20170805_003026 (resized).jpg
20170805_003025 (resized).jpg
20170805_003010 (resized).jpg
20170722_140005 (resized).jpg
IMGA0677 (resized).JPG
20170720_230213 (resized).jpg
20170720_230216 (resized).jpg
20170720_224049 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 6 years ago

The game looks decked out and great.....but...here's a tip on those speaker lights:

Certain acrylic designs, especially ones with a lot of etched area, look MUCH better if the original speaker grill is NOT mounted directly behind the designs. Getting the grill from being between the light source and the designs makes it so the grill holes don't show in the designs. It also makes it so the grill is lit in the back area and not the speaker. This gives it a cleaner look in the lighted area. Different mounting methods are mentioned in my install instructions, but it seems they go largely overlooked as I see a lot of Speaker Light Kits not looking as good as they could because of the order things are mounted.

If a person doesn't like the area around the design being open...it even helps things a bit by adding a couple of washers (as spacers) all the way around to get the back of the design away from the grills a bit.

Pictured is the same design, same light kit frame and same light kit setting. I just took these pictures when I saw your thread.

Enjoy the game. It looks great.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

TRON mounting example (resized).jpgTRON mounting example (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from ccatalyst:

Doug, first of all thank you so very much for pointing this out, I went ahead and did what you showed and immediately saw a massive improvement, the acrylics almost take on a holographic appearance since they reflect on the speaker grill, It is a much appreciated improvement, but then I noticed the gap which you referred to - which was not too pretty since you could see the screws and the led strip was beginning to lift and you could now notice it immediately. Instead of using washers I went to my local home depot and picked up white 1/2" x 1/2" x .194 nylon spacers, much better now, the tension of the spacers helps push the led strip taught, and covers the screws nicely and since it is white, it reflects the colors of the leds beautifully. I am including pics to show everyone. Thank you so much for this recommendation.

Yeah, getting the grills away from the back of those designs helps a lot. My next suggestion would have been to flip the light plate so the corner mounting holes are against the speaker panel and out of sight. Mounted with the mounting holes toward the panel...you can still see the light frame edges, but not the corner mounting area. With the spacers in there...the frame corners aren't as noticeable anyway (as the spacers are on them). It's a very small and subtle different anyway, no matter which direction the light frame is mounted.

After seeing your close up pics...that's a weird configuration. It appears to be my light frames (unless someone else is copying them that I don't know about), but someone has put different light strips in them. Believe me, I know about the copies out there, but I also know the small difference they have that makes it so I can spot them (as far as I know). I don't believe my light kits have had any issues with the light strips peeling away from the frames since I started doing things a bit differently about 3 years ago. On the Speaker Light Kits, I have kept things basically the same for the past (almost) 5 years, but there has been constant involvements with parts, putting them together and the testing processes on them.

Enjoy the game, It looks great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insanely-tricked-out-modded-tron-pro?tu=DugFreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.