Topic Stats

• 546 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 541 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5434FD7E-B6F4-4EEF-9C95-848F740532B0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3733 (resized).JPG
IMG_3731 (resized).JPG
IMG_3730 (resized).JPG
IMG_3729 (resized).JPG
IMG_3725 (resized).JPG
IMG_3715 (resized).JPG
IMG_3714 (resized).JPG
IMG_3721 (resized).JPG
F40BFE84-2E45-476E-BDD9-A1FE152C1360 (resized).jpeg
EFBB8AF1-71AE-4859-9EC7-7237EF12C72C (resized).jpeg
B434E499-5BD0-48E5-ADEE-5C7BA4B5E77A (resized).jpeg
02E371A4-3CA4-4381-9AB2-0425415A4EAF (resized).jpeg
C7042CC9-1F4B-4B60-9134-519E998485E9 (resized).jpeg
6D55721C-E3BB-4FC8-974B-B397E37CBCA0 (resized).jpeg
F421D96B-91AD-45FF-AA23-2AA637755363 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aaronzoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#235 69 days ago

Daaaaamn...
And here I thought I went hardcore when I restored my Indy machine. I thought I brought it as close to "factory new" as I could, but the depth of your restoration puts mine to absolute shame. And that mirrored backglass...I want that. How come I can't find that?

Well done! Everything looks just fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished result.

#267 67 days ago

Years ago, I bought a full LED replacement kit (no colours, warm white) for my IJ. Got them all in, powered 'er up...and I hated it. I immediately stripped them out and put in new incandescent bulbs, and the vendor was kind enough to let me return the LEDs.

There's something about the warm lamplight glow of real filaments that just make this machine, ya know? I've seen plenty of other pins where the LEDs look great, but to me the Indy theme calls for old school. In fact, I bought a string of caged incandescent lights to hang above my Indy machine because they reminded me of the queue lighting on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland.

That said, your comparison showing the 'A' target looks great, and if you're going LED at least you're doing it right.

1 week later
#306 57 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I will be using red standard rubber for the flippers though.

I know I'm a few days late, but the stock flipper rubbers for the Indy are black. Straight from the horse's...manual.
I always wondered why you see so many IJ with red flippers - not that it looks bad, not by a long shot. Somewhere along the way it was widely adopted by owners, but I myself am a big fan of the clean black rubber on white bats with the white rings all 'round.

And though I like keeping my IJ as stock as can be, I've only made simple reversible additions. For instance, I replaced the captured ball for the 'get the treasure' mode with a gold-plated ball. 'Cause it's treasure! Feel free to use that one.

#309 56 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I actually DO have a gold plated ball for my captive ball. I wasn't sure how the plating would hold up... so I've not committed. In reality, this game will get far less play in its remaining life than it ever has... so it probably won't be an issue.

I've had the gold ball in my game for over 10 years, and though it's a little scuffed from the years (or the mileage) it still looks great. No need to second guess that one.

I've got to save the gallery from your restoration. It's so in-depth, I bet it'll come in handy as a reference in case I ever have to strip mine down. Thanks for sharing so much detail.

1 week later
#335 45 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I need some new rule cards for this machine. I've some I got years ago from pinballdecals. They are nice but I don't care for photographic imagery on this pin. I need someone to put together a set that uses the same artwork style as the cabinet art or the same as the translite. I think I'd prefer the cabinet artwork inspired design over the translite art... just to keep it simple and so that it matches the apron. Anyway... just thinking about this because I feel like I'm over the hump of nuts that is this restoration.
Oh... and this is something I've ZERO aptitude for... never played with illustrator or anything like that.

Now, Illustrator and Photoshop are where I shine. And, like you, I've never cared for the cluttered or photographic rule cards out there - in fact, I use the standard white-on-black rule card and a simple price card (despite not even having coin mechs) for that classic, in-the-arcade look.

But since your pin is deserving of something nicer, maybe I'll throw my hat in the ring and put something clean together. Time permitting!

#337 44 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Oh man that would be so generous of you but I would compensate you for your time !!! For the rules card I sketched out one that was black with the red and light blue lining of the pillars on the artwork... also another with a light sunburst. For the pricing I re-used the wing that is on the front of the cabinet... put Freeplay in indy font on it with gradient suburst. Everything line drawn of course... but thats as far as I can go with it. I fired up inkscape but lost interest rather quickly.
Anyway... you get what I am after.

You mocked these up already? I'm trying to picture them based on your description, but if you have a visual reference I'd love to check them out. I took a few reference shots of the cabinet and even grabbed some of my spare apron decals and plastics to scan and use as colour reference.

The apron exclusively uses white, yellow, red, and black in the decals, and doesn't have any gradients. I'm thinking this is a good template to follow for consistency in that area. I think it'd be okay to use the pillar blue sparingly as an accent colour, and maybe have the yellow/red gradient in the Indy logo, but keeping it simple and clean is the way to go.

#339 44 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Something like this ... even simpler is acceptable ... I would like it to fit the artwork of the cab but you are right with matching it to the apron art.
[quoted image]

Fantastic. I will absolutely use this as the template, though I may make some adjustments for spacing and whatnot.

#345 43 days ago

Ah, there's nothing quite like clean vector lines and classic halftone gradients!

I used your sketches as the layout, but I swapped the content because I thought it worked a bit better that way - especially having the rules framed by the black pillars. Though I didn't stick to the simple red/yellow scheme of the apron decals, I didn't use any colours that weren't on the cabinet itself. I re-created all the artwork as vectors, and let me tell you it was quite a task to remove the Indy logo from in front of the wings, only to cover up all my hard work with more text. So I have a clean vector version of those wings, I guess, should I ever need them!

