Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Does anyone have experience with redoing insert decals? I am looking to buy a machine that needs the inerts redone and I looked at videos on the internet and it looks complicated as hell!

According to the internet you have to:
    1) strip your playfield top and bottom and take it out
    2) bang out all the inserts and hope you don't chip the playfield paint/coating around the inserts in the process
    3) wet sand each insert until original image is gone
    4) put gel glue in each insert hole, put the insert back in, beat it down with a rubber hammer and flat piece of wood until level with the playfield
    5) then perfectly place each and every insert decal back on the sanded and glued inserts

Man what a pain in the ass, and likely beyond my newb skill level. Does anyone have instructions on an easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

#2 10 years ago

are you asking about just inset decals or replacing inserts too?

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

are you asking about just inset decals or replacing inserts too?

The inserts themselves are fine, just the decals "graphics" need to be stripped and replaced.

#5 10 years ago

You don't have to take out the inserts. You can put painters around to inserts and sand the decals off. I would strip down the playfield before sanding

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinWiz17:

You don't have to take out the inserts. You can put painters around to inserts and sand the decals off. I would strip down the playfield before sanding

This is a great idea. 500 grit? wet or dry?

#8 10 years ago

your guide is crazy technical. The inserts are ok just the decals are peeling. Is there an easy "Newb" way to replace the decals. There is a set on ebay I could buy but it's from classic arcades and I just read a thread that his products are no good and not as described.

#9 10 years ago

make sure you get the thinner insert decals without the mylar covering if you intend to have it clearcoated.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

This is a great idea. 500 grit? wet or dry?

Wet and I used 1000 grit. If 1000 doesn't work for you work your way down like 800 and see what works for you. When using wet you have to watch you painters tape because it will get a little wet and start to break apart. So make sure you watch where you sanding. It pretty simple so I wouldn't worry.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

your guide is crazy technical. The inserts are ok just the decals are peeling. Is there an easy "Newb" way to replace the decals. There is a set on ebay I could buy but it's from classic arcades and I just read a thread that his products are no good and not as described.

Yep, use a freshly sharpened chisel, completely vertically (not at an angle like you would normally use a chisel), and simply scrape off the old paint and clear.

Buy or make some waterslide decals and stick them back down.

Clear over the top of the decals.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-decals-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.