(Topic ID: 23033)

Insert coin. Do you at home?

By SPeD66

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

When I got my HUO CV Taylor made a comment saying that there is no way a coin has ever entered the coin door. Therefore, I'll never do it on any of my machines.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from rplante:

I understand your thinking here but aren't you just fooling yourself as you have the key for the coin-box now?

Absolutely. Intellectually I know that I can just open up the coin box and get the quarters back, but the distinctive coin dropping into the box noise, getting the machine "credit added" noise, getting matches and winning free plays is just all part of what makes the experience fun for me, and I also feel a bit more invested in the outcome of the game. For awhile I had one of my machines on free play while I was getting some mechs fixed up for it, and it just wasn't as fun. Crazy I know, but to each their own I guess.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Absolutely. Intellectually I know that I can just open up the coin box and get the quarters back, but the distinctive coin dropping into the box noise, getting the machine "credit added" noise, getting matches and winning free plays is just all part of what makes the experience fun for me, and I also feel a bit more invested in the outcome of the game. For awhile I had one of my machines on free play while I was getting some mechs fixed up for it, and it just wasn't as fun. Crazy I know, but to each their own I guess.

Hey no problem Paul. If it increases your enjoyment, and it sounds like it does, then by all means coin up.

There really is no right or wrong way here. For me it wasn't worth the hassle, for you, it most certainly is and I completely understand where your coming from.

Like my business partner used to say, if it's not fun, why are we doing it?

#54 11 years ago

I thought about doing tokens but too much of a hassle buying mechs and tokens when I can just set the machine to free play. I kind of found it funny when I picked up my Whirlwind and someone set up a button on the outside of the cab to add credits when all they had to do is set the game to free play.

#55 11 years ago

Question for all you TAF owners past and present:

If your game is set on free play, does Gomez still say "Welcome Back!" when you hit start right after the previous game ended?

This is key for me.
    (Not that there was a doubt in my mind that I was going to use tokens or quarters. Just curious.)

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Question for all you TAF owners past and present:
    If your game is set on free play, does Gomez still say "Welcome Back!" when you hit start right after the previous game ended?
    This is key for me.
    (Not that there was a doubt in my mind that I was going to use tokens or quarters. Just curious.)

Yes I have heard him say that.

#57 11 years ago

I keep my pins on free play. My arcades are set to coin mech, except for my Marvel vs Capcom 2 machine for tourneys. My Ice Cold Beer has to be set to coin play, since its too much hastle to change out the mechs...plus I think its cool people drop coins into it.

#58 11 years ago

I wonder if you nudge the machine more if you pay to play?

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

There is also an Easter egg on BSD that only works when you press the start button. You don’t get the Easter Egg on free play.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I thought about doing tokens but too much of a hassle buying mechs and tokens when I can just set the machine to free play. I kind of found it funny when I picked up my Whirlwind and someone set up a button on the outside of the cab to add credits when all they had to do is set the game to free play.

I have thought more about it and may do the tokens. My kids "love" to keep hitting the start button and putting 4 players for a one player game. Maybe this will help prevent this. Might have to experiment.

#61 11 years ago

My tokens are now en route! Can't wait!

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

My tokens are now en route! Can't wait!

I too just received a box of 45 old tokens.
    Now if I could only figure out how to convert my coin mechs from quarters to tokens.
    I tried a couple different things i saw on yousube clips on how to convert but no such luck.
    Any help/thoughts from the group would be appreciated.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

I too just received a box of 45 old tokens.
    Now if I could only figure out how to convert my coin mechs from quarters to tokens.
    I tried a couple different things i saw on yousube clips on how to convert but no such luck.
    Any help/thoughts from the group would be appreciated.

I just use quarters.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

I just use quarters.

I'm starting to think a roll of quarters makes the most sense.
    But those old tokens are pretty sweet looking!

#65 11 years ago

Quoted from Ranhorton:I'm starting to think a roll of quarters makes the most sense.
    But those old tokens are pretty sweet looking!

That's what I found, but i also have a slot machine that takes quarters, so it made even more sense to me. Some complain about using real money, to which I say it's not "that" much money when you really think about the cost of your machines and the cost of getting token mechs. Others complain about friends stealing quarters...to which I say, well, you need new friends.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Others complain about friends stealing quarters...to which I say, well, you need new friends.

Hilarious.
    Well played.

#67 11 years ago

I personally don't. But when my nephews come over, I give them a handfull of quarters because they like putting the coins in.

#68 11 years ago

Kids are the true test. They know what's fun.

#69 11 years ago

Ain't that the truth!

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insert-coin-do-you-at-home/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.