Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pinball is strongly rooted in tradition...”

• ... so new manufactureres need to carefully manage innovation over time to be successful 7 votes
      29%
    • ... yet the pinball community is ready for any level of innovation and changes - bring it on 17 votes
      71%

(24 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Lots of talk recently on how much our pinball community is ready for radical change when it comes to new manufacturers like deeproot leading the charge into new levels of pinball innovation.

My view is that our pinball community as it stands is deeply rooted in the history of pinball machines and are not ready for radical changes all at once regardless of how much sense they might logically make.

I define radical change as cabinets that look completely different with thinner backboxes or with no backboxes at all for example. Multimorphic is an example of pure innovation with fantastic ideas and a future vision of what pinball could be but without respect for the fact that many of us love pinball BECAUSE of its ties to our childhoods and it’s history so too much change too fast can be a big turnoff when it comes down to buying. Other innovations like game saving with QR codes that you take a pic of with your phone so you can resume later or cameras etc are fine.

Any mechanical innovations and gameplay mechanics are welcomed of course! This is where the pinball battlefield will mostly be won or lost - not with different looking cabinet designs!

I’m writing this out of concern that if deeproot is trying to push too many innovations too quickly, it could be detrimental to their success as we’ve seen in the sales numbers of recent companies that tried to reimagine too much of what we have come to love too quickly. I want tons of innovation for this hobby and hope deeproot hits it out of the park. To do this, in my opinion, I want tons of innovation on the playfield but not something that doesn’t look like the pinball I know. For that, like machines without backboxes for example, I need more time.

What are your thoughts about how much radical change our community is ready for?

Let’s be respectul please (and those of you who just want to derail and troll this thread and shut down real discussion, please visit another thread thanks - hilton please, this means you as you are not personally the dictator who owns all pinball conversation).

#2 4 years ago

We just had this conversation in it's entirety in the deep root thread. Feel free to join in the fun, at least 5 full pages:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/60

#3 4 years ago

They haven't announced anything, there's nothing of substance to talk about, so I vote who cares. Show me something, and I'll see what I think of it. Until then it's meaningless.

I definitely give no shits about pinball from my childhood, I didn't care at all about pinball when I was a kid. Just like kids now definitely don't care. It all comes down to execution. Nobody (relatively speaking) cares about what Multimorphic is doing because their game packages look like amateur hour. It's all engineering, with no art direction, and you can only sell so many tech demo machines to people for $10k. If the games were compelling no one would care they weren't traditional.

Heighway did a thinner backbox already and changed the cabinet. Nobody loved either because they were kinda crummy designs, but it's not the reason the company failed.

I find the current state of pinball hopelessly boring. I sure hope someone shakes it up. But catering to nostalgic old men is the way to stay in business, so I won't hold my breath, I'll just hold onto my wallet instead.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We just had this conversation in it's entirety in the deep root thread. Feel free to join in the fun, at least 5 full pages:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/60

Notice how he moves fast to shut down conversations. What kind of a person thinks that “this conversation has been had it’s entirety”?

If pinside is still a place I can still create a thread and have a conversation with other pinsiders can someone let me know? It’s becoming the kind of place where I don’t feel welcome anymore because of a few that troll, derail and want to shut down conversations and moderators seem to be ok with this. Is this what moderators think is best for pinside, a future where few feel welcome and conversations that are controlled ny the same few?

Again, I think these discussions have not been completed but rather have just begun.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Notice how he moves fast to shut down conversations. What kind of a person thinks that “this conversation has been had it’s entirety”?
    If pinside is still a place I can make a thread and have a conversation with other pinsiders can someone let me know? It’s becoming the kind of place where I don’t feel welcome anymore because of a few that troll, derail and want to shut down conversations and moderators seem to be ok with this. Is this what moderators think is best for pinside, a future where no one else feels welcome?
    Again, I think these discussions have not been completed but rather have just begun.

I'm just saying we don't need a new thread to discuss all of the bullshit we talked about - for way too long really - a couple days ago. Just join in the existing discussion, why the need to "own it?"

The fact that your thread is going nowhere fast shows that I'm right.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fact that your thread is going nowhere fast shows that I'm right.

Moderators, or others, can someone tell me how to ban a troll like this from detailing all my threads? It really is hurting my perception of pinside as an open place for discussion.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Moderators, or others, can someone tell me how to ban a troll like this from detailing all my threads? It really is hurting my perception of pinside as an open place for discussion.

Put him on ignore, or grow up and don't respond if you don't like his posts. Hover over his avatar and click the little mic icon, boom, you'll never see him again. Your thread will be that much more empty.

Your opening post wasn't particularly interesting. Asking people what innovations they'd like to see in pinball might provoke discussion. Instead you said what innovations that we haven't seen yet do you not like?

I dunno, I hate the levitating pin that doesn't exist, it's too expensive. Bring back legs! Have a free thread bump, good luck.

#8 4 years ago

Is pinside being hosted in China now or something? Who the f&ck do you think you guys are determining who can make threads or what threads are good or not? Let threads that people make live or die by themselves. If you find this thread so uninteresting then drain it yourself.

How unAmerican it is to try to shut down open conversation. Shameful.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Is pinside being hosted in China now or something?

Dutchland

#10 4 years ago

Anyway, let’s get back to the topic at hand.

And thanks for the votes - interesting to see where our community stands

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Is pinside being hosted in China now or something? Who the f&ck do you think you guys are determining who can make threads or what threads are good or not? Let threads that people make live or die by themselves. If you find this thread so uninteresting then drain it yourself.
    How unamerican it is to try to shut down open conversation. Shameful.

This one has died by itself as it's boring and we all talked about it last week.

What do you have against China anyway? And why are you insisting a forum run by the Dutch act "American?"

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

How unamerican it is to try to shut down open conversation. Shameful.

Says the guy starting threads on a Dutch website

edit: Also, show some respect and capitalize the A buddy!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Says the guy starting threads on a Dutch website
    edit: Also, show some respect and capitalize the A buddy!

Hah right

OK, for the Americans that constantly try to shut down conversation like communist China, have some respect.

Ok, hopefully the master troll of pinside is done now and we can continue... thanks for the votes

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Put him on ignore, or grow up and don't respond if you don't like his posts.

Would make sense but he’s so bad as a troll that he posts every second post on many threads now making conversation on pinside difficult or impossible.

And seems like he had full backing by pinside staff now since they do nothing about it. Really damaging pinside if you look at how he posts

#15 4 years ago

None of what we, the fans of pinball, want matters. Here's why.

-People will buy games even though it's the same layout as another game.
    -People will buy games even though it uses the same mechs it always has.
    -People will also buy games that have fresh layouts and new mechs
    -People will pretty much buy anything
    -Companies like money
    -Companies will try to save as much money as they can while still receiving the same amount of money so that they can make more money
    -Why would they innovate when they don't need to?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Notice how he moves fast to shut down conversations.

Stirring up sh*t is what he lives for. He's kind of like a dog pecker gnat, very annoying.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/innovation-vs-tradition-in-pinball-a-warning-for-deeproot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.