(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,733 posts
  • 227 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by mollyspub
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
IMG_9121 (resized).jpg
IMG_9113 (resized).jpg
IMG_9115 (resized).jpg
IMG_9116 (resized).jpg
IMG_9112 (resized).jpg
IMG_9109 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#920 4 years ago

I'm working on some custom mods for a Nascar owner who wanted a couple of the icons from the Indianapolis Speedway (the tower and the pagoda). Got me wondering if any Indy 500 owners might be interested. I'm still working on the pagoda, but here is my rendition of the tower. The stats on it are from the 2019 Indy 500 race (200 is the final lap, 226 was the fastest lap, and the 33 positions were the final race outcome). The tower is 4.5" tall, so wasn't sure 1) if anyone would even be interested, and 2) if that size would fit at an appropriate place on the playfield. Plan is to use clear mounting tape for base, but I could print with a solid platform at the bottom if that would make it more secure.

I haven't set a price yet, as I need to see what I can come up with for the pagoda first. Anyway, thought I would get thoughts from Indy 500 owners.

0fd08c95eec0151fd60c4aa196b0f03ac749aca1.jpg0fd08c95eec0151fd60c4aa196b0f03ac749aca1.jpg Added over 5 years ago:

Well, I finished the pagoda, but it is far too much effort for me to want to offer them for sale (over 30 pieces, 2 days of printing, over an hour of assembly, etc.) However, I will make the tower available for $25, including US shipping, and I will even custom the race results for a given year's race if you prefer (one shown is 2019).

If interested please PM me, and we'll work out all the details.

10 months later
#1025 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Wondering about a couple mods I heard about but can’t find if they were ever for sale. One was the pole position mod ( the pole that displays the standings). The other was the brick mod for the racetrack looked pretty cool. Thanks.

As far as the scoring pylon goes, that is mine. I just added it to the Pinside Market for anyone who is interested in order: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95603

BTW, these are pics of the prototype, and the final version is exactly the same except the base will be an off white to better reflect aged concrete.

A big "shout out" goes to Blitzburgh99 as he was the one who tested my prototypes and provided some great feedback on perfecting the mod (picture of installed pylon is from his pin).

Tower2 (resized).jpgTower2 (resized).jpgTower (resized).jpgTower (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1043 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Just need to find that racetrack mod.

Can you post a link that shows a pic of what it is you are looking for (I assume this is a mod somebody has done in the past). If nobody is offering it, it might be something I could replicate.

#1044 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

May 12, 1996 - it's a neeeeewwww track record!

That's awesome at 237MPH. I live just a few miles from Texas Motor Speedway, and have been to both Nascar and Indy events there. I'm not a racing fan at all, but I have to say the Indy race was awesome as a live event. I loved everything about it. The biggest thing that surprised me is just how fast the cars are. I sat about 10 rows up near the start/finish line, and it literally took about 20 laps for my eyes to adjust to the speed where I could actually read the numbers on the cars as they passed by.

Needs to be on everyone's bucket list, as I encourage everyone to attend an Indy race at least once in their life.

#1048 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Sure. It was posted in this thread on page 9. Here the mod that user created. It would be awesome if it could be recreated. Much better than what is there. Thanks!
[quoted image]

And a close-up pic of the original please.

#1050 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Sure. Here is the original. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Wow, what a difference. So, is that just a decal? If so, what is the diameter, and how large does the center hole? Is it stationary and the car spins around it? My idea would be similar, but with a small twist.

Just looked at the original post, I guess he never offered them for sale to others?

#1052 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I would absolutely buy one of these if it’s offered for sale

If it is just a decal, then I can definitely make it. I just need to know the overall diameter and the diameter of the hole in the center. Also, can it be a single circular piece (I assume the center hub and car can be removed to install it)?

#1055 3 years ago

Just so we are clear, I'm wouldn't copy the one shown. My idea would obviously have asphalt in the center, probably a white line on the inside with some green grass in the center, I might try to create a 3D effect for the outside wall, and of course I would have a strip of red bricks with a white line to designate the start/finish line.

I just need someone to please let me know if it is just a decal or if there is some other structure that is a part of it that would need to be replaced. If decal, what the outside diameter is along with the diameter if the center hole.

#1057 3 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

A decal would work fine. The arm holding the car is screwed onto a center post which spins the car above the surface. The full diameter of the track is just under 8 inches, but if you were just going for the white line, its closer to 7.5". The center post that the arm clamps onto is about a quarter inch. See pics.
The yard of bricks would be a must!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the measurements and pics. The decal would be the full size of the disk, which appears to be 7-3/4" from your tape. Looks like a 3/8" hole in the center would work well. Now my challenge is figuring out how to best mail/ship them. Will need to do that before I set a price.

#1059 3 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Here is one more that shows the edge to edge diameter a bit more clearly.
[quoted image]

I'm still thinking 7-3/4" would be idea so as not to overhang. If centered it would expose just 1/16" at most around the perimeter.

#1060 3 years ago

Thought I would share my progress thus far and open things up to feedback as I get to a final version. Just be aware that I'm not going to please everyone, and I may or may not implement your suggestion(s).

RaceTrack.pngRaceTrack.png
#1061 3 years ago

Thus far, I'm using a real asphalt image for the pavement, the bricks are from a photo of the actual finish line at Indy, and the grass is from a real grass photo. I'm still working out how to best represent the wall (will probably do a darker color inside separated by a really thin line and maybe cast a shadow onto the track).

#1065 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I’d buy this in a heartbeat. Very cool much better than the road course rumple strips.

Making a few tweaks today, and will post later. I think the asphalt needs to be a little lighter and the outer wall a little thinner.

So, if I were to set the price at $40 including US shipping, how many would be interested? I'd like to have a minimum of 5 orders to make it worth my time.

#1067 3 years ago

Here is what I believe to be the final version unless someone has something constructive to add.

Price will be $40 shipped to US (international on per quote basis). As stated, I would like to have a minimum of 5 commitments before I proceed (no money to be exchanged until I'm ready to process orders).

At this point, I have 1 confirmation:
- woody76

RaceTrack.pngRaceTrack.png

#1069 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

looks way better than that other one. Do you happen to make the checkered backboard decal for indy500? I will also take one of those scoring pylons when I order this decal as well.

I've not seen the checkered backboard you are referring to. Can you post a pic so I can determine if something I can produce or not (assuming someone else isn't already offering it)?

#1076 3 years ago

Looks like I'm up to 3 commitments on the road decal
1 - woody76
2 - plovis
3 - Gryszzz

#1077 3 years ago

So, here is the link to the homemakde checkered flag backboard: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/5#post-1427106

I thought I would do some Google searching, and found this: https://treasurecovepinball.com/Library/decals/indy-500/indy-500.htm

If Treasure Cove is still selling them, then I would be out on creating a reproduction.

#1079 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hey. Fuck you and your mods fuckpants.

Whoa, where did that come from? Since you mentioned you weren't sure what it took to do the mod, all I meant that if somebody could document how its done then you may or may not decide to buy one depending upon what was involved based on your post. Was not intended to slight you in the least bit at all. Personally, I have no idea how its done.

Going back just now and reading your post, I obviously misread what you were saying. I took it as meaning depending upon how easily the racetrack was disassembled since you mentioned you were not a mod guy. Having read it again, I believe you were saying two different things: 1) you generally don't like mods, but you are okay with these two I've done, and 2) your not wandering how easy it is to install, rather, how easy it would be to remove.

Sorry, but you must know that it was a completely innocent mistake on my part, and I apologize for that.

#1082 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well, then I apologize. I thought you were making a condescending joke towards me. It wouldn't be totally untrue, but we don't know each other. I guess I totally took that the wrong way. Sorry man. Looks like I'm Mr. Tantrum tonight.

I was just editing my last response. All my fault for quickly reading your post and misinterpreting what you were saying. No hard feelings on my side.

Back to the racetrack decal, are you still interested?

#1084 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I just want to know if I have to completely adhere that to the race track. As in, is it permanent? I don't ever plan on selling mine, but we all know how that goes. And how some anal buyers don't want mods of any sort on a machine.
That's all I was wondering.

So, I make the decals out of adhesive vinyl. While they adhere extremely well, they are not permanent. I've made literally hundreds of decals for a multitude of games and different applications using the same materials. Basically, I print directly on the vinyl with a 6 color photo quality printer using OEM inks (no cheap stuff), then cover the decal with a clear gloss adhesive vinyl, then cut to shape. I typically apply the decals to the bare surface, but I've also applied them on top of others (as in the case of a backboard) and the adherence is still very good. The decals should be easily removable, especially if a little heat is applied to loosen up the adhesive.

