(Topic ID: 309639)

Induction cooktop or no?

By harryhoudini

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ACAF75F6-89F0-4C5B-AC3C-8EE962068F95 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Gotta replace our electric stove. Some of my pans will work for induction, so I would have to replace a few. Price difference in what I'm looking at is around $500 more for the induction. So far all I've read is that others rave about it. I have been find cooking on the flat top electric for 10 years now, before that always gas which I would rather have but no option here. So I guess I just want to confirm that before I spend about $800-1000 more for the induction that I'll have no regrets.

#2 2 years ago

We are remodeling kitchen and decided on induction for the fast heat/boil performance. Price of a few new pots/pans seemed negligible. Haven’t installed yet but same here, when asking around people seem to like.

#3 2 years ago

Do you have induction-ready cookware? I.e., cast iron, or cookware with the required iron content? Or will you have to buy new pans too? And is that factored into your price? I see you need some new ones...

Also, when do you need it? Are both available now? Or do you need to order one? Took me eight months to get my cook top last year. Although I hear things are getting better...

Are you a "cook"? Or is this just an appliance? In which case, I would go for the cheaper one...

All things being equal, I definitely prefer gas, but loved the precision and control my induction cooktop offered at my last house.

#4 2 years ago

No. Gas inside, charcoal outside.

#5 2 years ago

I heard that all them spinning magnets give you the 5gs in your bloodstream.

After pining for gas for YEARS, and now finally having access to a gas range after using a flattop electric (non-induction) for the last 5 years.... I *HATE GAS*. Yes, it cooks more evenly. It's also a hell of a lot slower in my experience, and the gas oven? Jesus christ, like literally zero instructions on anything frozen are ever accurate for this oven, and using the top vs. bottom rack is the line between raw and *blackened* food. The flattop was infinitely easier to clean up as well. I would take induction (or even another glass electric) over gas in a heartbeat, even if it meant replacing every pan I have.

#6 2 years ago

Induction will be night and day better than your flat top electric. I still prefer gas though and am curious about your “no option “ comment. We built in an area with no natural gas lines but bought a 500# propane tank to feed the cook top. There were lots of model options with LP conversions, if you absolutely want to go gas.

#7 2 years ago

My mom's house had electric, I have a gas stove and like it better. As for induction, never tried it and maybe it's great but I just don't have time to hassle around with getting new pans, throwing old ones out and all that crap. And I couldn't cook anything on the stove made of glass or ceramic? Forget that.

#8 2 years ago

Induction for the win by a country mile.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Induction for the win by a country mile.

The only thing country folk would do with an induction oven is sell it.

#10 2 years ago

Thanks, going to go for the induction. I think most of the cookware is ready for induction and we can replace the few pans that aren't. That was part of the additional cost.

As far as gas, too much effort and unsightly install to have propane here (it was here before we moved in) plus we'd want to use it for much more stuff if we had it so not wanting to deal with it, refilling, etc. The only advantage I can see is using when the power is out. We have a generator but not covering the stove. But it's such not an inconvenience that it doesn't matter, we just use the micro/toaster/air fryer when the power is out.

#11 2 years ago

Just switched to induction last month, do it!

Water boils super quickly, and the entire surface of your pan heats evenly.

I’d recommend one without knobs, super easy to clean.

ACAF75F6-89F0-4C5B-AC3C-8EE962068F95 (resized).jpegACAF75F6-89F0-4C5B-AC3C-8EE962068F95 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/induction-cooktop-or-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.