Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

448C511F-26EA-4026-A1DA-BA039A21AE5A (resized).jpeg
twist (resized).png
9A5AA477-A515-4C77-8DD3-DF603DC253D7 (resized).jpeg
109DD8F0-06CB-4A44-95FB-BD47A4482272 (resized).jpeg
29DD28BE-1610-4390-AA73-998F17BF22A8 (resized).jpeg
939319E5-5538-4760-A933-23D13E8C30A1 (resized).jpeg
b7e94844-da65-4ddd-8f38-8f1367897276_1.e245c243c72cc21e5a16b49d613e62dd (resized).jpeg
77D54E69-173A-49F1-8B61-E9C57B117FE9 (resized).jpeg
A8E601FB-23B8-41E0-9878-825F347F02CF (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

We have a sea eagle 370 inflatable kayak right now. It’s a 12.5’ 3 person kayak. We Have done the Weeki Wachee in Florida, the Clinton river here where I live, many lakes around here including Houghton Lake just last weekend and even Lake Michigan. It was a great 3 person kayak when I had one daughter, it fit pretty good with two kids when one was a baby, but now that they are 4 and 8 we are getting a little big for it.
Looking at getting a Saturn 16’ Kaboat. It’s a mix between a kayak and a boat, you can paddle it in lakes and rivers rowing style or with a kayak paddle or you can mount an electric motor or even up to a 15hp gas motor on it.
We would like to do some kayaking up at Pictured Rocks, we have been hiking there but not kayaking yet.
I really enjoy being able to take a kayak and launch from just about anywhere and not worry about storing it. My sea eagle takes about 10 minutes from folded up in a bag to ready to paddle and take down time is 5 minutes or less. I just inflate it at home within a day or two of going out and clean it real good before I pack it away. Looks like the Saturn should be similar, maybe an extra 5 minutes set up time.
Anyone else own an inflatable kayak?
Any other recommendations for a 4 person inflatable besides the Saturn?

#2 2 years ago

I always wanted an IK. Is the sea eagle durable enough for small rapids?

#3 2 years ago

Just got into this. Kayaked on Lake Washington and a creek and a lake by my home in Texas.
Intex Explorer K2
Currently $175 on Amazon.

#4 2 years ago

Thank you for bringing this up - looking for ideas as well - love how far inflatable Stand up paddle boards (SUPs) that can serve as kayaks (seat attachment) have come as well.
Following w/interest .

#5 2 years ago

We just got a canoe last month It's kinda like a kayak

A8E601FB-23B8-41E0-9878-825F347F02CF (resized).jpegA8E601FB-23B8-41E0-9878-825F347F02CF (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I always wanted an IK. Is the sea eagle durable enough for small rapids?

It says it can handle class 3 rapids. I have seen plenty of pictures and videos of people using it in rapids but never tried it myself.
I have been on Lake Michigan in 3 foot waves by myself on it and it handled well, I stayed close to shore and would not take my family out in that.
Because of the way it sits with the big round sides and the way you sit higher it does handle closer to a canoe than a sit in kayak. I’ve never really used the sit on top kayaks so maybe it’s similar to those. It is very stable though, no problems getting in or out of it even in the water, I’ve never tipped it before and I’ve tipped a canoe more than once. Houghton lake I believe is he largest inland lake in Michigan but it’s also extremely shallow, you can be in the middle of it and get out and walk around. We were in and out of it all day so the girls could swim.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Thank you for bringing this up - looking for ideas as well - love how far inflatable Stand up paddle boards (SUPs) that can serve as kayaks (seat attachment) have come as well.
Following w/interest .

My friend has an inflatable SUP and we went out on Houghton Lake together once with me in my kayak and we would switch back and forth. It was a lot of fun! He was looking at getting a seat for it at the time, not sure if he ever did.
When we were in Florida I saw a lot of people that had them.
The most impressive sight was a mom Stand up paddle boarding UP Stream with her two kids playing on the board as she paddled!

#8 2 years ago

My girls practicing their paddling while I walked behind them in the shallow part

77D54E69-173A-49F1-8B61-E9C57B117FE9 (resized).jpeg77D54E69-173A-49F1-8B61-E9C57B117FE9 (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Just got into this. Kayaked on Lake Washington and a creek and a lake by my home in Texas.
Intex Explorer K2
Currently $175 on Amazon.

Very cool! We have had ours for I think 6 years now and have gotten our money out of it for sure. In Texas you can probably use it year round. Have fun!

