(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,737 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by amxfc3s
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider midcoastsurf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#247 10 years ago

Has anyone successfully repaired a broken mount on the right habitrail where it connects to the right slingshot post? I don't have the missing mount. The wireform shakes pretty good when the balls come whizzing down for multiball.
ramp-251.pngramp-251.png

#248 10 years ago

Which warm frosted LEDs for the backbox:

- Pinball Life or Cointaker? Are they pretty similar when used in the backbox?

The inserts on my game already had LEDs installed when I got it.

#250 10 years ago

Is there supposed to be a blue bumper pad at the top of the ball launch ramp? Mine doesn't have one...but I would think there should be...

#253 10 years ago

I am having issues with my Turbo Scoop VUK. Besides the ball bouncing out 8/10 times, the VUK successfully kicks the ball into the turbo only about 50% of the time. The other times, the ball only makes it halfway up the wireform. The ball must be hitting something and losing its momentum. It doesn't appear that the backstop is in the way and the wireform is secure with no movement. Should the wireform be pushed towards the spinning turbo area, or pulled closer to the bottom flippers? It appears it can be adjusted about 1/4" or so.

Is the mod that Cliffy suggests the best one to keep the ball from bouncing out of the scoop? (the mod is to make the bend in the backstop about 1/4" higher than where it currently is to direct the ball downwards). I don't have a Cliffy on my scoop yet.

#255 10 years ago

I do not currently have a Cliffy installed and I get a TON of bounce outs. Was the foam installed on the left side ball guide?

With regards to the ball not making it all the way up the wireform into the turbo, I am thinking that the ball might be making too much contact with the wireform early on, this slowing it down...other times it works great. I checked the four screws securing the bracket under the playfield and everything is solid. I am pretty sure it's an alignment issue with the trajectory of the ball, just not sure how to adjust. I will try and take a video of it.

Thanks

#257 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Never had this problem with the VUK but maybe try inspecting/cleaning the coil plunger and putting a new coil sleeve in there to give it more energy on the lift?

I don't feel any friction if I move the plunger manually, but it couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean it up. Also a good excuse to bend the backstop while I am at it.

Has anyone tried dropping the assembly down a bit with the use of washers on the underside? (Similar to preventing bounce outs on IJ mode start saucer.

#262 10 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Can you post a picture or two? I think I know what a draft excluder is, but would it be possible for you to post a link to product page at an online store?
Thanks!

+1

I have no idea what a draft excluder is. Please post a picture and more details of this mod. When the ball does not make it up the VUK on the first try, it always makes it on the 3rd try...rarely on the 2nd try. Weird. I still need to post a video of this...maybe someone can see the problem right away.

#264 10 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

I am having issues with my Turbo Scoop VUK. Besides the ball bouncing out 8/10 times, the VUK successfully kicks the ball into the turbo only about 50% of the time. The other times, the ball only makes it halfway up the wireform. The ball must be hitting something and losing its momentum. It doesn't appear that the backstop is in the way and the wireform is secure with no movement. Should the wireform be pushed towards the spinning turbo area, or pulled closer to the bottom flippers? It appears it can be adjusted about 1/4" or so.
Is the mod that Cliffy suggests the best one to keep the ball from bouncing out of the scoop? (the mod is to make the bend in the backstop about 1/4" higher than where it currently is to direct the ball downwards). I don't have a Cliffy on my scoop yet.

FIXED! The reason the ball did not make it up the wireform every time is because it was not centered above the plunger. The metal had worn away towards the front of the scoop causing the circle in the plate to become oblong. The red circle in the first picture shows where the ball *should* be sitting when properly on top of the plunger tip. I have put in a piece of target backing foam for now to help center the ball on the cupped plunger tip. If someone has a better long-term fix, please let me know. The pictures explain the problem and solution....
VUK before 1.jpgVUK before 1.jpgVUK before 2.jpgVUK before 2.jpgVUK fix.jpgVUK fix.jpg

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You may want to create a genric VUK problem thread with your solution so people with other games will see it if they have the problem. Also might find someone with another solution.

Great idea! I just posted this in the Tech forum. Here is the link in case others post additional solutions:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vuk-problem-and-solution-ball-not-making-it-up-wireform#post-1475681

#268 10 years ago

Most cabs are faded. Hard to say if the price is fair without seeing pics. I also don't know the price of pins in your area.

1 week later
#282 10 years ago

Has anyone here successfully prevented bounce-outs from the turbo scoop? The ball bounces out about 75% of the time on my game. REALLY annoying. I read the fix on Cliffy's website, but there aren't any pictures and I think the backstop on my machine was previously bent, so hard to know what it *should* look like after the bending mod.

If someone has a fix or has done the Cliffy mod, can you please take pictures?

