7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SDB_Wire_Color.PNG
#1 7 years ago

I have a 1980 Bally Fathom, its works great except the cave inline drop target's don't drop at the end of the game and it traps the ball behind the 5X target.

I have gone through every setting, switch test is all clear, no solenoid problems, recapped, etc...

Still does it...any suggestions/help

#2 7 years ago

Are you sure that dip switch #6 on the MPU is set to OFF? If it is set to ON, the ball(s) will remain in the saucer at the end of the game, if set to OFF, the balls should kick out at the end of the game.

#3 7 years ago

Yep, went through all 32 dip switches. Tried various combinations of rule sets.

Balls kick out but the drop targets stay up...ball gets trapped behind drop targets.

#4 7 years ago

Check your solenoid expander board for cracked solder joints and burned out lamp.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Check your solenoid expander board for cracked solder joints and burned out lamp.

This. A tell-tale sign that things are not right is the reset sequence at the start of a ball. It should raise all four drop target banks, then drop the inlines one at a time. Any deviation from this, check that solenoid expander and make sure the lamp is working as it needs it for proper loading of the circuit.

1 week later
#6 7 years ago

Bought a new Alltek Ultimate MPU board and Alltex Ultimate solenoid expander board...so hopefully that will correct the issue. Ive ran every test and everything checks out...so Im stumped...voice stopped working now too, but sound effects still work. Rebuilt the sound board and was working great.

Never ending labor of love...

#7 7 years ago

Ok put in the new expander board, no luck. Im starting to think when I replaced the old molex housing that I got the wires in the wrong spot. Where on the schematic can i find the color of the wire that coinsides with the boards pins? I found the wire color legend.

#8 7 years ago

Last page of the schematics give indication to the wire colors. See the diagram below for more details:
First digit indicates primary color, second digit indicates stripe/trace color (0 = none, i.e. solid primary color only)

SDB_Wire_Color.PNGSDB_Wire_Color.PNG

#9 7 years ago

Thank you Quench, very helpful!

1 week later
#10 7 years ago

I'm not sure you interpreted what was said correctly. The solenoid expander board is not the same as the solenoid driver board. The solenoid expander board is a tiny board attached to the underside of the playfield, and it just has a relay and a couple of other components on it. If you bought a solenoid driver board, you spent a lot more than you needed to. The solenoid expander board is available from K's Arcade for around $40, but it's usually the solder connections, as previously stated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

£ 195.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/inline-cave-targets-dont-drop-at-end-of-game-trapping-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.