(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,737 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by amxfc3s
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UNCgump.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1187 3 years ago

Just acquired this game and I hate the cliffy on the lock shot. Other approaches that might preserve game play while also preserving the playfield?

Other recs on must-have or other cool mods?

#1189 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

screw that cliffy. kills game play in my opinion. Trantrum has some cool Indy mods

For home use, how wrecked is that shot going to get anyway?

Tempted to get these blades
indianapolis-500-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades-700x447 (resized).jpgindianapolis-500-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades-700x447 (resized).jpg

#1190 3 years ago

JFC I just checked it out and it appears that I have to disassemble the left ramp, plastics and more to remove the goddamn cliffy. This is an otherwise beautiful version of the machine. Ugh.

#1191 3 years ago

Are people 100% sure that super light ups and points from change set up do absolutely nothing? I'm tempted to go deep on some glass off testing. Has Nordman or anyone else involved with the game ever commented on the rules?

#1193 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The art on those blades was created by someone that has never been to or watched the race.... they are backwards for the Indy 500.

I love the game but don't much care about the race itself. So they just look cool to me!

#1196 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Through a suggestion in this forum, I put a one-way gate on the turbo hole. Works great.

That's a great idea and I think I'll definitely take this route. From the couple of photos I found I can't quite tell how this was installed, namely where it attaches.over by the plastics under the left ramp. Attachment to the post by the right side of the lock entrance is obvious enough.

Can the same gate be used for the saucer shot straight up the middle?

#1199 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The art on those blades was created by someone that has never been to or watched the race.... they are backwards for the Indy 500.

Also there is no way to replicate the real track views and to incorporate the iconic central tower (whatever it is called) on side blades in a way that would make geographic sense if one considers the art as being a track on the periphery of the playfield. That said, they could've just done it with the realistic vistas employed.

#1202 3 years ago

How do you guys usually set up your extra ball options? After playing more, I'm inclined to limit the EB from change set-up to one or zero (or if I have the options wrong, total EB's to 3). EB via speedway mode and right ramp is easy, as is at least one from change set-up. More than 3 EB's per game feels like too much. Changing the change set-up would also make me more inclined to pick laps or passes from there in pursuit of victory laps.

#1205 3 years ago

Djshakes or RobbyIRL5 could you describe and/post pics of how you installed the gate at the turbo lock shot? I'm struggling to figure out how best to mount it on the left side. The one up to by the center shot is obvious enough (although of course the game I just received is missing a screw on the right...)

#1212 3 years ago

The gate on the lock shot is a must! Especially if the cliffy is in place. Totally improved game play. I couldn't install one on the center shot so will try a foam pad to soften the bounce as someone else on here has done.

#1213 3 years ago

Also, this game needs a Pagoda topper!

#1224 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Whew! I thought it was just me choking... I drain a lot during “go for the pole”, too. Even though some of these modes aren’t the “big points”, I still try to complete them. Such a fun game!!

I find the ramp easier to loop, but hitting that narrow gasoline alley shot off a hot feed to the flipper is just tough! And the time on that mode defaults to pretty short. I can play the shit out of this game but that's one mode I've considered making easier by adding time.

3 weeks later
#1242 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

The gate on the lock shot is a must! Especially if the cliffy is in place. Totally improved game play. I couldn't install one on the center shot so will try a foam pad to soften the bounce as someone else on here has done.

The foam padding made bounce outs from the center shot worse, and then I tried to add a gate like I did at the turbo lock, and it wasn't low enough to block the rebound. Are there lower hanging gates that are available?

#1243 3 years ago

I wish the spanners shots had been part of another victory lap or multiball or something worth chasing. Collecting them seems random with the rules as they are. And I know that building to points is similarly random on "hit the wall" but at least that might get strategic since you can collect it while landing a mode start shot on the right orbit.

1 week later
#1256 3 years ago

So do you guys just accept that the light up targets seem to break easily? Is there a preferred replacement or mod that seems most durable?

