(Topic ID: 188091)

Inductance vs Resistance

By GreenMachine19

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GreenMachine19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I work at a Nuclear power plant. The rod control system works using a stack of very large coils to withdraw and insert the control rods. During the current refuel I've been working on, our vendor had recommended changing our procedures for testing. We used to just perform resistance and insulation resistance(meggar) checks. The vendor stated that resistance is not a good measure of coil degradation and we now also perform an inductance check measured in "henrys". We had previously had 2 upper gripper coils fail that had previously passed resistance checks after appearing noisy on our coil current monitoring equipment. During this refuel we had a coil pass resistance checks per our procedure but fail the new inductance checks. This coil was replaced. Now that I've bored you with that. Could this information possibly help troubleshoot a weak acting coil that otherwise seems fine because you checked the resistance per the manual and called it good? I haven't seen a database that gives an acceptable range of measurements for the various coils that are in pinball machines. I guess you could get baseline data from a brand new coil to compare to.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I live in CT so I recommend you perform every check the vendor recommends at least twice and see if there are any other checks you have not been doing.
As for a pinball coil, the resistance check is not done for the strength of the coil, it is usually done when a driver transistor fails or a fuse blows and you want to make sure there isn't a short.
Now stop thinking about pinball during work hours and please make sure those control rods can be inserted.

Not at work, currently on nights. Understand the resistance check is to look for a short. Just curious if coil degradation can be seen on an inductance check with small pinball coils. Just my own curiosity. As a side note our coils are used to control reactor power. To safely shutdown they just need to fall in. So unless gravity stops being a thing, I assure you it is very safe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 63.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GreenMachine19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/inductance-vs-resistance?tu=GreenMachine19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.