#284 10 years ago

SwedishC,

You may have me confused with someone else. I traded a machine for my Indy.

#291 10 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Has anyone here successfully prevented bounce-outs from the turbo scoop? The ball bounces out about 75% of the time on my game. REALLY annoying. I read the fix on Cliffy's website, but there aren't any pictures and I think the backstop on my machine was previously bent, so hard to know what it *should* look like after the bending mod.
If someone has a fix or has done the Cliffy mod, can you please take pictures?

anyone?

#295 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Do you have the cliffy protector installed or not?
Mine without the protector works great. I do get some bounceouts but no more than any other shot. I saw someone that used sticky memory foam strips on the sides or back and that helped them. It may be earlier in this thread or you can try searching pinside for it.

I do not have a Cliffy installed. I am guessing it's the angle of the backstop...just not sure what the best angle is. It not bounces out 8/10 times. I have to try and delay the shot from the upper right flipper just slightly so the ball hits the metal ball guide first, then travels into the scoop. This helps, but it's frustrating.

2 weeks later
#313 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The turbo shoots the two balls out faster during multiball than when it just shoots a single ball out at other times. On many I500s, the two balls comes careening out of there so fast that they fly off the wireform.

This is also how mine works. If I shoot a ball in the turbo and lock is not lit, the ball will be kicked out on to the ramp to the right flipper...but much slower than when multiball starts. When the two balls are kicked out for multiball they come FLYING down the ramp.

1 week later
#318 10 years ago

Anyone here looking to buy an Indy 500 machine? I am in the SF Bay Area.

1 week later
#338 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Nice job! I'm going to have to give this a go soon. I'm in the process of negotiating a swap of my Road Show for an Indy 500 and all three light up targets are broken in this way.

Funny, that's how I got my Indy.

6 months later
#417 9 years ago
Quoted from Spies:

I popped a ball on but it doesn't look like its helped to centre the ball over the popper, can the popper be modded with a cup style one?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/6

#418 9 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of what the turbo scoop backstop is supposed to look like after making the cliffy-suggested "bend"? I have tried using a round blue rubber on the backstop as well as bending the backstop, but the ball only stays in the lock about 1 in 7 shots (with and without the blue rubber)...which makes me want to walk away from the game half the time. I checked the flipper coil for the upper right coil and it is the one the manual specifies should be there.

#421 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

This is why I have not installed the Cliffy on the Turbo scoop. I get enough bounceouts without it on there.... Another trick I read to reduce bounceouts (I have not tried) is to install foam pads on the leading edge of the turbo hole cutout (the edge the cliffy is protecting). Thinking being the ball hits the backstop, and bounces against the front edge of the scoop hole and rattles out. The foam on the leading edge of the hole will slow the ball on the rebound, keeping it in the hole more often...

I have a piece of drop target foam at the front edge of the scoop and the results are just as bad. I put the foam there to center the ball in the scoop, which works great!...if the ball ever stays in the scoop long enough...haha

There has to be a solution that works consistently 90%+ of the time. A weaker coil for the upper right flipper possibly? Some sort of rubber for the backstop that absorbs most of the ball's energy? (blue rubber seems to hard) I LOVE this game, but those dang bounce outs drive me nuts.

#424 9 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

Take a protractor and measure the current angle of the bend

That's my issue. The backstop has already been bent before so I don't know what the original angle is. Does anyone have a picture of their backtop either before or after the bend was made?

1 year later
#648 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have been looking for a bit (casually) and 2700-3200 is the norm.

+1 Not sure how long this game will last in this price range, but I don't see it dropping any time soon. To me, it's just a matter of time for people to play this game and learn the rule set. The fastest B/W pin of the 90's?

#649 7 years ago

HELP: The Indy car mech that holds the ball during "pit stop" has too much play. When the coil is activated, the ball slips past the diverter every time, even though the plunger pulled in. It appears that either the spring that attaches the link to the plunger needs to be shortened, the plunger shaft needs to be shortened?, or something else. Either way, I believe there needs to be a stronger "hold" pull when the coil is activated.

Any ideas/fixes?

#651 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Mine started to do this before I shopped my machine. In the shopping process, that whole mechanism needs to be removed so I cleaned it up, replaced the coil sleeve, lubed the pivot points and re-assembled. I have not had that problem since.

Thanks for the tip! Inspected and cleaned up the mechanism. Replaced sleeve. Still issue with ball slipping past diverter. Loosened hex screw holding rod to mech under playfield and adjusted diverter from the top side so the ball just barely fit through the gap during normal game play, but created a more forceful hold position during the pit stop. So far, so good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 37.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
€ 17.50
$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider midcoastsurf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome?tu=midcoastsurf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.