• Latest reply 2 years ago by mollyspub
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3418 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I've got an Indy 500 and love it. Do you have strategy tips or favorite approaches, large or small? I find this game to be richer and richer in the strategy department the more I play it.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

I've got an Indy 500 and love it. Do you have strategy tips or favorite approaches, large or small? I find this game to be richer and richer in the strategy department the more I play it.

The biggest strategy that can lead to the most points is stacking 3x Playfield with your main Mulitball. Left orbit to turbo can lead to some nice points also. Starts at 10 million and and goes up 2 million each time you make it. When you start pit stop MB via right ramp or mode shot. When right ramp is lit at the start, DONT shoot it. Time it out so the only jackpot is the left orbit. This allows you to mainly concentrate on the left orbit. If you start the modes “Dueling Drivers, and “Go for the Pole” hitting the launch buttion spots you once shot

#3 3 years ago

Also when your in your main MB, never put all three balls into the turbo. This awards a 1 time jackpot of only 60 million, but if you have two balls in the turbo, your regular jackpots are worth like 70

#4 3 years ago

To “beat” the game, Gasoline Alley mode is crazy important. If I remember the 3rd shot is “pass 15 drivers” which is huge to complete 200 laps AND finish first.

Did it once!

IMG_3418 (resized).JPGIMG_3418 (resized).JPG
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackpotjared:

Also when your in your main MB, never put all three balls into the turbo. This awards a 1 time jackpot of only 60 million, but if you have two balls in the turbo, your regular jackpots are worth like 70

LOL, man, you are much better than me . I struggle to get one in the turbo in multi ball!

This game is the great sleeper in the 1990's B/W era. It is fast, great sounds, lots of timed modes, great ramp shots and one of the better video modes.
Good to see it get a little love in the forum.

#6 3 years ago

Some of my thoughts:

Yes gasoline alley 3rd shot is huge. Don't carry that mode into multiball.

Secret race modes (center shot when quick pit or go for the pole modes are lit) can help pickup position as well. Be ready to aggressively nudge when the ball approaches the pops!

Use pit stop multiball to pick off light ups since this otherwise a fairly low scoring multiball. Definitely tend to souvenir collection to ease advancing the light up waves.

Build multiball jackpot value early to max payoff from all subsequent multiballs.

Good modes to stack into multiball: 3x, wrong turn, dueling drivers, maybe go for the pole.

Turbo boost multiball can be HUGE if you can cradle a ball on each flipper and get in rhythm with the right and upper flipper. Builds to 90 million jackpots as long as you can go.

Consider adjusting your selections in change set up strategically. Good for picking up laps. Light lock is low value early but high value as multiballs get harder to light.

Added over 3 years ago:

I should clarify that you build multiball jackpot value by shooting the turbo shot when it's not lit for a lock.

#7 3 years ago

Looking for one in the buffalo ny area!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Looking for one in the buffalo ny area!

I'm unlikely ever to get rid of mine! Found a great version at a solid price.

#9 3 years ago

"ball 1 is locked in the turbobobby!"

#10 3 years ago

We haven't seen a shot to the turbo yet from this driver...

That's right Paul, he may not even know that upper flipper's there!

#11 3 years ago

MOVE YOUR CAR!

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

To “beat” the game, Gasoline Alley mode is crazy important. If I remember the 3rd shot is “pass 15 drivers” which is huge to complete 200 laps AND finish first.
Did it once![quoted image]

I've picked up 3 victory laps in one game (and was on the doorstep of 4 and 5 (laps and modes again) but have yet to get to first position.

#13 3 years ago

This is not true with my 1.1 code. What is the latest code?

With v1.1, the game will only score a 52M jackpot from a ramp with 2 balls in the turbobobby, vs a 60M SJP with 3 balls locked. But yes, ramp jackpots do increase when balls are locked. SJP's don't increase.

After scoring one SJP by locking 3 balls into the turbobobby, my game will kick a 4th ball into play.

The only way to score a 2nd SJP is if you can lock all 4 balls, but it's still worth the same 60M. After that, no SJP's are available anymore.

Two SJP's (3-ball locked, and 4-ball locked) is the max.

It's always a thrill to nail a Superjackpot, but ultimately more points can be earned by locking and repeating ramps for jackpots.

Hitting a 2nd SJP is insanely difficult, and should be worth much more.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Indy 500 strategy?

I've been to the race three times years ago. Try to get in front of all the other cars, pit only on yellow, and keep turning left.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

This is not true with my 1.1 code. What is the latest code?
With v1.1, the game will only score a 52M jackpot from a ramp with 2 balls in the turbobobby, vs a 60M SJP with 3 balls locked. But yes, ramp jackpots do increase when balls are locked. SJP's don't increase.
After scoring one SJP by locking 3 balls into the turbobobby, my game will kick a 4th ball into play.
The only way to score a 2nd SJP is if you can lock all 4 balls, but it's still worth the same 60M. After that, no SJP's are available anymore.
Two SJP's (3-ball locked, and 4-ball locked) is the max.
It's always a thrill to nail a Superjackpot, but ultimately more points can be earned by locking and repeating ramps for jackpots.
Hitting a 2nd SJP is insanely difficult, and should be worth much more.

Agree that the coding on the multiball could have been better. Your point holds all the more once the jackpot values are higher by building at the turbo lock shot in single ball play.

I really, really wish a few code tweaks and bug fixes were possible to update this game. It really could be a perfect game with a solid update. Maybe one day...

#16 3 years ago

Multiball Add-a-ball: If down to two balls, lock them both in Turbo, and 3rd ball will be auto-plunged. Enjoy your single-ball Jackpot time. (I didn't know about the 4-ball... I don't think the I500's I've played do this if you collect the SJP with a 3rd ball to the Turbo)

You can move next-up mode counter-clockwise around track by riding the R ramp, but it's inconsistent -- not EVERY R ramp changes your flashing mode: R ramps #2, 3, 8, 10, 15, 17, 18, 20, 22, 24, 28, 35 will change your mode.
- you can advance your flashing (next) mode during multiballs

#17 3 years ago

If any of you would really like to go down the "Change Set Up" rabbit hole, follow me:
(EDIT: for clarification, Change Setup will start at different spots in this sequence each time, and it wraps around from #26 to #1)

# Award
1 1 Million
2 15 Million
3 Spot Pit Lane
4 10 Laps
5 5 Million
6 5 Laps
7 15 Million
8 50 Points
9 Light Change Setup
10 15 Million
11 20 Million
12 70 Points
13 Light Lock
14 15 Million
15 10 Million
16 3 Million
17 20 Points
18 15 Million
19 Spot Pit Lane
20 10 Million
21 5 Laps
22 100 Points
23 1 Million
24 15 Million
25 50 Points
26 20 Million

Cues for the important ones:
- Light Lock is 1 flip after 70 Points
- Light Lock is 4 flips after Light Change Setup.
- 20 Million is 5 flips after 5 Laps.

#18 3 years ago

I sometimes see "Lite Extra Ball" as a first selection. Not sure why it is an option sometimes.

Also during video mode, I've never seen extra ball. I rarely play it well, but I have gotten through it (avoided 30 obstacles) and still have never seen it.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I sometimes see "Lite Extra Ball" as a first selection. Not sure why it is an option sometimes.

That could be. The list I posted is when it's on competition settings, which would make sense why Lite EB would be removed.

For high score / going for #1 play, getting Lite EB would be VERY valuable! I'm guessing it's a one-time collection in Change Set up?

#20 3 years ago

My strategy is to make the ball last longer than nine seconds. Indy 500 is tough for me. Seems like the geometry is slightly different and when I move over to this game I need time to adjust to it. Fast and furious and quick drains. Decent scores are earned, no doubt. Love it. Thanks for all the tips.

