Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by UNCgump
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a chance of this game ever getting a ROM that would at least fix some of the bugs? How hard is that to do?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

is there a chance of this game ever getting a ROM that would at least fix some of the bugs? How hard is that to do?

Not likely.

You'd need permission and access to Williams code. And then be proficient in programming and testing it. ( not easy )

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

First, make sure you're running the latest revision available. According to the IPDB page, that's version 1.1. If you're running anything earlier than that, I'd highly recommend getting it. Either by burning your own EPROM or ordering a burned EPROM from someone who offers that service.

As for the potential to fix bugs--it's hard. The source code isn't available to the general public. Reverse engineering the compiled code is very difficult, and very few people have the skills or interest in diving into that.

So, unfortunately, as things currently stand, it is very unlikely that anyone will be releasing any updates.

#4 3 years ago

Interested that the Williams code remains private all these years later.

Quoted from LTG:

Not likely.
You'd need permission and access to Williams code. And then be proficient in programming and testing it. ( not easy )

Is a lot of the earlier code thought to be in the wild? I'll look up what the differences are. How hard is the EPROMs to find and install?

#5 3 years ago

I dont' think I500 has a lot of bugs. I play it all the time.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Since it may have ties to their gambling stuff, even when the pinball division was for sale, that wouldn't have gone with.

Quoted from UNCgump:

Is a lot of the earlier code thought to be in the wild?

No.

Quoted from UNCgump:

How hard is the EPROMs to find and install?

Easy. download from https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl and burn it on a ROM

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I dont' think I500 has a lot of bugs. I play it all the time.

But then again... Please see the list in the first post here.

http://tiltforums.com/t/indianapolis-500-bugs/6127

And please contribute if you know more wicked stuff under the hood of I500.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Why wouldn't it be? No other pinball company has released their source code, either. (There are some artifacts of Bally source code that you can bid on on ebay, but it's strictly for private use, not to actually create new code)

Quoted from UNCgump:

Is a lot of the earlier code thought to be in the wild? I'll look up what the differences are. How hard is the EPROMs to find and install?

Most operators never updated code, so likely anything that went out with earlier code, still has earlier code in it. Since there's only one version archived at ipdb, there's not likely a bunch of earlier code out in the wild.

Eproms are easy to find and install. One chip on your mpu board, and multiple places that can burn you a chip.

We'll have to wait for PPS announcement regarding code to see what fixes might be able to take place, if any. It would only be their good will that it would take place - it costs them nothing to leave things the way they are.

The alternates would be to recode the entire game using freeWPC or replacing the MPU board with Proc or some other kind of controller and rewriting as well.

#9 3 years ago

Only bug I hate is it doesn't spot a pit lane if selected during hit the wall.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Only bug I hate is it doesn't spot a pit lane if selected during hit the wall.

I noticed this one the other day, pissed me off

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Why wouldn't it be? No other pinball company has released their source code, either. (There are some artifacts of Bally source code that you can bid on on ebay, but it's strictly for private use, not to actually create new code)

Most operators never updated code, so likely anything that went out with earlier code, still has earlier code in it. Since there's only one version archived at ipdb, there's not likely a bunch of earlier code out in the wild.
Eproms are easy to find and install. One chip on your mpu board, and multiple places that can burn you a chip.
We'll have to wait for pps announcement regarding code to see what fixes might be able to take place, if any. It would only be their good will that it would take place - it costs them nothing to leave things the way they are.
The alternates would be to recode the entire game using freeWPC or replacing the MPU board with Proc or some other kind of controller and rewriting as well.

People have modified wpc code. If you dig there is a fair bit more documentation on doing it than say, alvin g. The problem is, if he is asking then its a very big mountain to climb just to learn how.

Legally speaking there is nothing stopping someone from reverse engineering any pinball code and creating a patch, releasing the patch. If they are in america there is nothing stopping pps from filing an unjust cease and desist. There have been claims, unsubstantiated, that they may have done this to soren. Most people don't want to spend money to hire a lawyer so it doesn't take much for a company to abuse the court system and prevent updated code from being released.

#12 3 years ago

I take the points about the privacy of the code.

soren post linked nails my general point to the wall. This is a great game in need of work to smooth it out.

I am definitely not the one to execute the fixes, but I'd be happy to help crowd fund them.

#13 3 years ago

I'm left wondering if there has ever been a full, glass-off investigation of the scoring structure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
€ 17.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indy-500-code-rom?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.