3 weeks later
#1270 3 years ago

So I got the adapters to repair a broken light up opto interrupter and then I noticed that the one in need of repair is the only one with guides in place (see right) and the opto interrupter piece gets stuck between them because it's too thick. Looks like the guides were removed in the other light ups. What's the best approach here? All options seem like a pain in the ass.

IMG_20201107_142916994 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_142916994 (resized).jpg

#1273 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

The piece that fixes it should fit between the guides. I found a 3D printing file and ordered several of them (from an online 3D printing service) and they fit through the guides. That piece (the guides and opto, can’t really remember exactly what they look like now) can come off, but they are riveted so you have to drill out the rivet. I replaced the rivets with a small nut/bolt when I moved my guide over to a new PCB. If the others work without the guides I think the easiest option would be to just take out the guides, or find better 3D printed “fixes” that fit.
The whole dealing with the target PCB’s is without a doubt a pain in the ass. Rivets, springs, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I got the pieces for sale on here and they're definitely too thick. I may just file them down to a thinner width, as the "least invasive" option. Or I might saw off the guide posts so I don't have to to deal with the rivets.

I love this game so much, but I can see why Bally never again employed these targets!

#1276 3 years ago
Quoted from caylegeorge:

Re: Broken Light-up targets -
You can actually fix them for 5 cents worth of electrical tape. Mine broke off over 10 years ago - Just made some little black fingers out of electrical tape, taped em on, and they've been good for thousands of games. Still going strong.

Holy shit that's amazing! Will try! Thanks!

#1277 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Drilling out the rivets is really easy. Scared me at first. But I’d just get pieces that fit, leave the guides in.
Do the others register fine without the guides?

Yes, they register fine as far as I can tell on playing and testing.

2 weeks later
#1287 3 years ago

Having now "installed" and tested with gameplay, I can vouch for the light up targets repair caylegeorge recommended. Just fold a piece of electrical tape halfway down (to mimic the opto interrupter) and then cut the remaining tape down the middle so you can twist half of each side to stick to the right and left sides of the front and back of the target. Works beautifully!

2 weeks later
#1290 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

May be looking to pick up this game. What should I be looking for with this title ?

I'd add wear at the saucer for the long center shot. Can lead to a lot of frustrating bounce outs SDTM. I rebuilt mine with putty and some foam padding, but you may also be able to install a gate in front of it.

#1292 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can you post a pic?

This is admittedly sloppy but it worked. I used a wood epoxy putty to build up the saucer. Haven't sanded it to clean it up. Would pick a different style of epoxy if I had it to do again. I still got some bounce outs so I added the little piece of green foam you see, which worked to soften the shot. I'd say less than 5% of center shots bounce out now (had been probably over 50% prior to adjustments). Could definitely do a prettier job but for now I just want the game to play right. Also, see above for the easy electrical tape fix to the light up target breakage issue. Still working beautifully!
IMG_20201213_120724431 (resized).jpgIMG_20201213_120724431 (resized).jpgIMG_20201213_120738560 (resized).jpgIMG_20201213_120738560 (resized).jpg

#1300 3 years ago

Does anyone have a clear understanding of what relights "pass" on the left and "start race" in the middle? I haven't been able to sort out the logic.

#1303 3 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

No.
Pass will always be lit when Light Lock is not lit. So, it's lit when a lock is ready at the Turbo.
Start Race is lit at the beginning of a ball (by default) and by completing the top lanes.

Ok, I'd strongly suspected the first and lightly suspected the 2nd. Thanks!

The secret race modes are also great for advancing position if you can get lucky or nudge your way to a lot of action in the pops!

2 weeks later
#1304 3 years ago

Was a couple of modes and 5 laps (for 400) shy of my fourth and fifth victory laps and left a damn EB on the table.

I love this game more and more as I dive deeper into it. There are so many subtle points of strategy. Leaves me able to ignore some of the holes in the code.

