Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

original_(resized).jpg
    DSCN4393_(resized).JPG
    1_5384222264016018fbcff002bc06b9e9_(resized).jpg
    12905179_1765845666985338_1320663340_n_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    336f1_(resized).jpg
    article-2106359-11EC2CFA000005DC-788_634x417_(resized).jpg
    Clear_Lacquer_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

The purist in me wants to try and dig to find info on exactly what the PlastiKote was on mid 60's Williams machines; kinda like how people dug up info on what diamond plate actually was.

It would be nice to see if there was a modern day equivalent; albeit probably not but at least i would have satisfied the curiosity in me.

I have been to the 6th page of google and also went as far as contacting the PlastiKote company (now owned by valsapar) without much direction as well.

#2 8 years ago

I don't know what it is, but it's tough!

#3 8 years ago

Test under the apron.

If a drop of alcohol makes it sticky, it's Shellac

If Lacquer Thinner makes it sticky, you guess it, it's Lacquer.

Do the test in this order, because Lacquer Thinner can affect Shellac.

#4 8 years ago

It's not shellac for sure. No matter what I use it stays hard. I have removed additional topcoats that were added but the Plastcote stays intact. Only on Williams plasticote. The others don't fare so well.

#5 8 years ago

Remember there is a sealer coat that goes down first so the ink does not soak into the wood - nothing will dissolve that.

The top coat is what was screened over the playfield after it was printed.

#6 8 years ago

Alcohol left on the apron (dime sized) does not affect it. Lacquer thinner of the same size causes it to gum up and be able to be removed via fingernail. Clean wood underneath.

Yes O-din, I agree its super tough and has held up nicely over the decades.

Ironically the original plant in Medina OH is closing this month! Better get on the phone asap to see if i can find info.

I got this from a very nice Valspar customer service lady, its a start!
    "Plasti-Kote was founded in 1923. Its headquarters was located in Cleveland Ohio. It was acquired by Valspar in 1998"

I called the 330 area code number and got Valspar headquarters. Be nice to talk to an old timer physically at the plant.

#7 8 years ago

It would be nice to be able to talk to Harry Williams or Steve Kordek. They'd know!

#8 8 years ago

is it possible to get in touch with them?

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

is it possible to get in touch with them?

I don't think either of us are ready for that. RIP both of them and thanks for all they did.

#10 8 years ago

One would be 110, and one would be 104. Both gone, sadly

#11 8 years ago

But they sure did a lot for pinball while they were alive. Two of the great ones.

#12 8 years ago

Was the plant called plastikote? My godfather worked for several paint plants, mostly dupont, but several others in oh and mi, and he is 92.

#13 8 years ago

Looks like it may be made in europe as well....

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Looks like it may be made in europe as well....

They still sell Plasti-kote Clear Lacquer here in the States, but it's probably not the same formula from 60 years ago....

Clear_Lacquer_(resized).jpgClear_Lacquer_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago

Probably less lead in it at the very least

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

One would be 110, and one would be 104. Both gone, sadly

well there goes my true naivete of pinball history right there!

Quoted from amkoepfer:

Was the plant called plastikote? My godfather worked for several paint plants, mostly dupont, but several others in oh and mi, and he is 92.

yes the plant is in Medina, OH. An online article says its closing down April 30th for good as well. Be cool if he remembered something about this!

We are relatively sure its a lacquer; wonder if it was nitro or acrylic based.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

well there goes my true naivete of pinball history right there!

Here is Steve when the last pinball machine went down the line at Williams.

He lived to be 100 years old.

article-2106359-11EC2CFA000005DC-788_634x417_(resized).jpgarticle-2106359-11EC2CFA000005DC-788_634x417_(resized).jpg

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

We are relatively sure its a lacquer; wonder if it was nitro or acrylic based.

Nitro around since the 1920s

Acrylic around since the 1950s

Could be either.

Might have to send a chip off to a lab somewhere.

#19 8 years ago

Life Guard Finish!
    Wonder if that's the same stuff.

