New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 214267)

INDY vs STTNG

By PinsideTroll

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 152 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Frippertron
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“which one stays longer..... ij or sttng”

• IJ harrison ford is the man 109 votes
    58%
  • STTNG patrick stewart rules 78 votes
    42%

(187 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

94EC30FC-DDE9-4900-8274-47C715FA3467 (resized).jpeg
9D68D01A-D99E-4BB1-AAD2-79D6EBD5B980 (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
B4F64CB5-0063-4FA4-BD60-355CB6AD1947 (resized).jpeg
ROTLA (resized).jpg
IMG_6884 (resized).JPG
IMG_6943 (resized).JPG
20180310_113554 (resized).jpg
Smoking on the holodeck.jpg

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

pick one. which one would you hang on to the longest? why? both are super fun widebodies, but if you could keep only one to make space for a new game or whatever reason, pick!

#2 2 years ago

I lik Indiana Jons, he was name after dog and he sloved mistries on the world

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

pick one. which one would you hang on to the longest? why? both are super fun widebodies, but if you could keep only one to make space for a new game or whatever reason, pick!

Dead simple. Indy.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

Definitely Indy.

#5 2 years ago
#6 2 years ago

Indy

#7 2 years ago

Had both, but kept ST. Better flow IMO

#8 2 years ago

IJ. Better theme, dots and overall gameplay.

#9 2 years ago

Indy ...............

I had a STTNG for a while - just found it a big, boring, depressing clunker to play

#10 2 years ago

I’ve owned both. Traded Star Trek, Indy is still here. I really wanted to like STTNG, but it just didn’t click with me. I was a big fan of the show in the early 90s. I traded it to my local pinball spot, so I go play it every few weeks.

#11 2 years ago

I have them next to each other and although I appreciate the open playfield of the STTNG for me if you pick Indy you have chosen wisely.

#12 2 years ago

Indiana Jones + Pinsound = Amazing Pinball Experience.

#13 2 years ago

STTNG blows Indy out of the water!

Super-Pin is Steve Ritchie's masterpiece

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Blows it out of the water?

You must be drinking something in the water to come up with that conclusion!!

While STTNG is a good game and maybe even better than IJ to some I have a hard time believing most anything would blow IJ out of the water. . .

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Blows it out of the water?

Third flipper with ramps, cannons that actually do something, probably the best layout in all of pinball, great call-outs, did I mention the bad ass cannons? IJ is a great game, but STTNG is the winner for me.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Third flipper with ramps, cannons that actually do something, probably the best layout in all of pinball, great call-outs, did I mention the bad ass cannons? IJ is a great game, but STTNG is the winner for me.

I have only played STTNG on pinball arcade (which I understand to be not very accurate in terms of simulating STTNG), and it is really fun, so many shots, no frustrating unfair drains like Indy

#18 2 years ago

I like them both but I think IJ is better

#19 2 years ago

I own both and I am a huge Star Trek fan, but IJ is the better game.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Super-Pin is Steve Ritchie's masterpiece

You're spending too much time on the holodeck.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

You're spending too much time on the holodeck.

Yes, yes I am

Smoking on the holodeck.jpg

#22 2 years ago

Indy by a million miles. I've owned STTNG twice and both times it was sold for way way more than what I had into it. STTNG is the more popular theme, but Indy is an amazing game, and STTNG is a bunch of repetitive BS.

#23 2 years ago

Come on now. There's a reason why STTNG is ranked #3 on ipdb. I own STTNG and absolutely love it. There are a lot of different goals to achieve. Cranking up the warp factor to 9 is an adrenaline rush. And then trying to get it up to 9.9 is even more intense. The Pickard maneuver is also a very satisfying. Locking balls in the Borg ship is a blast, with it shooting balls straight down to you during multi ball. Lots of different modes. Canons. Great callouts by the original actors. Only downside is the awful outlanes.

I haven't played IJ a lot so i can't directly compare, but STTNG is getting an unfairly bad rap here.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

STTNG is the more popular theme,

I disagree, I think Indiana Jones is a far more popular theme, and more people can relate to it, thus more people prefer IJ.

#25 2 years ago

I prefer sci-fi over adventure.
So it's STTNG for me.
That said Indy is a great game in its own right.

#26 2 years ago

I've owned both. Sttng for much longer. Indiana Jones I didn't understand the hype over it. I found it boring and dull and quite annoying the play really. Sttng I found there was a lot to do, the Cannons were amazing, it helps that I'm a huge fan of that show, but all I know I found sttng a much much better game.

#27 2 years ago

Both very strong games. Both have great theme/IP implementations, sound packages, rules, and layouts.

Having owned both for long periods of time, I'd give the Edge to IJ. However with STTNG still hovering around $4K and STTNG getting up into $6-9K territory these days STTNG is a far better value.

IJ: It's more accessible game play wise -it's easier, doesn't have the maddening outlanes (and players love the right outlane save), basically easier to grasp with a simple multiball and basic mode-based rule set. Theme is better/more popular. Tons of modes and they are all fun to play, most are distinctive. Layout more friendly to casual players.

STTNG is a fun game but can be frustratingly difficult as its a total drain monster. Great rules.

Both have some frustrating maintenance issues. INfamous 1993 ball troughs. STTNG a mess of optos and cannons, and Indiana Jones' POA; all of these things like to break and cause issues like it's their job. Indiana Jones loses points for horrible mode hole design. Why didn't they put a Jackbot style eye mech in there?

#28 2 years ago

I own both... I'd give a very slight edge to IJ.

#29 2 years ago

Both games are great. Maybe Indiana Jones is more the masses and STTNG mainly for Trek fans.

#30 2 years ago

Own both, traded Indiana last year and just got another one. Both are great. Indiana is easier to play with longer ball times being biggest difference for me. Sttng outlanes are horrific. Indiana is rising in price while sttng is still reasonable at this point.

#31 2 years ago

I’ve got to seek out a STTNG now...

Anybody with an Indy have ridiculous issues with SDTM drains from that lane that goes to the single drop target? That gets so frustrating I have to stop playing for a while. I know I can nudge but it hardly ever seems to work

#32 2 years ago

I could never get the Indy hype either. Maybe it is because every one I have ever played seemed to have issues that really affected gameplay. Modes seem kind of fun but nothing really stands out to me I do like the lock shot behind the drop targets but everything else just seems standard two ramps/orbit. The POA thing just seems like a waste of space. Don't care for it at all. It's still a fun game but not worth the big bucks at all. STTNG can be had much cheaper (like half the cost) and has a lot more features plus a third flipper. Left orbit warp shot combo ftw. I'm not really a STTNG fan but do like sci-fi themes. I've played some nice ones before and they are super fun when working right. I would definitely go STTNG and save money over IJ. If bigger budget and really want the best widebody, I would go TZ over IJ all day, every day.

#33 2 years ago

I've owned them both.

You must choose, but choose wisely

#34 2 years ago

I'm a Trekkie so for me plus 1 on theme there. STTNG might be the best theme integration of any pin, ever! All the actors on the show did the voice overs. TNG also edges out Indy because of the Picard maneuver. The greatest and most satisfying combo in pinball history. TNG really has it all, unless you despise the theme of course. This game was way ahead of its time.

#35 2 years ago

I own both. I believe IJ is the better of the two, but both are great.

20180310_113554 (resized).jpg

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I'm a Trekkie so for me plus 1 on theme there. STTNG might be the best theme integration of any pin, ever! All the actors on the show did the voice overs. TNG also edges out Indy because of the Picard maneuver. The greatest and most satisfying combo in pinball history. TNG really has it all, unless you despise the theme of course. This game was way ahead of its time.

The combo to the Borg ship lock really is one of the most satisfying shots in pinball, especially during MB for the Super Jackpot!

Edit: The shot to the Borg lock is also one that a lot of players who don't get to play the game often rarely hit. If I have a party with non-pinheads at the house and when I took the game to the Louisville show, it ends up with a credit dot because that shot has not been hit.

#37 2 years ago

Both are awesome games. But Indy takes the win for me. The music, sounds, callouts (which are amazing) and the theme is just awesome. Love the warm colors.

#38 2 years ago

I think ST-TNG edges out Indy in features and is a better value for your dollar. I like the Indy theme better, the music from the movie gets you pumped up and excited to play it, the tighter playfield works with the game layout, more risk/reward with shot locations, as in, you miss a shot, it's back in your face faster.

Indy has Multi-ball, Modes, drop w/captive ball shot, Path of Adventure. ST-TNG you still have Multi-ball, Picaard/Warps, Modes, holodeck, cannons just to launch ball (but more just a toy). For ST-TNG, out of those options, it seems to have more balance and multiple ways out, I like games like that. 3 ramps (ST-TNG) vs 2 ramps Indy, not that it matters that much. Skill shot on ST-TNG lets you pick options as well, lane plunge for Indy. Both have weapons for triggers.

When I play both games on route, if something on a ST-TNG goes down, it's more enjoyable than if something on Indy isn't working.

Both are great games, if I had 5500-6k and didn't care, I'd probably pick Indy, if I wanted to spend 4500-5k, I'd pick-up a ST-TNG. Once I start getting near 5k, I start thinking new Stern (Pro-version) game.

#39 2 years ago

I own both as well...both were on my "most wanted" list when I got back into the hobby in 2001. Neither have disappointed. I would give a very slight edge to IJ...but ask me tomorrow and I might give the slight edge to STTNG. Both are great.

#40 2 years ago

Draw

#41 2 years ago

Thought I remembered reading a similar thread before:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-or-ij#post-3687012

These comparisons remind me of the Miller Lite Commercials where one side thought "Great Taste" was better and the other claimed "Less Filling" was where it was at.

In the end we all agree that we love beer. . . er, I mean pinball.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Thought I remembered reading a similar thread before:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-or-ij#post-3687012
These comparisons remind me of the Miller Lite Commercials where one side thought "Great Taste" was better and the other claimed "Less Filling" was where it was at.
In the end we all agree that we love beer. . . er, I mean pinball.

Kind of funny it’s always between the 2..

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I disagree, I think Indiana Jones is a far more popular theme, and more people can relate to it, thus more people prefer IJ.

You might have been right before IJ4 came out.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There IS no IJ4.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Which is why nobody wants Stern's IJ and everybody wants Williams.'

Considering the value of the two games it's pretty odd to say Next Gen is a more popular theme. It's not an accident that IJ is getting close to the $10K barrier.

#46 2 years ago

I own neither nor have I played either.

Voted anyway.

#47 2 years ago

Whoever is saying Indy is a more loved theme is simply wrong. Star Trek may have been more niche at a time but any franchise that has lasted over 50 years with half a dozen different series and over a baker's dozen movies in total plus conventions, comics, etc. is a pop culture landmark. It is undeniably more important culturally than Indiana Jones.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

I own neither nor have I played either.
Voted anyway.

Thanks verry helpfull

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Whoever is saying Indy is a more loved theme is simply wrong. Star Trek may have been more niche at a time but any franchise that has lasted over 50 years with half a dozen different series and over a baker's dozen movies in total plus conventions, comics, etc. is a pop culture landmark. It is undeniably more important culturally than Indiana Jones.

That's all true. But how do you explain the huge disparity in price? Even in this thread it's clear most people think the games are fairly equal gameplay wise, and both sold about the same amount of games - IJ selling more actually, but both over the 10,000 mark.

I think for the general pinball demographic, IJ is a far more-loved theme. It's not about cultural importance or what has made more of a dent in pop culture, it's about what the general public just "likes" more has more affection for. I think that's Indiana Jones.

As popular as Star Trek is, it still is a niche. IJ appeals to more people across a broader demographic. I know I went to see Last Crusade with my dad, my grandpa, and my sisters - if it were Star Trek V which was playing at the same time, it would have just been me.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Thanks verry helpfull

I try.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.50
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 25.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinfarmer Mods
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Prosper, TX
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 254.99
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 16.00
$ 11.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 1,248.00
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willowbrook, IL
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside