9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jonesjb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture 013.jpg

#1 9 years ago

The recent passing of Al Feldstein, the longtime editor of MAD Magazine, got me to dig out my old collection of MAD magazines and books. Although much of the humor is badly dated, the influence of MAD's artists and writers on future artists and designers--including many artists who created the artwork for classic pinball games--is undeniable.

If you look particularly at monster/horror themed games like Monster Bash. Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Tales from the Crypt, you see it right away. The level of artistic detail, the expert use of lines, shading and color, the "crowding" of various elements into areas in ways that the jokes can't even be read, the objectification of women, the mixture of gothic and (for the time) contemporary humor really show the influences of MAD, particularly the first "comic book" issues that parodied various movie genres. Look at these pins and you get a sense that the artists and designers were having a total blast in creating this artwork and wanted to throw in as many things as they could, knowing full well that many players wouldn't even notice all of them. With the move to licensed properties since the demise of Bally/Williams, this kind of MAD-influenced high-quality art and design have really been lost.

#2 9 years ago

Sad to see him go. I put in a call and was going to do a phone interview. I also had an artist recreate one of my favorite EC comic covers!

Picture 013.jpgPicture 013.jpg
    4 years later
    #3 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Sad to see him go. I put in a call and was going to do a phone interview. I also had an artist recreate one of my favorite EC comic covers!

[quoted image]

Beautiful recreation. I’d love to see an EC Comics themed pinball machine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/influence-of-al-feldstein-on-pinball-design and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.