Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Nintegageo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2360 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_7809720_0.gif
    Time (resized).jpg
    #1 8 months ago

Hoping for some tips and tricks.

First year into ownership and now at my max space allotment (three) and while it is great to be an owner the overall atmosphere continues to feel off to me and I think same for friends and family. I have plenty of fun decor in my small space but it feels more modern/sterile then the barcade/noisy atmosphere I grew up in.

So, I was curious to how people dial in the rooms (e.g. background music, how bright/dim the lights, fun carpet, how loud/quiet each machine). I understand this can be room specific (mine is relatively small) so any and all thoughts welcome.

#2 8 months ago

You probably already saw this but its a really good thread and can get some great ideas from it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms

#3 8 months ago

Check out this thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms/page/460#post-7841268
    Here is how mine has evolved over time.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms?tu=santaeatscheese#op

I like old arcade stuff on the wall (that others have taken out of machines to put better examples in).

Time (resized).jpgTime (resized).jpg

#4 8 months ago

80's movie posters and lots of framed pinball distributor flyers. Arcade ambiance on a budget

#5 8 months ago

Shasta and cold cuts on a buffet table.

#6 8 months ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Shasta and cold cuts on a buffet table.

Wow! A whole buffet? Generous. I usually just limit my spread to 3 deli meats.

#7 8 months ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Shasta and cold cuts on a buffet table

If you are not serving 'Grape' flavored Shasta and a 'HAM' sandwich!-I'm out-jeesh!

Pinside_forum_7809720_0.gifPinside_forum_7809720_0.gif

#8 8 months ago

Shasta and a cheese pump.

Seriously, the lights. The lights create atmosphere. Same room, different lighting, it can change the whole thing and vibe.

Also insist on the fact that your pins are on freeplay. In 2023 nothing is free so even if your guests are not into pinball, if it's free, you are in a happy place lol.

#9 8 months ago

I put on some 80's alternative radio on Pandora.
    Tell people it's for fun and NOT a tournament.
    Set out some subs, pizza, snacks, pop, water.
    If comfortable allow alcohol but don't provide it.

If a lot of noobs and/or kids, set newer games to auto-plunger. If they haven't plunged their next ball in 30 seconds to a minute they probably aren't coming back. I advise my seasoned pinballers of this setting in case a few fire up some multiplayer competition.

Be mindful you could have many games alongside each other being played at once. Try not to overload your circuits. Games that are recently turned on in attract mode draw far less current than games that have been on for 6 hours receiving constant play.

My results from last weekend:

#10 8 months ago

Several bong hits, cold beer, and whiskey.

#11 8 months ago

I would also like to add that when non-people are over they need the most BASIC of explanations on what to do. If you tell them that Monster Bash is an easy game, just shoot the monsters repeatedly to qualify them and get to the wizard mode... people will just flail away as they have no idea what is really going on. HOWEVER, if you give non pinball guests over the most basic of goals "try and shoot Frankenstein a bunch and you'll start a multiball"... you will get people actually trying to do that and have fun. Don't think about making it competitive, think about what you would tell a 6 year old as a goal. You're random guests' skills are about as good as you crochet skills are.

#12 8 months ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Several bong hits, cold beer, and whiskey.

this man has both wisdom and good manners.

#13 8 months ago

I like having the gameroom lights off and lit only with neon signs, best at creating an arcade atmosphere. Phillips hue lights can achieve this affect somewhat as well by mixing different colors across a room. Blacklights with a cool reactive rug or cool wall art can be nice too. Have a few games attract sounds on so its not overwhelming but still add the sound of an arcade. Seating is important too. People need a spot to sit and put down a drink/eat a snack. If its standing room only casual gamers will feel out of place when not playing and prolly exit quickly. Sounds like you have a smallish space so try some stools and pub tables maybe. A pub table in the corner with a megatouch will entertain casual players immensely.
    Hard to give specific advice without seeing your space tho.

#14 8 months ago

Forgot to mention the importance of a real arcade game, not a 1up. Something about the glow from a crt screen. A small cocktail like ms pac or galaga is a twofer, a game and a seating area.

#15 8 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I put on some 80's alternative radio on Pandora.
    Tell people it's for fun and NOT a tournament.
    Set out some subs, pizza, snacks, pop, water.
    If comfortable allow alcohol but don't provide it.
    If a lot of noobs and/or kids, set newer games to auto-plunger. If they haven't plunged their next ball in 30 seconds to a minute they probably aren't coming back. I advise my seasoned pinballers of this setting in case a few fire up some multiplayer competition.
    Be mindful you could have many games alongside each other being played at once. Try not to overload your circuits. Games that are recently turned on in attract mode draw far less current than games that have been on for 6 hours receiving constant play.
    My results from last weekend:

Wish I was closer.

#16 8 months ago

Invite them over and have the games turned on. Having the jukebox on is always a plus. Really, it does not take much more than just opening up our home for our guests.

#17 8 months ago

Get yourself some Lit Frames (company name) from Brad .

IMG_2360 (resized).jpegIMG_2360 (resized).jpeg
    #18 8 months ago
    Quoted from rod90:

Invite them over and have the games turned on. Having the jukebox on is always a plus. Really, it does not take much more than just opening up our home for our guests.

I might just be running with the wrong crowd. Seems lately if it's not super simple people don't want to engage. Kinda goes to the concept that arcades make the most money on those damn ticket machines.

Appreciate the suggestions, going to try some music and maybe dim the lights a bit for more of a bar feel. That being said I just got venom and the strobe effect on that game burns my retina's!

#19 8 months ago
    Quoted from Dalinar:

I might just be running with the wrong crowd. Seems lately if it's not super simple people don't want to engage. Kinda goes to the concept that arcades make the most money on those damn ticket machines.
    Appreciate the suggestions, going to try some music and maybe dim the lights a bit for more of a bar feel. That being said I just got venom and the strobe effect on that game burns my retina's!

Dwight seems to love to make the player lose track of the ball with blinding flashers.

#20 8 months ago

if you are trying to engage casuals, you should consider getting a pin with a more simple layout/ruleset in the collection. A classic EM or solid state with a fun theme.

Only having 3 of the newest and most complicated pins ever made is going to be tough for people who aren't already into playing pinball. I can almost guarantee that the simple game will be the one casual guests gravitate towards and will play multiple times.

#21 8 months ago

I have 12 pins, and with some neon and posters, it creates its own atmosphere!A few joints also helps

#22 8 months ago

There's Lumalegz..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.