4 weeks later
#10 2 years ago

Sold my kayak and bought the Saturn 16 foot Kaboat and a 55lb thrust electric kayak motor. Motor will be here tomorrow but the Kaboat was on back order due to congested ports on the west coast so is supposed to ship later this week. Hoping to be on the water in 2 weeks or less before our Michigan weather gets cold. Will be trying it out on a lake first and then a local river. The plan for the river will be that I won’t have to park two cars, a pickup point and a drop off point. We will paddle down the river and then use the motor or motor and paddling to go back upstream to the car again. There isn’t a lot of current so should work pretty good. Will post pictures and my thoughts on it after I get it and when I get a chance to test it out.

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

Just bought my first kayak. Ended up going with a hard sit-on-top one. It's less versatile than an IK, but the upside is no hassle with set up and break down. Lifetime Angler 10 footer. Ready for fishing. Great reviews. Only $350. b7e94844-da65-4ddd-8f38-8f1367897276_1.e245c243c72cc21e5a16b49d613e62dd (resized).jpegb7e94844-da65-4ddd-8f38-8f1367897276_1.e245c243c72cc21e5a16b49d613e62dd (resized).jpeg

#12 2 years ago

The Saturn Kaboat is here! Way bigger and heavy duty than I thought from the pictures. Capacity is actually 4+1 according to the spec plate on the transom, which is more than was advertised online so that’s a bonus. All 4 of us fit with room to spare. Needs a quality electric pump for sure, took me 25 minutes to set up on my own with the included hand pump, I could probably chop 5 minutes off that with experience, but on a hot day that’s a lot of work before getting started. Going to get it registered tomorrow and unfortunately today was our last nice day of weather. Hopefully will get to take it out Thursday but swimming weather has passed us by.
The last picture has the boat and air floor on top in the included bag, and the tote underneath has 5 life jackets, 4 aluminum bench seats, 4 oars, dry bag, dry box, bungee cords, group 29 battery (58lbs!) and battery charger. I can easily wheel all of that around myself with the boat on top. Total weight of everything is about 225lbs. Everything I need to be out on the water except the motor which would not fit. Looking at a larger wheeled tote from Lowe’s that will fit the motor as well.

29DD28BE-1610-4390-AA73-998F17BF22A8 (resized).jpeg29DD28BE-1610-4390-AA73-998F17BF22A8 (resized).jpeg939319E5-5538-4760-A933-23D13E8C30A1 (resized).jpeg939319E5-5538-4760-A933-23D13E8C30A1 (resized).jpeg109DD8F0-06CB-4A44-95FB-BD47A4482272 (resized).jpeg109DD8F0-06CB-4A44-95FB-BD47A4482272 (resized).jpeg
#13 2 years ago

I've been an avid kayaker since I was a kid in Florida and so was my Dad. He designed
and built his own from scratch just for fun. Never liked the plastic or inflatable types
because they were hard or impossible to repair. Long term, fiberglass is the way to go
IMO. Yes, they are heavier and can be more expensive but worth it.
Currently have a single (8') and double (14') which we now use on lakes occasionally.
These are the old types where you sit inside.

#14 2 years ago

Very happy with the Kaboat. Took it out on Houghton Lake, did about 6 miles and still had over half a charge left on the battery. It’s very stable, standing is no problem, kids could switch seats back and forth through the boat with no rocking or danger of tipping. Motor worked well, moved around 5 miles and hour with a full load. Will probably upgrade to a gas outboard in a year or so. Launching from a beach was great, we had 6 kids and 5 adults so we took turns going out and everyone who wasn’t in the boat wasn’t just waiting at a boat launch, kids played at the beach and the playground in between turns. Going to get some transom wheels so I can fully load the boat and wheel it in whenever we are by myself. I would highly recommend a Saturn Inflatable boat to anyone that wants to get out on the water but doesn’t want to have to store or trailer something.
Looking forward to a river trip soon and taking it to Florida this winter.
I did end up getting a battery powered air pump and it took setup time down to less than 10 minutes.

1 week later
#15 2 years ago

Took the Kaboat out on Lake St Clair last week and down the Clinton River this week. It handles very well on the choppier water in Lake St Clair and did equally well navigating the Clinton river. On the river went up stream and then back down, so great not having to park a separate car at the exit! Ended up getting a kayak cart for a great price used, that was a mistake. It was super easy for getting the boat into the water but fairly useless for getting it out unless you want to stand in waist deep water in the fast flowing river. Going to sell that and get the transom wheels I initially planned on getting.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Took the Kaboat out on Lake St Clair last week and down the Clinton River this week. It handles very well on the choppier water in Lake St Clair and did equally well navigating the Clinton river. On the river went up stream and then back down, so great not having to park a separate car at the exit! Ended up getting a kayak cart for a great price used, that was a mistake. It was super easy for getting the boat into the water but fairly useless for getting it out unless you want to stand in waist deep water in the fast flowing river. Going to sell that and get the transom wheels I initially planned on getting.

