10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 74 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

So I'm working on a project to try and make my own custom topper and I was going to use the same method that I've read for recreating plastics, using inkjet printable adhesive backed transparent vinyl.

I know I could order it online, but I have the day off from work and was hoping to get some work done on it today. Unfortunately, all of the stores that say they carry it, don't actually carry it! I've tried AC Moore, Blick art supplies, Staples, Walmart, even Joanne Fabrics plus some local shops that do camera work etc. I also inquired at kinkos if they print on it in their print shop, but they said no, because all they use are laser printers and it burns up the vinyl.

I was hoping to make this in a way that doesn't obliterate my budget. Any suggestions of stores to try? From what I understand (although I could be wrong) it would cost a fortune to get a one-off printed at a regular printing place.

Any help appreciated!

#2 10 years ago

Try hobby lobby if you have one local. What I have been using is a product made by Avery. It's a clear sticker paper. I still haven't found anything that is perfectly clear though but this stuff has been the clearest. It still has a bit of a haze to it from the adhesive.

If you find something that is crystal clear please let me know as I have several projects that I need it for and just haven't found it.

I did talk with several of the modders out their that are making their own decals and plastics and they all seem to outsource this part.

#3 10 years ago

I checked with a local print shop place (Printwell, I think the name is), and for a backglass sized print job, they would charge about $40. I'm looking into something similar to reproduce a backglass.

#4 10 years ago

Hi Matt
    In most instances..In order to print on to clear material properly, the media has to be be warmed up first so that the ink can stick to it. Otherwise it will just roll off. Also too...most of the time you won't find this media in sheets rather in roll form.

Fortunately..I have the capacity to do this. PM me if you want me to take a look at your file.
    Thanks
    Joe

1 week later
    #5 10 years ago

Update! So I got a product in the mail that worked great, it's an inkjet printable vinyl from a company called Grafix.

I printed a small part from my topper project, stuck it to polycarbonate and attempted to cut it out....

...with very little success. All I have is a table-mount rotary tool and it just chewed up / melted the plastic.

Do you guys think that a plastics place could cut it for me if I applied the images beforehand? It requires some precision cutting that I am just not capable of. I am going to email a place near me next week for more info. Anyone have an idea on what something like this would cost?

I actually took my images to a sign shop around the corner who said they could do it, but they never got back to me.

#6 10 years ago

I've cut Lexan with a band saw with great success. I'd probably have the shop cut the material before adding graphic. That way they can leave the protective sheet on it.

#7 10 years ago

I agree, would probably be easier to have it cut prior to image. Make sure you post pics when your done!

10 years later
    #8 74 days ago

When you did you plastics, did you just scan each one and print them onto the vinyl.
    I just opened adobe photoshop last week and never having touched this type of software I'm at a bit of a loss how you just crop out the plastic piece, so you can add multiple pieces on one sheet.
    Any help!!

So I'm working on a project to try and make my own custom topper and I was going to use the same method that I've read for recreating plastics, using inkjet printable adhesive backed transparent vinyl.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/inkjet-printable-transparent-vinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.