat to chip from some unevenness. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse or that Stern can fix that.

I'm assuming the ghosting means that now there is a gap between the clear and the insert? Which means potential for chipping.

#18 8 years ago

Stern quality has not been great lately. There have been some pretty crappy playfields over the last year. If these things cost $1000 it might be different, but people are paying $5000 - $8500. As long as people keep buying things will never change. I just choose to buy HUO at a discounted price later.

#19 8 years ago

Thanks for the clarification guys. That's a pretty big bummer...

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm sure that could lead to inserts sinking or lifting over time and may possibly cause the clearcoat to chip from some unevenness.

Clear tends to chip along the insert edges to create the classic "insert wear" that we see in Williams WPC games.

Ghosting does not mean that the inserts will sink or lift, just that the clear is pulling away from the face of the inserts.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Clear tends to chip along the insert edges to create the classic "insert wear" that we see in Williams WPC games.
Ghosting does not mean that the inserts will sink or lift, just that the clear is pulling away from the face of the inserts.

Right, but that means either the clear has lifted or the insert has sunk. It might be a tiny amount, but the separation is sure to cause some flex in the clear as the ball rolls around.

#22 8 years ago

Coat loosen from the playfield. As a result there is air between the insert/print and the coat. It will "grow" by time.
In the old days they used a primer before coating. Therefor the inserts looking "milky". In out das the coat seems to be better and the primer is no longer needet, therefor no "milky look" anymore.
Maybe the coat is loosing from the insert/print or the insert itself is not glued good enough in and the air comes from the underside of the playfield. The insert works in the wood.
On a new playfield for me not acceptable ! On a old machine this might happen and sometimes it helps to bring freash 2 component clearcoat with a needle between the coat and the playfield and polish it.

Very common on the old days for CV, ToTAN and ToM. On a new playfield ... no go ...

Attached some extreme pics !

12_04_2015-_1548_(resized).JPG12_04_2015-_1548_(resized).JPG

12_04_2015-_1547_(resized).JPG12_04_2015-_1547_(resized).JPG

12_04_2015-_1546_(resized).JPG12_04_2015-_1546_(resized).JPG

12_04_2015-_1560_(resized).JPG12_04_2015-_1560_(resized).JPG

12_04_2015-_1549_(resized).JPG12_04_2015-_1549_(resized).JPG

#23 8 years ago

Will this eventually damage the game or just make the inserts look weird? If the game will not get damaged from this and it just looks funny, I couldn't care less. In the meantime, this is my first new game so I'm definitely going to send pics to my distro with the hopes he reports it to stern so that they are at least aware of it and can try to rectify it for future runs somehow.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Will this eventually damage the game or just make the inserts look weird?

Could go either way.

It could stop lifting, or it could chip around the edges.

Or both

IMG_2463_(resized).jpgIMG_2463_(resized).jpg

#26 8 years ago

Sorry boys I cannot get a good picture of it. I have it on the top left corner of the targaryen insert, running all down the left side of Lannister and running along the bottom of the 2x insert. I can also feel a variation in the playfield if I rub my fingers over those spots.

#27 8 years ago

Somebody in Germany posted this about his pro a couple months back, I believe. This definitely isn't the first instance I've seen reported.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This definitely isn't the first instance I've seen reported.

I'm sure it won't be the last, either.

I can usually find a little bit of ghosting on any clearcoated playfield somewhere; it just sucks when it happens on such a new game.

The plastic and the wood expand and contract at 2 different rates. The poor clearcoat gets caught in the middle.

60285-i_(resized).jpg60285-i_(resized).jpg

#29 8 years ago

Hello,

my GOT Pro had the same Problem (see pictures) I exchanged it.

Kind regrads

1_(resized).JPG1_(resized).JPG

2_(resized).JPG2_(resized).JPG

3_(resized).JPG3_(resized).JPG

4_(resized).JPG4_(resized).JPG

5_(resized).JPG5_(resized).JPG

#30 8 years ago

This is definitely reason for concern. If the ghosting causes the insert to lift a bit then you will start to get bits coming off the inserts. This happens to alot of the later Williams DMD games.

Shame to see this happening so soon. And since it is so early in ownership, I would be concerned about long term effects.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from eliottk:

Hello,
my GOT Pro had the same Problem (see pictures) I exchanged it.
Kind regrads

1_(resized).JPG2_(resized).JPG3_(resized).JPG4_(resized).JPG5_(resized).JPG

This is very similar to my situation. Sorry I couldn't get good pics, but these are almost the exact same spots on mine.

#32 8 years ago

I remember someone mentioning that it is best with a new game to pull it out of the box and let it sit for a week or more to let the playfield cure fully. Maybe Vid can say if this would help or not.

#33 8 years ago

well too late for that for me, but that would be good to know for the future. I talked to Trent and he is collecting pictures and serial numbers for now, and is having me keep an eye on it. I will keep everyone posted on what ends up happening with mine.

#34 8 years ago

Chuck, Yours probably has at least a thousand plays, right? At this stage mine only has around 300 or so. I'm just going to snap pics once a week or so.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Chuck, Yours probably has at least a thousand plays, right? At this stage mine only has around 300 or so. I'm just going to snap pics once a week or so.

Yes. However they could've been there for a while and I didn't notice until recently. I'll take a pic once a week too.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I remember someone mentioning that it is best with a new game to pull it out of the box and let it sit for a week or more to let the playfield cure fully. Maybe Vid can say if this would help or not.

One week will probably not matter in the overall scheme of things.

Those playfields were produced months before assembly; and if they came from Germany, then many months have passed before assembly.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Are they "Pro" versions? There is a thread where this is happing on a Met pro and the guy was told. Yes, this happens on the pros.

What a horrible checkmark in the feature matrix.

met_matrix_(resized).jpgmet_matrix_(resized).jpg

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

What a horrible checkmark in the feature matrix.
met_matrix_(resized).jpg

Some owners paid extra for what would have occurred over time for free.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Some owners paid extra for what would have occurred over time for free.

Kids these days. Gotta have it now!

#40 8 years ago

Where's the insert wear on my wares? I gotta have it now!!

#41 8 years ago

I'm almost positive this ghosting is from the inserts starting to sink. Under the right light I can totally tell that's what's happening with my Targaryen insert.

#42 8 years ago

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).pngimage_(resized).pngimage_(resized).pngimage_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#43 8 years ago

Well...now we know why the LEs cost so much more. They come with the ghost-free inserts.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...now we know why the LEs cost so much more. They come with the ghost-free inserts.

Haha. Didn't realize that was part of it. Makes the extra price seem more worth it now.

#45 8 years ago

Pro owner here. Mines doing it too. Didn't even notice it til I saw this thread. Thanks guys!

#46 8 years ago

Ok I think you guys just making me paranoid. My friend says mine isn't ghosting.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#47 8 years ago

I'm not seeing it. You look okay as of now.

#48 8 years ago

There are so many "Ghost Busters" jokes. but it is just not funny.

If they are sinking can they be taped up and re-glued or is this a risk to making it worse? At least re-glue to arrest more damage.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ok I think you guys just making me paranoid. My friend says mine isn't ghosting.
image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

I don't see anything in those pics.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

There are so many "Ghost Busters" jokes. but it is just not funny.
If they are sinking can they be taped up and re-glued or is this a risk to making it worse? At least re-glue to arrest more damage.

I don't do playfield restoration. Not willing to learn on a new game either. I'll just keep an eye on it and hope stern makes it right if it results in actual playfield damage that affects gameplay. Not worried about the look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-ghosting-on-new-stern-game-of-thrones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.