IMG_20210103_191814008 (resized).jpgIMG_20210103_191814008 (resized).jpg
#1308 3 years ago

Triple scoring doesn't apply to dueling drivers or to video mode. Applies to laps but not passes, I believe (not necessarily a bug, but passes are super hard to get to video lap unless you nail gasoline alley mode). I did once do a quick stack of 3x with wrong turn mode into multiball and it was nuts. Not sure if 3x applies to cashing in the spanner targets. Not a bug, but I do wish they'd made the spanner targets more a part of the game, i.e. something to go after as a mode or something, rather than what ultimately amounts to incidental points for keeping the ball alive
All souvenirs reward only 5 mil. Super light-ups apparently does nothing (which is a shame since they're otherwise not part of the game other than unto themselves toward the victory lap).

As a scoring note, I love if I can cradle one ball on the left and pound left ramp into lock all day. Gets up to 90 mil per lock shot and you really blow up a score since you're in total control with essentially single ball and single flipper play.

3 weeks later
#1310 3 years ago

My rear-most light up (top left playfield) autofires at will and I have no idea why. The opto physics look fine. Recs in where to start troubleshooting? It's driving me nuts both with sound and scoring derangement, especially since I've gotten so much better at the game and actually play the light ups strategically!

#1315 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarson:

Joined the club!
Light ups have been hacked to just be stand ups. Will be restoring those.[quoted image]

I love this game so much. The light ups aren't so bad, and they convey information about shots remaining.

1 month later
#1343 3 years ago

Or you can just put in a gate...much easier and just as effective.

2 weeks later
#1360 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Some folks here might not understand where your game has an issue.
The proper name for that part is the "turbo-bobby." It'll be clear after a few repeated plays.

HAHAHA!

Quoted from DNO:

Mine was doing exactly this, the opto in the turbo isn’t working.
Needs to be torn down quite a bit to get to the bottom opto.

Yucky teardown

1 month later
#1401 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Reading some old posts here... Does a cliffy on the turbo scoop cause a lot of bouce outs?

I think the gate is totally the way to go. Super easy to install. The bounce outs aren't due to bad shots, really, since they're rare without the cliffy. To me, the gate seemed easier than messing with the angle of the backstop (i.e. bending metal).

#1403 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can someone post a parts listing for the gate ?

You should decide how you want yours to be installed (I've seen different set ups on here), measure, and pick something suitable from Marco. Not sure there's a standard ideal since it wasn't designed for a gate.

#1425 2 years ago

Yeah where'd you get them? This game needs better art blades than what's out there.

#1436 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Anyone have any issues with the top center gate? At times it seems it just rattles / appears loose and won't hold the ball.

Does your game have a gate between the flippers and the saucer? Or are you referring to the one between the saucer and the PIT lanes?

#1446 2 years ago

Unless I'm mistaken, the gate in front of the saucer is not factory installed, so as an add on, this sort of thing tends to require custom tweaking.

#1449 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

The gate is factory. Part of the problem upon further inspection is on a hard shot to the saucer, the ball would rattle off the ball guide behind it and sent it to the pops instead. Adding the foam reduced the impact and kept the ball where it's supposed to go.

Totally makes sense. Mine's definitely missing that. Something to fix!

1 week later
#1454 2 years ago

They are definitely an odd element of the game. Zero relationship to theme. And it's notable that the hardware elements were never used again..

#1458 2 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Classic Nordman though. He routinely put new mechanical features in his games. Sometimes they were reused, sometimes not. These obviously not. Probably due to both cost and reliability.

I actually like them (apart from breakage). I just wish they were better integrated via sound, DMD, or playfield art.

#1464 2 years ago

I find that especially if you've racked up INDY insane souvenirs, the pit stop multiball (which is fairly low scoring) is a good time to deliberately try to pick off and advance the light up target waves, especially of course if you can get a ball cradled on each flipper.

1 week later
#1471 2 years ago

Is it typical for the lock to sometimes get confused on ball count during multiball? This seems to happen on random occasions. Also happened today when I had turbo boost multiball mode going, then regular multiball started and the first turbo shot was an immediate super jackpot. Everything felt so out of whack. Are you supposed to be able to stack turbo boost into the regular multiball? Vaguely related, but the game requires 4 balls - what are the scenarios when all four are in play?

3 weeks later
#1475 2 years ago

I still can't believe it took me years to unlearn the myth that the super light ups mode does nothing. A little more info on the DMD would have gone a long way.

