New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 260859)

Insert Experts - need help

By djsolzs

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by djsolzs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

372EAC6D-DC80-409B-B49A-F1EB9AE6EB11 (resized).jpeg
DF84666E-A53C-43EA-99B6-CAA38DA445CE (resized).jpeg

#1 10 months ago

Rare game Bally Black Belt. Had a pinball friend say this insert would be hard to near impossible to fix without replacement.

As rare as the game is I see no chance of replacing the insert - it’s sunk in but not a ton but enough to affect play.

How would you go about fixing this? Is there anyone out there making inserts to order I’m not aware of (long shot) just looking for the best approach. Thanks
372EAC6D-DC80-409B-B49A-F1EB9AE6EB11 (resized).jpegDF84666E-A53C-43EA-99B6-CAA38DA445CE (resized).jpeg

#2 10 months ago

I have had some success taking inserts out, placing the flat side against my granite countertop, gently heating with a heat gun, and pressing them flat while they cool. These were non faceted inserts and they were round, and I had a wood dowel the exact size. It's risky. Don't use too much heat, and don't use too much pressure.

#3 10 months ago

I wonder if you could heat it from underneath and push something up against it to raise that one side? Kinda the reverse of what years of a hot bulb and gravity originally did to it... It may come out but that may be on your agenda anyway.

Or simply leave it the way it is.

#4 10 months ago

Id like to try something without completely wrecking it - in the second example would you still heat with a heat gun?

Having no experience heating up inserts - how quickly do they soften?

Thanks for the input guys never thought about these ideas

#5 10 months ago

The other option is to fill the cracking with some clear, touch up paint, then fill the remaining cupping with more clear.

#6 10 months ago

Fill the cups with clear and then use water slide decals.

#7 10 months ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Id like to try something without completely wrecking it - in the second example would you still heat with a heat gun?
Having no experience heating up inserts - how quickly do they soften?
Thanks for the input guys never thought about these ideas

They go from not ready to shape to ruined in about 1 second once you go over the 'cliff'.

Whatever you do unless it's fill while it's in the pf, you should remove it from the PF to work on it just for ease of working.

#8 10 months ago

Can you get a new one? That one looks burnt, so you will most likely never get it perfect, i have removed them, heated them up with a heat gun to get some of the bow out of them than sand and polish the face to make them look new and reglue them in. But they were all clear with no artwork on them. If your just trying to fix as a players game and not repaint the artwork you could remove it and heat it up with face on wax paper then use something to push the bow out of it, But you risk the chance of it turning into a shrinky dink if your not careful.

#9 10 months ago

I just have no idea of where I could even get a replacement. If I could I’d be good with scanner and water slide decal over it.

I thought about filling the cup - but the bow is somewhat protruding upward. I guess I’d have to push the insert down some first and then fill?

Quoted from crlush:

Can you get a new one? That one looks burnt, so you will most likely never get it perfect, i have removed them, heated them up with a heat gun to get some of the bow out of them than sand and polish the face to make them look new and reglue them in. But they were all clear with no artwork on them. If your just trying to fix as a players game and not repaint the artwork you could remove it and heat it up with face on wax paper then use something to push the bow out of it, But you risk the chance of it turning into a shrinky dink if your not careful.

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

The other option is to fill the cracking with some clear, touch up paint, then fill the remaining cupping with more clear.

Interesting idea on this one I didnt read it and understand completely the first time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 137.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 18.95
$ 25.00
Lighting - Led
Pinshakers
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 11.00
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside