9D68D01A-D99E-4BB1-AAD2-79D6EBD5B980 (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
B4F64CB5-0063-4FA4-BD60-355CB6AD1947 (resized).jpeg
ROTLA (resized).jpg
IMG_6884 (resized).JPG
IMG_6943 (resized).JPG
20180310_113554 (resized).jpg
Smoking on the holodeck.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Third flipper with ramps, cannons that actually do something, probably the best layout in all of pinball, great call-outs, did I mention the bad ass cannons? IJ is a great game, but STTNG is the winner for me.

I have only played STTNG on pinball arcade (which I understand to be not very accurate in terms of simulating STTNG), and it is really fun, so many shots, no frustrating unfair drains like Indy

#31 6 years ago

I’ve got to seek out a STTNG now...

Anybody with an Indy have ridiculous issues with SDTM drains from that lane that goes to the single drop target? That gets so frustrating I have to stop playing for a while. I know I can nudge but it hardly ever seems to work

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Thought I remembered reading a similar thread before:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-or-ij#post-3687012
These comparisons remind me of the Miller Lite Commercials where one side thought "Great Taste" was better and the other claimed "Less Filling" was where it was at.
In the end we all agree that we love beer. . . er, I mean pinball.

Kind of funny it’s always between the 2..

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You might have been right before IJ4 came out.

There IS no IJ4.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Whoever is saying Indy is a more loved theme is simply wrong. Star Trek may have been more niche at a time but any franchise that has lasted over 50 years with half a dozen different series and over a baker's dozen movies in total plus conventions, comics, etc. is a pop culture landmark. It is undeniably more important culturally than Indiana Jones.

This is all definitely true. But the game is not “Star Trek”. It is STTNG, a show which has not aged as well as the idea of the Star Trek universe as a whole. (And I’m saying this being a big fan of TNG). Indy started out in the past and continues to have appeal but not the “cheese” factor of TNG

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I voted Indy but forgot about the easter egg games of TNG where you can play poker or breakout on the dmd. Does Indy have any hidden games?

Not a full game like breakout, but it has 3 distinct video modes, all of which are fun and all of which are reasonably tough, at least for a while

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I owned Indy briefly and just didn’t like it.........

Took me a good 6 months, lots of tweaking (still drains SDTM off the single drop target lane, and jumps the left wire form a lot) and almost selling it a few times to “get” it

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

interesting that reimports bring less. Mine is domestic and has no cabinet fade, with full brass hardware. I wouldn't sell it unless I was forced to, maybe 8k in todays market would be value sounds like.
I personally have no issue with reimports, I'm more concerned with condition of the machine. I've seen some domestic games that were rough, and I have a GNR that was reimported from Germany that is in incredible shape. Maybe it's the idea of them traveling across the ocean.

Being an import has no measurable bearing on the sales price of a game. Many imports are beat to hell, which DOES.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

ahhhhhhh i wasn't gonna litter the board with yet another comment from me geeking out over TNG, but what the hell. i (duh) disagree with this.
yeah, there are some clunky episodes, especially in the first two seasons, but i think the top half of TNG episodes stand up with the best of TV even today, and its very top episodes are still right at the apex of the format. i don't know if there has ever been a better 45 minutes of TV than "The Inner Light", or a better series finale than "...All Good Things". Most of seasons 3 through 6 are top notch. The cast has excellent chemistry, and the writers are still flush with ideas.
My daughter asks me to watch TNG with her at least once a week, she really enjoys it. My son is only 7, but he's starting to get into it, too.
I do pick episodes i know don't suck, though. They haven't been exposed to the pain that is "Angel One" (Riker's wang conquers Planet Feminazi), "Sub Rosa" (Dr. Crusher becomes addicted to boning her dead grandmother's lover, who is, i am not making this up, a ghost who lives in a candle), "Justice" (Wesley is sentenced to death for accidentally stepping on some flowers), or Shades of Gray (a comatose Riker dreams about lame clips from prior episodes).
I've tried to show her the original series too, because I like it, but she rejected it thoroughly. Re-watching it, i find a lot of the ideas are really outdated, and believe it or not the moralizing on TOS can be even more hamfisted than TNG. remember this goofball? :

i do like the original series. and i can't wait to show my kids DS9 when they're a little older. But I think the good TNG episodes have aged remarkably well!
ok, sorry for the interuption. i'm done.

LOL that is totally not fair to cherry pick episodes! Some of TNG’s writing has never been surpassed - the Locutus episodes; I, Borg, almost any episode dealing with Worf’s torn allegiances between the Federation and Q’onoS, “...all good things” and I think every Ronald D. episode.

But you also have season 1, any Dr. Pulaski episode and the weird random stinkers in the later seasons. I’m not saying TNG is Babylon 5 (one of My all time faves and the most obvious example ever of “doesn’t age well”), just that I don’t think it has the lasting/universal appeal (or cool factor) of Indy as a theme

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

why the heck not? as you acknowledge, the top half of TNG is fantastic television by any standard. it doesn't deserve to be written off when it actually ages quite well. granted, it benefits from a curated tour.

We’re comparing different things I think - the “theme” is taking the show as a whole, whilst watching “the best of the best” - a curated journey - is best for someone wanting to dig in (or showing to the kid, which I applaud). I’m strictly thinking Indy stands better the test of time when applied to Pinball themes. TNG has 7/8 of a perfect run, while Indy has 3 hits in a row! (There is no 4th movie )

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I can't hold my tongue anymore. I do like IJ but the cultural phenomenon that is Star Trek is undeniable. You said it yourself...no cherry picking. Even isolating ST to TNG your math speak for itself. 88% beats 75%...
As for the games, I think the same applies.

You found me out!!

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Indy for me, for theme especially by a WIDE margin. I couldn’t care less about the Star Trek franchise, probably because when I saw Wrath of Khan as a kid, I thought it was boring as hell. ( Where is the action? They’re just talking and putting bugs in peoples helmets? )
There’s nothing wrong with STTNG gameplay. I men, it was such a good layout, Ritchie copied his own design (very original).
My thoughts on theme aside, I do know that if it was based on the original series and not TNG, this pin would be rated higher.

What game reused the STTNG layout?

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Granny and the Gators

What? Seriously?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

14,000 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1,419.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indy-vs-sttng?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.