20211121_130943 (resized).jpg
20211121_130935 (resized).jpg
20211121_130923 (resized).jpg
20211121_105141 (resized).jpg
20211121_131522 (resized).jpg
SN (resized).jpg
I-500.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 2 years ago

I noticed that the playfield on my Indy 500 pin is missing some key lettering (see picture attached). I've searched on-line for replacement lettering but have yet to find any. Any suggestions on how to add these?

I-500.pdfI-500.pdf
#2 2 years ago

Interesting! Why is it missing, it looks like it was made that way... is it a prototype?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Staffan:

Interesting! Why is it missing, it looks like it was made that way... is it a prototype?

I'm scratching my head on the logic behind the "why". The yellow car decal is missing, as well. All the others are there. Not sure about the history of this machine, as I've only owned it for a few weeks. I realize with the low production numbers for this machine there is likely never going to be aftermarket decals available for it.

#4 2 years ago

just to be clear, there isn't supposed to be any decals on the playfield. If it is missing it means that it wasn't printed.
+there is that checkered pattern...

#5 2 years ago

You have some sort of a prototype. Some prototypes have red boards on the underside of the playfield. Looks at the edge of the playfield by the apron and see if there is some stamps or writing of some sort. What is the serial #?

#6 2 years ago

Please post some more images and the serial number..
I'm sure someone will have more knowledge...

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

You have some sort of a prototype. Some prototypes have red boards on the underside of the playfield. Looks at the edge of the playfield by the apron and see if there is some stamps or writing of some sort. What is the serial #?

Here is the SN.

SN (resized).jpgSN (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago

That is pretty high up to be a sample or a proto. I am shopping one for a friend and his is #531. He has the very dark blue playfield and the solid red behind the cars on the cab.

Can you post a pic of your pf?

#9 2 years ago

Certainly. Here it is.

20211121_131522 (resized).jpg20211121_131522 (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago

FYI - I did just create my own lettering for the spots that were in question. I printed them out and taped them over the top of the lenses where they were missing (LIGHT LOCK, PASS, INCREASE BOOST, LIGHT SPEEDWAY).

Also, I replaced the original car for the pit stop lock to a smaller scale match box, and added a similar one above the right ramp. I've also added a couple of spot lights.

Also notice that the arrows say "Detour" instead of "Lock". Another odd difference between mine an others.

#11 2 years ago

Can I ask where you got this game ? I’m asking because when I was looking for one, I was contacted ( forgot from whom ) here on pinside about one for sale. It had the same detour inserts or decals instead of locks.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can I ask where you got this game ? I’m asking because when I was looking for one, I was contacted ( forgot from whom ) here on pinside about one for sale. It had the same detour inserts or decals instead of locks.

Sure. It came from a guy in Eau Claire, WI.

#13 2 years ago

Weird that the checkered flag was only added to 3 of the 4 lanes.

Here is the one I am working on. No checkered lanes at all

20211121_105141 (resized).jpg20211121_105141 (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

[quoted image]

Yea, I was about to say the same. Very strange

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

[quoted image]

Would you be able to send me a picture of the yellow car from directly above, as well as one of the other lights (PASS, LIGHT LOCK, LIGHT SPEEDWAY, INCREASE BOOST), also straight down from above? I may want to play around with printing them out on transparent paper and taping them on, especially the car.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Cwest:

Would you be able to send me a picture of the yellow car from directly above, as well as one of the other lights (PASS, LIGHT LOCK, LIGHT SPEEDWAY, INCREASE BOOST), also straight down from above? I may want to play around with printing them out on transparent paper and taping them on, especially the car.

Sure. I will send em when I am back.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Cwest:

Sure. It came from a guy in Eau Claire, WI.

Pretty sure that’s the one.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Sure. I will send em when I am back.

Great. Thanks. No rush.

#19 2 years ago
20211121_130923 (resized).jpg20211121_130923 (resized).jpg20211121_130935 (resized).jpg20211121_130935 (resized).jpg20211121_130943 (resized).jpg20211121_130943 (resized).jpg20211121_130951 (resized).jpg20211121_130951 (resized).jpg
#20 2 years ago
20211121_130956 (resized).jpg20211121_130956 (resized).jpg
#21 2 years ago

Thank you. Greatly appreciated.

#22 2 years ago

I took a closer look and noticed that there are separate mylar strips placed in several locations in the middle of the playfield. They seem to correspond to the same areas I am seeing the differences in the graphics, as described above. I have attached a few pictures showing close up's of what I'm seeing, hoping that someone can check their I-500 to see if it has similar mylar strips. I can clearly feel and see the edges of these pieces and they are placed over the original mylar sheet covering the main playfield area. I am wondering what is underneath and if it would benefit the graphics if I tried removing the, however, I don't want to create a worse situation. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. This issue is very puzzling, for sure.

I-1.pdfI-1.pdfI-2.pdfI-2.pdfI-3.pdfI-3.pdfI-4.pdfI-4.pdf
#23 2 years ago

I took an identical picture of one of yours and compared them. Yours clearly does not have the additional mylar on it like mine. Really temped to pull it off but still confused as to why someone would have put it on in the first place.

I-5.pdfI-5.pdf
#24 2 years ago

That mylar most likely is protecting the different graphics and not factory. I would guess that if you pulled the mylar, the checkered flags would come with it or quickly and easily worn away.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

That mylar most likely is protecting the different graphics and not factory. I would guess that if you pulled the mylar, the checkered flags would come with it or quickly and easily worn away.

Agree 100%. Question is…what’s underneath
the graphics? We’re they installed to cover up damage? Sorry OP but the more I follow this thread , the more I’m glad I passed on this one.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Agree 100%. Question is…what’s underneath
the graphics? We’re they installed to cover up damage? Sorry OP but the more I follow this thread , the more I’m glad I passed on this one.

No problem. Wish I would have taken a closer look at it too. Just assumed everything was correct.

#27 2 years ago

This title in general seems to have so many odd variances. I will be watching this. I would not pull that mylar.

#28 2 years ago

I recognize this game, it was my father's at one point. He purchased it from Pinball Warehouse in Minnesota in 2013 or 2014, I wasn't familiar enough with this game to realize anything was off. It would have came like that from Pinball Warehouse, not sure if they were applied by them or a previous owner.

#29 2 years ago

All those differences look like they were added to cover up damage. In most of the cases it looks like the insert had raised, or the clear chipped off. Once the clear and insert art was gone, the inserts were cleaned up and the decals/fixes were applied. The reason you can probably see the wheels on some of the inserts is because the artwork for the car is larger than the insert.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

All those differences look like they were added to cover up damage. In most of the cases it looks like the insert had raised, or the clear chipped off. Once the clear and insert art was gone, the inserts were cleaned up and the decals/fixes were applied. The reason you can probably see the wheels on some of the inserts is because the artwork for the car is larger than the insert.

This. Playfield had serious insert wear/damage and they made some decals to cover it up. Kind of a bummer. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

€ 17.50
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-playfield-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.