336f1_(resized).jpg336f1_(resized).jpg

#20 8 years ago

The thing I don't get is if IS indeed a lacquer, and all other games were lacquer coated back then, why was it advertised? What's so distinguishable? That's what I want to find out. Unless this was what they called lacquer and everything before that was shellac. Don't know enough about timelines to determine that.

#21 8 years ago

Just send me that Eager Beaver and you won't have to worry about it.

There is a lot of lack of info from Williams back in the day. We just take what we can scrape together and do the best we can with it today. The plasticote did seem like an improvement over what they used in the 50s.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

The thing I don't get is if IS indeed a lacquer, and all other games were lacquer coated back then, why was it advertised?

Do you think that new Tide detergent "Now with brighter colors", makes your clothes any brighter than Gain?

Do you think that it makes your clothes any brighter than the old Tide?

#23 8 years ago

I try to stay away from HE Tide, but it is getting harder to find the real stuff for my non HE washer.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Do you think that new Tide detergent "Now with brighter colors", makes your clothes any brighter than Gain?
    Do you think that it makes your clothes any brighter than the old Tide?

Haha now I'm sad that everything is a lie!

#25 8 years ago

I got ahold of my godfather, and unfortunately that wasnt one of the companies he worked for, so.....sorry no info for you!

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

The thing I don't get is if IS indeed a lacquer, and all other games were lacquer coated back then, why was it advertised? What's so distinguishable?

Williams probably cut a deal with PlastiKote. “We’ll advertise your product if you sell it cheaper to us.” Something like that.

#27 8 years ago

While there seem to be different uses of the term Plastikote, here is a trademark filing for this graphic logo from 1946.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

Registration Number: 0565437
    Word Mark: PLASTI-KOTE
    Status Date: 2003-07-26
    Filing Date: 1946-10-23
    Registration Number: 0565437
    Registration Date: 1952-10-21
    First Use Anywhere Date: 1941-02-01
    First Use In Commerce Date: 1941-02-01
    Goods and Services: READY MIXED PAINTS, PAINT ENAMELS AND VARNISHES FOR APPLICATION TO INTERIOR WALLS AND CEILINGS, WALLPAPER AND EXTERIOR WALLS OF WOOD, STUCCO, BRICK OR SHINGLE

more info:
    https://trademarks.justia.com/715/11/plasti-kote-71511352.html

#28 8 years ago

Allegedly from a 1947 ad:

12905179_1765845666985338_1320663340_n_(resized).jpg12905179_1765845666985338_1320663340_n_(resized).jpg

source:
    http://instagify.com/media/1226148968274215806_2130823215

#29 8 years ago

Allegedly a 1950's can:

1_5384222264016018fbcff002bc06b9e9_(resized).jpg1_5384222264016018fbcff002bc06b9e9_(resized).jpg

#30 8 years ago

So it's an enamel clear?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

So it's an enamel clear?

I'll guess it's a silver "aluminum" color

#32 8 years ago

So here is how tough Plastikote is. I spent countless hours removing a second topcoat somebody had added in the past using magic eraser and alcohol on this Skill Pool. And I rubbed hard. Not once did I see any paint on the eraser. This original topcoat, except at a few wear spots is still very hard and shiny now that it's all polished up. Where it is worn you can see the Plastikote is pretty thick. And this game had been rode real hard.

DSCN4393_(resized).JPGDSCN4393_(resized).JPG

How hard? Well you get the picture....

original_(resized).jpgoriginal_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago

I have often wondered why so many EM's seem to have excellent playfields even when they are much older than the 80's machines. Something changed along the way for sure.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Riptor:

I have often wondered why so many EM's seem to have excellent playfields even when they are much older than the 80's machines. Something changed along the way for sure.

No doubt. I have a Cyclone with an NOS playfield in it and I can tell right off the bat that Skill Pool above has a thicker, harder topcoat on it. Remember though in the 80s quite a few games came with a mylar sheet probably to compensate for that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/informational-hunt-for-what-plastikoted-pfs-were-coated-with and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.