#1478 2 years ago

For the duration of the mode it takes only one shot to clear a light up target. Probably most useful if stacked into a multiball (aim or flail, your choice) or if you're close to finishing all the waves (souvenirs don't help with easing all waves).

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Are you approaching this from a "finish" the game standpoint or some other play-style?

I do try to get all the victory laps. And pit stop is a good time to shoot light ups. Could also argue for shooting them in regular multiball as well, esp when ball save is active, if you're getting close to finishing them. Finishing wave 5 (I think) also lights extra ball.

1 month later
#1487 2 years ago

Has anyone ever done a good topper for this game? I've thought about doing something with Indy Car toys of some kind.

#1496 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

[quoted image]

Where'd you get those art blades?

1 week later
#1504 2 years ago

I'd never install the cliffy to begin with

#1506 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Yeah I've read other people saying the same thing. It does however look much better than the enterance getting chewed up. Hope to get the vuk tweeked right to be able to keep the cliffy on.

What I should have said is

Do you have a gate installed? Mine had the cliffy when I bought it. Bounce outs all the time. Didn't want the work of removing it or messing with the backstop. Installed a gate. Bounce outs are now extinct.

#1508 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

No i dont but it has come to mind. I just installed some foam along the side of the left side ball guide. I'll see how that goes.
Did you fabricate a gate ? how is it mounted? I've seen a post where holes were drilled in the ball guides . I'm hesisatant to do this in fear I'll screw it up!

I think I bought this from Marco Specialties. I just mounted it to the post, the other side is amply held in place by slight downward pressure so that it is sturdy and doesn't seem to slide on the plastic or seem to rotate on the post in either direction. I've played hundreds of games since doing this and it's worked beautifully.
IMG_20210928_222242839 (resized).jpgIMG_20210928_222242839 (resized).jpgIMG_20210928_222347256 (resized).jpgIMG_20210928_222347256 (resized).jpg

#1510 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Thanks for posting . Kinda surprised this works on such a angle .

It doesn't look quite right, but it covers as much of the ball path as you need to do the job, and the rebound force that would produce a bounce out is pretty low velocity. Others may have better approaches, but this was easy to install and it's lasted!

#1514 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

So I added a gate but the ball would get stuck on it from the rebound. I double checked your pic and I see you don't have the plastic there. Mine is present along with a protector . So my height is higher than yours. I'll have to continue to make something work.

I don't know what plastic I'm missing, but you may simply be able to find a different-size gate.

1 month later
#1532 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Are my flippers too low? I have them right above the holes in the playfield. They do seem low if I compare them to other games.[quoted image]

Doesn't obviously appear so. Really, it mostly depends on how it plays (dead bounce, shot angles, cradling).

1 week later
#1535 2 years ago
Quoted from Driz1847:

My newly acquired Indy 500.
I am looking for the wire gate assembly in front of the upper center saucer "Green Flag" shot. If anyone knows the part number or someone who might have one, please let me know.
[quoted image]

I'm starting to think some games came without that gate. Mine had no signs of one.

1 week later
#1541 2 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

My new Indianapolis 500 Topper... Exact replica of the artwork between the flippers on the playfield.
I purchased directly from the souvenir shop, at the Indy-500 raceway. My first and only time there, celebrating my Buddy's 50th Birthday. Us, 3 couples were there for the race years ago. I had purchased many misc. things there from the race... one of which was this 7-flag display, I thought would make neat topper.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Got mine yesterday. This really works well! Now I want to flank it with some scale model Indy cars.

#1544 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Ipdb says the game came out on June 6th, so they didn't know JV had won when it was designed. So even though that player's livery is cool, one could make the argument a replica beast would be just as cool.

So Al Unser Jr. maybe makes more sense to use. Could also do something using the different styles of car from years past (a la match sequence)

1 week later
#1546 2 years ago

Anybody got a good mod for the launch button? Seems ripe for a wheel or steering wheel or the like. The stock green "serve ball" is so lame.

#1548 2 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

I’d buy one!