When applying, you should first clean the surface with alcohol to ensure best adhesion. Then, test fit the decal, then apply in a progressive motion by rolling the decal on to eliminate any possible bubbles forming. For larger decals such as this, I typically use a small squeegee/plastic card to gently press across the entire surface as I'm rolling on the decal.

#1085 3 years ago

BTW, I hope that nobody feels like they need to downvote any of the posts from me or Gryszzz. I made a mistake and he responded. Talked it out like big boys, and we're both good now.

#1092 3 years ago

Okay, I think there is enough interest. I’m backed up on projects right now, but I’ll try to get a test decal made tomorrow so I can post pics of the real thing. As far as shipping goes, the two items aren’t really paired well since I will need to keep the large decal flat, so there is really no savings there. If you will PM me, allsportdvd, I can provide a quote to you for Australia shipping. Seems like Aussies enjoy their pinball as I’m shipping stuff there all of the time.

As far as discounts go, I don’t usually offer much since I make everything by hand and it takes much more of my time than what I sell stuff for. Most stuff I make because people ask me to, and if I think others would like it then I offer them in the owners thread (well, I do have a few one-offs that I never openly sell). Anyway, I’m feeling a little generous, so what I will offer is $5 off to anyone who purchases both mods, and if you’ve already bought a pylon from me I will extend the same discount to you on the track decal. I know it’s not much, but it’s what I can do. That puts pricing at $25 for the pylon, $40 for the decal ($35 if you’ve already bought the pylon from me), or $60 for both.

Please don’t PM me yet for orders, as I always like to make sure I can deliver on a new mod before I take any money. This is the biggest circle design I’ve made. My cutting tool should work, but I just need to test it. I’ll post back tomorrow, and we’ll take things from there.

#1095 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

That’s awesome would love that too. Out of curiosity, any idea what year that pylon running order was from?

The default pylon displays the logo and final results from the 1995 race, which is the year the Indy 500 pin was released. However, if for some reason you just really must have a different year then I would consider a one-off (plovis was 2014). While it's a pain to make one-off decals, I realize that some have an emotional attachment to a certain year (the one time they went, a special trip with their dad or son, etc.)

https://www.racing-reference.info/race/1995_Indianapolis_500/UO

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1096 3 years ago

Did a test with plain paper, and my circle cutter is going to do a great job as long as I align it correctly. Unfortunately, I have to cut the center by hand, so it may not be perfect, although I do have a circle guide I will use when I do the real decals. More to come later.

IMG_3938 (resized).JPGIMG_3938 (resized).JPG
#1099 3 years ago

Here is the first completed decal, and I think it came out great. Thank you everyone for the idea and input.

After thinking about it, the last thing I would want is to make and send out several of these only to find out the size or fit isn't quite right. Therefore, I've asked an owner to be the first one to test for me and provide feedback. This means that if things go well, by mid-next week everything should be tested, any adjustments made if needed, and I should have pics of the decal installed.

Sorry for the delay as I know many are waiting, but better to get it right the first time than to send a bunch out only to disappoint all of the buyers (not to mention the effort and cost on my side to correct for everyone).

BTW, I also just ordered a set of hole punches so that I can punch a cleaner center hole instead of cutting them by hand.

IMG_3939.JPGIMG_3939.JPG
#1102 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Those 90s CART cars had the most incredible sound, captured and archived perfectly by the DCS sound on the game!

I recall they had to put restrictors on those cars at TMS, because the speeds were so fast the drivers were pulling too many G’s and getting tunnel vision.

#1105 3 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

There were no restrictors on the cars. if I remember correctly they were pulling almost 4 g's over 80% of the lap. That ended up causing the drivers to experience the early stages of a grey out. They ended up cancelling the race.
The restrictor you may have been thinking of was an aerodynamic device put on the wing to cause excess drag. The byproduct of that was that it created a huge draft and ended up letting the trailing car just scream be the leading car. Those draft battles were pretty fun to watch.

Thanks for the clarification. I just remember them saying it was unsafe to race at the speeds they were achieving on the track. I remember thinking, why don’t they just control their speed, but I guess that’s not how a racer thinks in the heat of competition.

#1109 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Indy Racing League raced at TMS, Champ Car cancelled I believe due to driver vertigo or something like that. In IRL, we were doing around 220mph, I think the champ cars were a bit faster.

