New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 67724)

Indy 500 Tutorial at PAPA.tv

By ninjadoug

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by hassanchop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#2 7 years ago

Of Special interest is the two 600 million Victory Laps.

#3 7 years ago

Wow. This tutorial is really well done. The addition of skill highlights with slowmo and whiteboard style highlights of shots over the playfield as Bowen is playing is fantastic.

Thanks to everyone involved with producing these.

#4 7 years ago

Looking forward to this one. I own a I500 and it is a favorite in our league but it kicks our asses. Not that this will change anything but at least we will see what we are missing.

#6 7 years ago

I bricked that shot. I bricked out.

Is this some pinball term or a clay colored building block?

Can I use my own building materials like I stuccoed that shot?

What about that shot shingled out?

Serious question. Please explain teacher.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I am assuming this is stolen from basketball, where a real bad shot is referred to as a brick as it just bangs off the side of the rim or something like. So, completely missing the intended shot, like hitting a post when aiming for a ramp is a 'brick' -- that at least is my take. In other words, something most of us do all the time.

Only watched the first few minutes, and already learned a half dozen things.

#8 7 years ago

I like the replays and notations. Very well done! And Bowen, put some shoes on!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

It is slang for a missed shot.

#10 7 years ago

I really granited that one. That shot just drywalled. Shots can carpet out of there.

#11 7 years ago

Man these videos just keep looking better.

#12 7 years ago

As a former I500 owner, I didn't know that the souvenir shot wasn't giving the proper value. I also didn't know that you could "troll bomb" the POLE and dueling drivers modes.

I also never knew how the lit speedway award was advanced. (right ramp... although it is still somewhat of a mystery how many times you hit that ramp to advance which speedway award is lit... and now I don't have the machine to test).

Great stuff!

#13 7 years ago

Picking up souvenirs will speed up getting the 'light up' targets, so it is worth collecting them early in your game. Can't remember for certain, but I think if you have picked up the right (enough) souvenir for a given level, then it requires just a single hit to complete each target.

#14 7 years ago

Each level has a different souvenir helper, except Level 5, which requires 4 shots per hit.

http://papa.org/competitive/game-rulesheets, then click on Indy 500. The rule sheet also gives the odd schedule for Advance Speedway awards.

#15 7 years ago

Best PAPA tutorial yet! The Madden arrows are awesome and really help explain the goals!

#16 7 years ago

Was this done to satisfy a kickstarter award or was it just done as quality programming for papa.tv?

#17 7 years ago

This was great. The flipper skill replays were excellent too. Good job guys!

#18 7 years ago

Awesome tutorial, Bowen!

How about a Centaur tutorial? I watched that game destroy a lot of A division players on the big screen at the last PAPA.

#19 7 years ago

No pitstop cow code? Booo

#20 7 years ago

There's a very nice Indy on location in Fenton, MI... in case you want to try your hand.
http://stateofthepinball.blogspot.com/2013/09/hidden-gem-location-review-indianapolis.html

#21 7 years ago

Quoted from Propaganda:

Quoted from Propaganda:

I really granited that one. That shot just drywalled. Shots can carpet out of there.

You are a tool.
You really nailed us all to the wall with the humor.
We all got screwed with your dumb post.

I used my own building material humor...get it?
Or do you need another lesson from the teacher...serious answer.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Awesome tutorial, Bowen!
How about a Centaur tutorial? I watched that game destroy a lot of A division players on the big screen at the last PAPA.

Not quite a tutorial, but here is PAPA's gameplay video: http://vimeo.com/31530678

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Pacer:

Was this done to satisfy a kickstarter award or was it just done as quality programming for papa.tv?

It's a bit of both. The kickstarter helped us purchase equipment we are now using to produce higher quality videos. Had we not done the kickstarter, we would still be producing videos, but they would still come out at random intervals and be of worse quality. As PAPAtv progresses and we acquire new toys and learn how to use them, we will attempt to remain on a set schedule and the videos / broadcasts will continue to improve in quality.

One thing the equipment can't and did not help with, however, is Bowen kicking the shit out of Indy 500 while the camera was running. That can't be purchased.

#24 7 years ago

thnks for the video!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Highlands Ranch, CO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greensburg, IN
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside