(Topic ID: 145154)

Insert decal replacement - what would you do here?

By EvanDickson

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20151125_220647530.jpg
IMG_20151125_220702473.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have a set of insert decals I ordered from classic arcades for my taxi. Instead of a decal for each of Santa, Marilyn, Drac, etc, I received one giant decal for the whole middle section of the playfield. I think it will be very difficult to line such a large decal up with the rest of the art, avoid air bubbles, etc.

Had anyone else experienced this? I think I might use an exacto knife to cut out the individual circle decals I need. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if my plan is a good one or a bad one. The decals are very expensive, and I only get one shot, don't want to f#%k up my playfield.

Pf:
IMG_20151125_220647530.jpgIMG_20151125_220647530.jpg

Giant all in one decal:
IMG_20151125_220702473.jpgIMG_20151125_220702473.jpg

#2 8 years ago

If you're going to apply that, make sure you level out those inserts well. Clear that area a bit, then lay the decal. Then clear over the area. Try not to clear too much as you don't want an edge.

I did this w my old pinbot light grid. Came out awesome. I used krylon crystal clear in a rattle can.

I'm assuming you don't want to go crazy with an old taxi pf.

#3 8 years ago

I would sand the area first a bit too before you clear.

Level inserts
Sand
Clear
Light sand
Decal
Clear
Ligh sand.

Use isopropyl in between steps to cleAn.

#4 8 years ago

Hey Evan

I ordered the same and did exactly what you mentioned. I only cut what was needed out and lined it up with each head on the PF. My blue was in good shape. Bi did the same with the 2x. Etc. taxi Cabs and cut the cab out rather than try to align the entire giraffe head sticking out the window....BUT

Before I did anything, I made a 600dpi color scan on the copier at work so I would have a backup. Ended up printing the heads on water slide decals and using those since the original decals were so much thicker. I used some of the thick ones in other areas.

#5 8 years ago

Drscottsmith is right on target - I also recommend you scan the decal before you cut it just in case you have an issue cutting or applying it. I would also use a new exacto knife blade (or in my case scapel blade) to cut the piece you need out and apply only that.

#6 8 years ago

I'm in the exact same predicament. I received my decals yesterday and have never tackled anything like this. When you guys say sand, do you mean remove all artwork that the decals will cover or only the artwork on the actual insert? I also wonder how krylon crystal clear would hold up?

#7 8 years ago

When I did my pinbot I sanded over the whole area the decal will be applied. However, my decal had holes cut out for the inserts.

The point of sanding is to smooth the area uniform, but also to give something for the clear to grab onto.

Search out my pinbot light grid overlay thread.

#8 8 years ago

I think the scan / backup, and then cut and stick is what I'll end up doing. Good call on the scan / backup plan. I'm not planning to strip / restore / clearcoat the pf, so not looking to get into the extra steps of sanding / clearcoating / etc right now.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-decal-replacement-what-would-you-do-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.