You are right. After doing some reading, in 2001 there was a 600 mile CART race scheduled at TMS. TMS has banks of 24 degrees (only 8 degrees at the lower levels) vs. 9 degrees at IMS. As a side note, I've actually been able to ride my bike around the track on two different occasions during cycling rallies, and all I can say is wow! Anyway, they did some testing and achieved an avg. lap speed 225 mph, so they decided to proceed. Then, during practice on the first day, all the top cars were averaging track speeds above 230 mph with the top car at 233.8 MPH. To make matters worse, on the second day all of the top cars were above 235 mph with the leader at 236.7 mph. They moved on to qualifying with the 17 top speeds above 230 mph.

After qualifying the drivers were complaining about lack of peripheral vision, poor reaction time, disorientation, and vertigo symptoms. CART determined they needed to lower the speeds to under 225 mph to be safe enough to race. They made some efforts to adjust the cars, but just couldn't figure out a way to make it happen in such a short time. The race was cancelled, lawsuits ensued, and CART declared bankruptcy in 2003 then sold to Champ Car which was eventually rolled into IRL.

#1116 3 years ago

So, mount it on top of the backbox? Awesome!

However, you would have to figure out a way to vent the exhaust.

#1117 3 years ago

Update for those interested in my custom race track decal. According to USPS it should have been delivered this past Wednesday to the owner helping me test fit it. However, as of this morning tracking still does not give an accurate ETA. Just wanted to let everyone know that the project is still active, but we are at the mercy of USPS at this point.

As a reminder, pricing will be as follows:
- $25 for my IMS pylon with 1995 race results
- $40 for my custom race track decal ($35 if you’ve already bought the pylon from me)
- $60 if ordering both together (Must order both at the same time to be eligible for discount. $35 offer above only applies to those pylon buyers before I offered the race track decal)

All prices include US shipping. International shipping is available on a per quote basis.

RT.jpgRT.jpg

Added over 4 years ago:

6/3/20 USPS tracking showing item arrived in regional distribution center, so we have some movement. Sorry everyone, but under normal circumstances shipping should have only taken 4 days at the most.

#1119 3 years ago

Thought I'd make a few pylons in preparation for order to soon come once we get the road decal tested. I 3D print the towers (took a little over 8 hours for these 6) in two colors. I print the decals on vinyl then coat will a clear gloss vinyl and cut to size. After cutting I color all of the edges black so that no white shows when installed. I also make all of the little pieces that go into the recesses at the base of the tower. I tried painting first, but decals are much easier and cleaner.

IMG_4032 (resized).JPGIMG_4032 (resized).JPG

Decals applied

IMG_4033 (resized).JPGIMG_4033 (resized).JPG
#1122 3 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Okay, so I wanted to add a few more touches. I'm done now after mirror blades, custom targets with lights, pylon mod. I can't stand yellow targets. Also added a gate to turbo shot to avoid any rejections.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful work and great looking playfield. With all you've done, the circle track really stands out as something that definitely needs to be updated.

#1124 3 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I hear you, okay, you twisted my arm. I'll pm you for a decal.
I clearcoated the playfield BTW.

Funny, I was so enamored with your playfield that I didn't even notice it was you.

#1126 3 years ago

USPS is killing me on delivering the test track decal. Package is still in limbo with last note being a couple of days ago. If I don't see progress by tomorrow, then I'll be enlisting another interested person to work with me on test fitting the decal. I'll be looking for the person that is the closest to Texas, so maybe shipping won't be such an issue (I really didn't think shipping to Indiana would be such a problem - geez!).

#1128 3 years ago
Quoted from paragon07:

Ship 1 up here. Pony express still works in Denver. Be glad to test fit.

Funny, in that I order a lot of items from Comet Pinball in Colorado. Before Covid, I always received my packages within 3-4 days. Now sometimes it is taking 2 weeks, and 5-6 days at a minimum. Not sure why that is, but it is quite irritating.

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

USPS is killing me on delivering the test track decal. Package is still in limbo with last note being a couple of days ago. If I don't see progress by tomorrow, then I'll be enlisting another interested person to work with me on test fitting the decal. I'll be looking for the person that is the closest to Texas, so maybe shipping won't be such an issue (I really didn't think shipping to Indiana would be such a problem - geez!).