I suspect you could do a few basic options cheaply, maybe even one in 3D.
But then again I have no experience with that other than extrapolating from general mods I've seen on other machines. But does a close parellel exist on another machine that also has a launch button instead of a plunger?

1 week later
#1549 2 years ago

I continue to have trouble with the rear most lite up target registering hits with mere nudges of the game (and sometimes apparently at rest during gameplay). I can see no physical problem with the target structures or connections. Anyone have any idea what the hell this could be caused by? It's the only bothersome problem with my game, and I actually like to play the targets!

IMG_20220107_133932327 (resized).jpgIMG_20220107_133932327 (resized).jpg
#1552 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Is that an original board?
Does reseating the connector on the board make it work better for a while?
Try reflowing the solder connections on the opto on the board.
If that doesn't work, I would replace the opto.
The opto block has 2 component, a transmitter (an IR LED) and a receiver (one on either end of the opto). If the circuit board joint to either of those devices develop a cold solder joint or a break develops inside the housing, they can get flaky like this.

Will reevaluate later this week. Thanks to all!

1 month later
#1555 2 years ago
Quoted from Driz1847:

I am still having trouble locating the "One Way Gate" part # A-20524 that prevents rejects to the center "Green Flag" shot. If anyone has any leads please let me know.
[quoted image]

Looking for the same, or at least a passable stand-in

7 months later
#1637 1 year ago

Has anyone here put or seen Pinstadium lighting in this? Worth it?

#1640 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Yes, and I think they are great, I put on all of my machines. I’m not sure if they’re any better on this machine than the others, but huge game changer for me in being able to see the ball better. It’s a cool playfield too, may as well see it lit up!

Quoted from Apex:

If you like pinstadiums in games, there is nothing on I500 that I could think of as to why it it would be any different.

Cool, thanks for the input. I've never had them on a game and am unsure I've ever seen them on any of the location games I play. Just trying to figure out if the $300+ is worth it. It does seem clear that the community here generally loves them.

#1642 1 year ago

What's about the most you guys have ever put up on a Turbo boost multiball? Just put up about 700M. Crazy that if you can cradle up on the left, you can just hammer ramp-scoop all day with the right flippers, all while building the jackpot on the main multiball to the max. You can really blow up a game if you get this early.

1 month later
#1663 1 year ago
Quoted from Duster72:

I wanted some artblades and possibly an alternate translite for this game. I don't love what's out there so I was going to hire somebody but decided to see if the original artists would be interested. Luckily I was able to get in touch with Dan Hughes and he's interested, but his price might be too much for me to pay individually. I don't really want to order a quantity of these to sell in the marketplace. If anyone would like to pitch in to help cover the artists fees we could share the artwork and maybe get a bulk discount on getting them printed. If anyone else is interested please shoot me a PM and LMK how much you might be willing to pitch in towards the project. Thanks!

I like the translite but would be curious about an alternative. I have seen what little there is for art blades out there and would be interested in something new. Curious to hear more. Open to supporting this.

6 months later
#1706 10 months ago

Check out this classic promo video:

My turbo multiball super jackpot doesn't give me four balls. Am I missing a ball or is it a buggy code issue, something else? I don't remember games I played on local giving four balls either. I also never knew that "hit the wall" effectively awards a pass by knocking another car out of the race, if I understand this hype video correctly.

#1707 10 months ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Check out this classic promo video:

My turbo multiball super jackpot doesn't give me four balls. Am I missing a ball or is it a buggy code issue, something else? I don't remember games I played on local giving four balls either. I also never knew that "hit the wall" effectively awards a pass by knocking another car out of the race, if I understand this hype video correctly.

Seems it's the SECOND super jackpot that gives you a fourth ball.

1 month later
#1711 8 months ago

Has anyone yet found or compiled a complete, accurate accounting of the rules for this game? The one on pinball.org seems incomplete. The one I found on a virtual pinball forum (which extracted rules from the pinball arcade software) does not reflect the way the real game scores. I did recently confirm through game play that collecting Hit the Wall awards a pass!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 17.50
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UNCgump.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome?tu=UNCgump and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.