(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,733 posts
  • 227 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by mollyspub
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
IMG_9121 (resized).jpg
IMG_9113 (resized).jpg
IMG_9115 (resized).jpg
IMG_9116 (resized).jpg
IMG_9112 (resized).jpg
IMG_9109 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knobstone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 10 years ago

I also was able to secure this game about a month ago. Game is definitely hard to find but a very underrated, fun game. Anyway, Just wanted to share a possible solution to the turbo hole bounce out, especially if you are using "cliffy" protector. I used a piece of weather foam to help reduce the bounce outs

IMG_0407.jpgIMG_0407.jpg

#110 10 years ago

It's not perfect, but it really helped in reducing the amount of bounce outs. Cliff's solution is also very helpful, but this is a lot easier to do.

IMG_0408.jpgIMG_0408.jpg

#111 10 years ago

From gweempose:

Quoted from gweempose:Interesting idea. How effective is it?

Before installing the foam, I was getting 5 to ten bounce outs for every 10 flipper shots, now it's down to to maybe two at most.

Let me explain further, most shots from the top right flipper now go in. Before using the foam, you had to be very precise for the ball not to bounce out of the turbo hole. With the foam piece installed the flipper shot is more forgiving. I am very pleased with the results, but again some bounce outs do occur, but not many.

Just wanted to mention this idea was posted on another forum in 2005. Need to use my Google powers so i can find the original post.

4 years later
#789 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

That's the problem I can't get ahold of anyone over there.

Having the same problem, emailed Great Lakes days ago, no response. Also, Great Lakes have not been to any shows for a while now.

2 months later
#796 5 years ago

The target boards are becoming very difficult to acquire. Found two on Ebay Italy site. Great Lakes Modular should at least shut down th website. All there doing is wasting time for customers.

4 months later
#855 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone out there have any of the clear target faces just had one bust tonight.

Try contacting Pinball Inc in Georgia. They might be able to make you one.
885 Streamside Dr.
McDonough, GA 30252
Email: [email protected]
Telephone
770-270-8911

Also try the Pinball Heaven website. I bought two about six months ago.

2 years later
#1342 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:I'm still studying how best to eliminate the issue.
I had a working solution that would allow the 2nd ball to escape out after a few tries when the vuk would fire. But the gate was only 95% effective because the gate clearance was barely smaller than the ball. Good, but not perfect. The number of super jackpots still went way up.
So I lowered the gate to be100% effective, but it prevented the 2nd ball to escape if two got stuck. It's a rare occurrence, but it requires lifting the glass so it's unacceptable for me.
With drilled holes, I'd want to be 100% sure two balls can't get stuck.
The problem is that the VUK doesn't fire to immediately clear out the ball. WH2O somehow avoids this issue.

Quoted from RTS:

I'm still studying how best to eliminate the issue.
I had a working solution that would allow the 2nd ball to escape out after a few tries when the vuk would fire. But the gate was only 95% effective because the gate clearance was barely smaller than the ball. Good, but not perfect. The number of super jackpots still went way up.
So I lowered the gate to be100% effective, but it prevented the 2nd ball to escape if two got stuck. It's a rare occurrence, but it requires lifting the glass so it's unacceptable for me.
With drilled holes, I'd want to be 100% sure two balls can't get stuck.
The problem is that the VUK doesn't fire to immediately clear out the ball. WH2O somehow avoids this issue.

This is a great idea, and wanted to share another solution using small strips of foam insulation to decrease the bounce outs. I also highly recommend the following steps provided by Cliffy Turbo VUK backstop mod:

"The Turbo hole with vertical upkicker (VUK) assembly is a bit of a poor design. It works but due to the cramped space in the hole, and it's close proximity to the upper flipper, it takes quite a beating and often rewards even the best shot with a maddening bounce out.

I have come across a solution that seems to work very well, although your mileage may vary To do this fix you need to be reasonably good with hand tools and it would help greatly if you own a bench vise. What we want to do is raise the bend in the backstop about 1/4 inch. This will effectively guide the ball into the hole much better. Over time the backstop gets hammered nearly vertical so we want to get it re-bent back down where it belongs too. First you need to remove the vuk assembly by unplugging the wires going to it from underneath and removing the 4 screws holding it to the playfield.

Now that the vuk is out you need to remove the blue rubber pad. Use a jewelers screwdriver to work the retaining button through the hole. Next, use a straight edge or combo square and sharpie to mark a line 1/4 inch above the existing bend in the backstop. Use your vice to slowly straighten the existing bend, clamp in vice along the newly marked bend line and hammer the top part so that it looks like it did when it was bent. a 45 degree bend is about right. Now you'll have to cut a section straight across the bottom of the blue pad. This is because of the higher bend line we just made. Take off a slice just enough for the rubber to sit at that bend line. Install into the backstop hole. You may wish to drop the smallest drop of super glue or contact cement behind the pad to keep it from spinning. Reinstall into game, hook up the connectors and enjoy fewer bounce outs!"

IMG_2785 (resized).jpegIMG_2785 (resized).jpegIMG_2786 (resized).jpegIMG_2786 (resized).jpegIMG_2787 (resized).jpegIMG_2787 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1389 2 years ago

Unfortunate to hear that Bobby Unser passed away yesterday. The call outs that Bobby provided for this game are great, another reason why I have had this machine for years and will continue to play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knobstone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome?tu=knobstone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.