Well, looking at tracking, the package has finally hit Indianapolis. With any luck, we're probably looking at a Monday-Tuesday delivery and we can get on with this.

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Indy racing is BACK!
[quoted image]

I live less than 10 miles from TMS. Watched the race on TV, but was weird without fans. Also, for some reason the cars looked faster to me on TV in the empty stadium.

#1143 3 years ago

Well, my decal finally made it, but there is something terribly wrong. I was under the assumption that the track was a perfect circle with the hole in the center, but this is apparently not the case. Rather, the track is an ellipse. Therefore, my decal will need to be completely redesigned. However, I will need someone to please provide me relevant measurements and/or a scan of the current track.

Here is what I was not understanding. I guess the road decal is oblong, the spindle is off center, and the plate is not actually just a circle, but a rounded off square. In order to shape the decal correctly, at this point I'll need someone to do a trace of the current track decal including the spindle hole, the scan it and send to me (or mail me the piece of paper with the trace). It shouldn't take me much effort/time to create the new track from that point.

20200608_180507 (resized).jpg20200608_180507 (resized).jpg
#1148 3 years ago

Okay, here is the new decal design that should match the OEM decal in shape.

At this point, I have one user testing a template I provided, but I'd like one or two more owners to test the shape as well. If you are able to print a template, cut out, and test fit then please download and print the attached PDF. FYI, the arrow is pointing to the front of the decal. When printing, be sure you select "Actual Size" in the PDF print settings window.

FYI, I'd like to get this done today, so we can move forward with the decal as soon as possible.

BTW, to download the PDF correctly, click on the thumbnail to enlarge it, then click the "Download PDF Document" blue button at bottom left of window.

RaceTrack (resized).jpgRaceTrack (resized).jpg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

IndyTrack.pdfIndyTrack.pdf
#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, here is the new decal design that should match the OEM decal in shape.
At this point, I have one user testing a template I provided, but I'd like one or two more owners to test the shape as well. If you are able to print a template, cut out, and test fit then please download and print the attached PDF. FYI, the arrow is pointing to the front of the decal. When printing, be sure you select "Actual Size" in the PDF print settings window.
FYI, I'd like to get this done today, so we can move forward with the decal as soon as possible.
BTW, to download the PDF correctly, click on the thumbnail to enlarge it, then click the "Download PDF Document" blue button at bottom left of window.

Looks like I've finally got the correct shape now. A special thanks to plovis for working with me to get it right. He had to not only endure testing the original decal, but multiple templates, then providing photos and feedback to me.

Since I have to run off to work now, I'll work on the graphics, printing, and cutting the decal tonight or tomorrow. This new shape will be more difficult since I may have to do some/all of the cutting by hand. I'd prefer to use my circle cutter on the rounded parts, but it's going to take some experimentation. I don't own a Cricket or anything like that, but it might be time to purchase one if it would do things like this accurately. I'll have to look into it, if I cant figure out a way to make a nice clean cut of the shape.

More to come soon, and I hope the long testing process hasn't discouraged anyone from wanting to purchase this and the pylon.

20200611_083408 (resized).jpg20200611_083408 (resized).jpg

#1156 3 years ago

Okay, my design is done, but now I have one more issue to overcome. I test printed a track and tried to cut it using the tools I currently have. Unfortunately, due to the ellipsoid shape the only way I'm able to cut the decal is by hand with scissors. However, I'm not happy with my ability to create a professionally looking cut on such a large decal with scissors (there is always an issue when cutting large curves).

As a result, I just ordered a $300 cutting machine that will do the job. In the past, I've contemplated purchasing such a machine for all of the decals I produce, but just never was brought to the point where I thought I had to have it. With that said, I'm excited that I'll finally be able to produce the track decals with a clean professional look to them. The cutter is scheduled to arrive at my house on Tuesday. Obviously, I'll need a little time to experiment with it, but I see no reason why I won't be able to start producing decals mid-late next week.

Therefore, if you are interested in purchasing a decal and/or 3D pylon, please PM me and I'll reserve your order. I will not be taking payment until I'm ready to produce and ship the items, so there is no risk to you given the unknowns at this point. I produce and sell dozens of various decals for a multitude of games, so I'm confident that I'll be able to do this or I wouldn't be so public with my intentions.