9A5AA477-A515-4C77-8DD3-DF603DC253D7 (resized).jpeg9A5AA477-A515-4C77-8DD3-DF603DC253D7 (resized).jpeg
#17 2 years ago

I've owned a number of kayaks over the years. One of the best is an Innova brand inflatable. It really works great for a lot of things. Often while camping here in Florida, we run our kayaks along the Santa Fe river and go in and out of major spring runs along the river. The inflatable is great for this because it is easy to get in and out of to snorkel without having to go to shore. You can pop out of the water and climb in without flipping the kayak. It is also super light so you can pull it around with a leash as you are below the water checking out the crystal clear springs. The other cool thing is the removable skeg/fin. It works great when you are going upstream. Without a rudder or skeg, the kayak will always try to turn around in the current when paddling up stream. With the skeg it tracks straight up river effortlessly. Being inflatable it holds a LOT of weight too. Finally being able to deflate it and put it in the back of a small car and store in a closet is awesome.

They don't sell the model I have any more, but this one is the closest:

twist (resized).pngtwist (resized).png
#18 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've owned a number of kayaks over the years. One of the best is an Innova brand inflatable. It really works great for a lot of things. Often while camping here in Florida, we run our kayaks along the Santa Fe river and go in and out of major spring runs along the river. The inflatable is great for this because it is easy to get in and out of to snorkel without having to go to shore. You can pop out of the water and climb in without flipping the kayak. It is also super light so you can pull it around with a leash as you are below the water checking out the crystal clear springs. The other cool thing is the removable skeg/fin. It works great when you are going upstream. Without a rudder or skeg, the kayak will always try to turn around in the current when paddling up stream. With the skeg it tracks straight up river effortlessly. Being inflatable it holds a LOT of weight too. Finally being able to deflate it and put it in the back of a small car and store in a closet is awesome.
They don't sell the model I have any more, but this one is the closest:[quoted image]

We are looking forward to trying out some snorkeling as the girls get a little older and the ability to get in and out of this boat so easy was a big plus. Probably the biggest deciding factor for us is we want to boat in Florida as well as Michigan and I don’t want to drive a boat on a trailer all the way to Florida in the middle of the winter when we go.
Any fun places you would recommend for us in Florida? We kayaked the Weeki Wacchi and had a lot of fun, but I need some fun places where I can use the motor as well as this boat is too big to only paddle unless I have other adults that want to help in the boat (I don’t)

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Any fun places you would recommend for us in Florida? We kayaked the Weeki Wacchi and had a lot of fun, but I need some fun places where I can use the motor as well as this boat is too big to only paddle unless I have other adults that want to help in the boat (I don’t)

Right near Weeki Wachi there is Chassahowitzka River and also Homasassa Springs. Those offer all kinds of snorkeling, springs, manatees etc. The rivers run all the way to the ocean, so are great if you have a motor. Near Gainesville is one of my all time favorites Ginnie Springs. That is along the Santa Fe river, which is also a perfect place for your motor boat. The Santa Fe has pretty good flow, so head upstream first in case you start to run out of battery at least you can make it back with the current. There are springs everywhere along the river to explore.

6 months later
#20 2 years ago

Almost time to get back in the water! Looking for a gas outboard right now to increase our range on a lake and our ability to go upstream in a river. Next week is supposed to be 76 and sunny. Going to check out Stoney Creek Metro Park this week to see where we would launch from and if I need a boat permit since I don’t plan on using the boat launch area.
Memorial weekend I’ll be taking my girls and my parents out, my dad will be teaching the girls to fish, should be a great family time.

2 months later
#21 1 year ago

So I guess technically we aren’t inflatable kayaking anymore, but we have been out on the water more than ever this year! I got a 9.9 evinrude that needed some work, fixed it up and it’s running great getting us all over the place. Added a Bimini top, rod holders and anchors and I’ve been fishing on it quite a bit. We have been on Lake St Clair many times launching from several spots, as well as a few other smaller or medium size lakes like Cass lake, Stony Creek and Ross Lake. We have probably used this Saturn boat more this year than I used our sea eagle kayak for the 5 or so years we had it. Hoping to get out on Houghton Lake before summer is over and a little more fishing on Lake St Clair.

448C511F-26EA-4026-A1DA-BA039A21AE5A (resized).jpeg448C511F-26EA-4026-A1DA-BA039A21AE5A (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.