#21 3 years ago

My theory is I have so many crap games it's programed to throw me a bone.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Also during video mode, I've never seen extra ball. I rarely play it well, but I have gotten through it (avoided 30 obstacles) and still have never seen it.

May have to do with the max number of extra balls per the adjustable settings on your game. Since one is available via right ramp, raceway mode, and collecting light ups, I suspect the one on change set up goes away.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

May have to do with the max number of extra balls per the adjustable settings on your game. Since one is available via right ramp, raceway mode, and collecting light ups, I suspect the one on change set up goes away.

It doesn't show up often but I kinda think Ive seen it before getting 8 right ramps to light extra ball.

How about the video mode? Is there really an EB available in it? I have never seen it even when I avoid all obstacles. I assume it's because I miss too many of the point value objects. I really suck at that video mode.

f you start the modes “Dueling Drivers, and “Go for the Pole” hitting the launch buttion spots you once shot

My launch button doesn't spot a shot in these modes. It didn't work when I tried it. I wonder if it's a setting. The button doesn't flash during these modes either, It only flashes when it's ready to launch a ball.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It doesn't show up often but I kinda think Ive seen it before getting 8 right ramps to light extra ball.
How about the video mode? Is there really an EB available in it? I have never seen it even when I avoid all obstacles. I assume it's because I miss too many of the point value objects. I really suck at that video mode.

My launch button doesn't spot a shot in these modes. It didn't work when I tried it. I wonder if it's a setting. The button doesn't flash during these modes either, It only flashes when it's ready to launch a ball.

The extra ball in light change setup is separate from lighting it via the right ramp.

Not sure about the vid mode EB but I suspect you're right that you have to progress through the point collections. I've definitely.collected one here.

Not sure if the launch button scoring in modes is a setting. Maybe unique to software v. 1.1?

#25 3 years ago

I believe that both the extra ball found in the change setup award and video mode extra ball are random. Which is why they are removed from the competition settings.

3 months later
#26 2 years ago

Whats the first shot do you guys go for ? Is it always the left ramp/ skill shot?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Whats the first shot do you guys go for ? Is it always the left ramp/ skill shot?

Nope, skill shot is worthless. Left orbit should be your first shot. Or if scores are low, pass over and shoot right ramp to start “go for the pole mode”

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

The skill shot is pretty weak. But hitting that ramp then upper flipping to the lock is a nice way to build jackpot values early, if you can reliably hit those. Builds to 50 million. More times than a few I've put up hundreds of millions on one multiball, all the more so if you stack in 3x where each jackpot can be 150 million.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

The skill shot is pretty weak. But hitting that ramp then upper flipping to the lock is a nice way to build jackpot values early, if you can reliably hit those. Builds to 50 million. More times than a few I've put up hundreds of millions on one multiball, all the more so if you stack in 3x where each jackpot can be 150 million.

Wouldn't this just continue multiball over and over? I've only had the game less than a week now so I'm just learning the rules.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Wouldn't this just continue multiball over and over? I've only had the game less than a week now so I'm just learning the rules.

If lock isn't lit, shooting the lock/turbo adds 2 million to the jackpot award, from a base of 30 million, up to 50. Holds for the duration of the game. This happens more often, incidentally, as you play more multiballs and the lock gets harder to light and thus the turbo is lit for lock less often.

#31 2 years ago

Shooting the turbo also helps complete the INDY lane lights and thus collect souvenirs and thus enables you to more easily complete waves of light up targets through the game (I find that pit stop multiball nis a good time if you want to be deliberate in taking those down)

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Left orbit. To light lock (or progress toward lighting lock), and set up Loop Turbo combo. In addition to the points per combo value, loop turbo combos feel sooooo good.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I think the EB is buried pretty deep in the video mode, so you need to get the point awards AND also drive into the oil slicks! If you avoid either, they count as an avoided obstacle, and shorten the mode.

#34 2 years ago

Pretty thorough on strategy...

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Pretty thorough on strategy...

I've been watching this...very well done!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
€ 17.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indy-500-strategy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.