As a reminder, pricing is as follows:
- $25 for my IMS pylon with 1995 race results
- $40 for my custom race track decal ($35 if you’ve already bought the pylon from me)
- $60 if ordering both together (Must order both at the same time to be eligible for discount. $35 offer above only applies to those pylon buyers before I offered the race track decal)

All prices include US shipping. International shipping is available on a per quote basis.

RaceTrack (resized).pngRaceTrack (resized).png

Added over 4 years ago:

Received my cutting tool today, and it is pretty awesome. I've been learning and doing testing, and from the looks of it I'll be ready to actually create my first track decal tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll post pics and then open up for ordering.

#1157 3 years ago

Just finished my first fully cut track decal and it came out great. The sides did get cutoff slightly, but that was my fault and easily corrected. Therefore, I'm ready to take orders for anyone who is interested (please see above post for pricing - Just PM me to order).

For those of you who have already PM'd me, I'll be sending emails out shortly regarding payment information.

Thanks to everyone for your help, patience, and interest in this mod.

IMG_4097 (resized).JPGIMG_4097 (resized).JPG
#1159 3 years ago

Good news for those who have ordered my updated track decal and/or pylon. I'm shipping everything today, and will be PM'ing everyone individually with shipping details when I have them.

#1161 3 years ago

Looks like plovis was the first to get his installed. Thanks for sharing the photo!

For those of you who purchased my custom track decal, I have a few suggestions on how to achieve the best results when installing (directions are precluded by proper disassembly of track mechanism, of course):

1 - Test position the decal first with the backing on making sure you are 100% clear on how the decal will be oriented/positioned (when looking down on the decal from above the pin from the players position, the start/finish line will be at the left/9 o'clock position).
2 - You may remove or keep in place the existing decal. First wash your hands with soapy water to remove any grease from them. Then, clean the entire surface with alcohol or some other grease removing non-residue cleaner and be sure the surface is 100% dry.
3 - Lightly apply the decal from the center point out. Do this by peeling back 1/2 of the backing and cutting it off with scissors. Position decal over center pin then "roll out" the decal from center to the edge. Doing this will minimize any air bubbles trapped between the graphic and the surface. If you have one, I highly recommend using a felt covered plastic squeegee or some other tool that will not scratch the surface of the decal.
4 - Lift the half of decal not applied, remove rest of backing, then roll second half of decal onto surface.
5 - If any major bubbles exist, you may want to peel the decal back to that position to release the air and apply again.
6 - Once you are happy with your application you will want to apply firm pressure across the full surface of the decal working from the center outward.
7 - If any small air bubbles remain that are visible and/or will bother you, I recommend using a very small hypodermic needle to poke through the decal in order to release the air that is trapped, then applying firm pressure where the bubble was to secure the decal to the surface.

IndyTrack.jpgIndyTrack.jpgIndy500.gifIndy500.gif
#1172 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I put my scoring pylon above the two light up targets, as I thought that’s where I saw somebody install once before. This looks great though, I guess just personal preference? Or was it designed to go next to the turbo VUK?

I've seen it placed in two different locations as mentioned/show here before, but the right answer is wherever you want to put it. My original design was on an Indy 500 NASCAR pin tribute (i.e. putting IMS features/mods on a NASCAR pin). I may have mentioned it before, but that was for an owner who had fond memories of going to watch NASCAR with his dad at IMS.

#1173 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I've beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why that track decal looks wrong and I finally figured it out. My seats are in the Northwest Vista and the start/finish line should be on the right!
The pictured orientation should make sense to someone that sits on the south side of the track!

Well, the decal is a symmetrical oval shape, so anyone is more than welcome to adhere it 180 degrees from how I show it. Just a matter of preferring to see the front or the back of the car as it crosses the line.

#1175 3 years ago

These are the 2 mounting positions I've seen for pylon placement.

1 (resized).jpeg1 (resized).jpeg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1178 3 years ago
Quoted from Mplemmon:

Does anyone know where I can find insert decals? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

For where?

1 month later
#1208 3 years ago

Can't remember if I shown this before, but awhile back I did some custom mods for a Nascar pin owner who had fond memories of him and his dad going to watch the Nascar races at IMS.

One of the mods was the pagoda (also where I came up with the scoring pylon mod I offer). You can also see custom Gasoline Alley at the back left.

pagoda (resized).jpgpagoda (resized).jpg20190725_184533 (resized).jpg20190725_184533 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome?tu=Mr_Tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.