One thing I've always loved about the artwork on pins is that halftone silkscreening, which I've mostly replicated here. Though I kept a subtle gradient in the "Indiana Jones" and "Free Play" text to make it pop, everything else is pure halftone dots comprised of the same yellow, blue and red shades.

I'm just posting a low res JPG here for now, mostly because I don't want people trying to grab and print out a low quality preview version. When you're happy and I'm happy, I'll post up large, clean, printable versions for everyone to enjoy.

Williams_Indiana_Jones_apron_CUSTOM_03 (resized).jpgWingsVector (resized).jpg
#348 43 days ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Wow! Great work. For free? You could have sold 10k of these.

Let's just say it's my way of giving back to the community. In the early days of owning my IJ, I got a lot of help from community members, most notably Garrett Lee, who literally wrote the book on shopping this pin and saved me countless times when I was in over my head.

Anyway, somebody might have had a problem if I sold 10k pieces of artwork that I don't own the licensing rights to.

#352 42 days ago

Okay, here are the final, printable rule cards. PLEASE ignore how bad the forum preview image looks - when you download the PDF it will be fine.
Since I'm not sure if posting a PDF to PinSide compresses or alters the file in any way, so I'm also providing a link to download them directly, either as a printable PDF or TIFF:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bnJIVIOlHa8XqT9nihFDO6zXh01zYy_7

I took a bunch of reference shots of my cabinet, and tried to match the colours as closely to the actual physical thing as possible, but without a Pantone chip guide or something, I can't guarantee that the colours will be perfect. What my eye sees vs. what my camera sensor sees vs. what my monitor displays will undoubtedly introduce some variation. That's just my disclaimer - it's still gotta be better than a 430x250 compressed JPEG of Harrison Ford, right?

WilliamsIndianaJones_CustomRuleCards_AB.pdf
#353 42 days ago

Here's a scaled down preview version, just so you can get a better look in the forums. It'll still look fuzzy from the automatic compression, but at least it'll look less like a steaming pile of garbage.
NOTE: Do NOT download and print this image! There is a printable PDF in the post right above this one! Use that one!

WilliamsIndianaJones_CustomRuleCards_preview (resized).jpg
#356 39 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Apron work today...
Years ago I got screened decals (when I got the artwork). I was a little worried about removing the print mask... however it all worked out great !
Also had the apron powder coated. There was som damage around the one screw that was missing the nut (the piece I had welded). There’s a little pitting around the screw hole but the coating camouflages it well enough.
Score/pricing cards were printed on my printer. Getting them professionally printed on card stock before this is finished. The color is not quite right... kinda pink
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good! But yeah, my printer has a hard time with orange/red tones too. Everything looks desaturated. Hoping that quality inks take care of that.

#372 35 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Oh what a difference a professional print job makes!
Colors on these cards are awesome!
I had them printed on 80 pound paper. It’s not as rigid as a postcard. Mainly because of the way they fit in the apron. If the card is too thick it doesn’t sit flat.[quoted image]

Turned out great! So happy to see the final look properly translated from screen to sheet.

Honestly, putting them out in the wild - I actually worry about people printing them from tiny JPEG previews on their $30 inkjet, with "scale to fit page" turned on, on standard document paper. Oh, the humanity!

#381 34 days ago
Quoted from Davi:

Double sunset?

Triple sunset!

3 weeks later
#509 13 days ago

Man, this is looking great! It's so close now.

Seeing your playfield all put together made me realise something I've never noticed before...

My left ramp is installed too far forward. Always has been. You can see that the "Lite Jackpot" mount is at least a good half-inch forward from the slot in the "Raise Jackpot" plastic next to it that it's supposed to fit into.

My guess is that someone far in the past stripped the original two holes at the front of the ramp that fasten the flap down, so they just moved the ramp forward. That's why the long spacer at the back that connects above the INDY lanes requires me to really pull it far forward to attach the ramp (at the cost of often cracking the red hood plastic). Probably also why I get speedy balls flying out of that wire rail all the time - everything is just slightly off from where it's supposed to be.

20200328_114311 (resized).jpg
#512 12 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Oh wow ... It may very well be a bit forward but what is making it look even worse is the light jackpot arc/plastic is actually in the wrong place ... it should be back on the rear two screws that hold the IR brackets. It is also bent over wicked badly

I believe that's actually intentional, because in the default position the POA will hit it when it's at it's rightmost tilt. When I originally got the machine, I know I moved it to the correct position, but I moved it back after I realized what was happening. I do recall reading this as a "recommended" fix over a decade ago to fix the POA proximity problem.

Also, strangely, I took the ramp off and there are no other holes (stripped or otherwise) under the flap. That means it was installed in this position at the factory, but it's clearly further forward than where I think it's supposed to be.

#514 12 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Oh wow ... It may very well be a bit forward but what is making it look even worse is the light jackpot arc/plastic is actually in the wrong place ... it should be back on the rear two screws that hold the IR brackets. It is also bent over wicked badly

And yeah, now that you mention it, it is bent pretty far back! But, you know what? Call me crazy...but I think I prefer it this way. It's actually at a much better viewing angle than if it was sticking more upright.

#524 12 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Well there ya go! You know when I was adjusting my POA I was looking at that clearance ... made me go hmm ?

Just to follow up on this, there's a noticeable divot in the wood under my POA where it used to hit the metal bracket for the Lite Jackpot plastic. When installed on the lower screws, it has full clearance, but it's not the original configuration, so do with that what you will. (Also note that this position doesn't play well with the "Raise Jackpot" plastic)

I'd definitely watch for this when you're running the POA - make sure it's not bumping that bracket, because it may be limiting the POA range or chipping the wood and you might not even notice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Martin, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aaronzoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside