(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 984 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Silverballer
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 274 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BCCFC17A-0FCA-4833-B9BD-8E4563324EB0 (resized).jpeg
681FBB47-2995-4784-B8CC-25BDEF0FCFD3 (resized).jpeg
2ECC7919-CC80-4097-A10A-E8830DD93851 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190314_124025 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190314_122604 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190314_124006 (resized).jpg
A1819E51-EAD5-4EDE-8A4E-4322722A7159 (resized).png
F597C309-EB1C-456D-A353-85610B272C53 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4553 (resized).JPG
IMG_4552 (resized).JPG
IMG_4551 (resized).JPG
IMG_4550 (resized).JPG
IMG_4549 (resized).JPG
4081843F-658A-4E9A-9BB4-B741C97BC1AA (resized).jpeg
4D25548D-4B5A-497E-9703-57A42F01A8A9 (resized).jpeg
71AAF5A9-22E9-459C-84A5-682482795D64 (resized).jpeg

There are 984 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 20.
#401 5 years ago

Not many mods out there for this game, is there? I introduced the TSPP Video TV at PAGG, and the Micro Display Mods on Pinside about a week ago. The checkered flag works well with I500, NASCAR, and Corvette. This one plays video of the 1995 Indy 500. Starts on power up and repeats video until power down.

I500 Page.jpg

#402 5 years ago

Yes, the turbo (and blades) are on the upper left of the PF and are where the ball lock is.

Quoted from Sparky:

Not many mods out there for this game, is there? I introduced the TSPP Video TV at PAGG, and the Micro Display Mods on Pinside about a week ago. The checkered flag works well with I500, Nascar, and Corvette. This one plays video of the 1995 Indy 500. Starts on power up and repeats video until power down.

I saw that mod, looks cool! True, not many mods for this game.

#403 5 years ago

Just making sure all the Indy 500 owners saw this from Rick at PPS regarding cabinet decals:

Quoted from PPS:

WCS and I500 are just about done ... we now have the original films/art from IPB, so this will help get these spot on.
rick

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-diner-and-black-rose-cabinet-decal-sets-now-available-pps#post-1841720

If someone notices that these become available, please post here.

#404 5 years ago

I500 cabinet decals.... FINALLY!

#405 5 years ago

Yes! That's very good news. Just picked up an i500. Very good condition except the faded cab. Seems to be good timing

#406 5 years ago

Yes, very pleased! And nice to have them as legit decals from the original films. Will be getting a set of these for sure.

2 weeks later
#407 5 years ago

I'm new to the Indy 500 club after picking up a nice one a few weeks ago. What a fun game!

#409 5 years ago

A few weeks ago, I set mine on Factory Extra Hard. The toughest thing about these settings in terms of scoring points is the 20-second mode timers. Short or nonexistent ball save time for multiball starts definitely makes getting settled into a multiball tough -- especially Turbo Boost MB. My game also has a relatively tight tilt. Or at least it's hard to get one or two warnings without going straight to TILT -- no BSD-like debounce time here.

A friend who's a really good player spent an afternoon chasing the GC, and came up with a ~1.8 billion score. I've been trying ever since to beat his score and finally put this up today.
0907141229a.jpg

Although I really dislike the short mode timers, I didn't want to change it back until I got the GC back. Which I did. So I'll see how the next hardest factory setting goes.

Anyone using Extra Hard who thinks I should just stay with it?

1 week later
#410 5 years ago

I think I posted in the wrong owners thread so here it goes again.

In the middle of shopping an i500 and in an attempt to fix the turbo VUK I got a cliffey, I popped a ball on but it doesn't look like its helped to centre the ball over the popper, can the popper be modded with a cup style one?
image.jpg

2 weeks later
#411 5 years ago

Just joined the club as of last night! Got one of the samples with the light blue playfield.
indy500.jpg

#412 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Just making sure all the Indy 500 owners saw this from Rick at PPS regarding cabinet decals:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-diner-and-black-rose-cabinet-decal-sets-now-available-pps#post-1841720
If someone notices that these become available, please post here.

Available now from PPS.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPA-I500-CABSETNG&Store_Code=PP

#413 5 years ago

Crap, now I have to do my first cabinet restore.... Thanks for posting this!

#415 5 years ago

Schwaggs, did you do a little dance when you found out ?
I did.

#416 5 years ago

Absolutely! I'm looking forward to a review from the first person to get a set.

1 week later
#417 5 years ago
Quoted from Spies:

I popped a ball on but it doesn't look like its helped to centre the ball over the popper, can the popper be modded with a cup style one?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/6

#418 5 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of what the turbo scoop backstop is supposed to look like after making the cliffy-suggested "bend"? I have tried using a round blue rubber on the backstop as well as bending the backstop, but the ball only stays in the lock about 1 in 7 shots (with and without the blue rubber)...which makes me want to walk away from the game half the time. I checked the flipper coil for the upper right coil and it is the one the manual specifies should be there.

#419 5 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Does anyone have a picture of what the turbo scoop backstop is supposed to look like after making the cliffy-suggested "bend"? I have tried using a round blue rubber on the backstop as well as bending the backstop, but the ball only stays in the lock about 1 in 7 shots (with and without the blue rubber)...which makes me want to walk away from the game half the time. I checked the flipper coil for the upper right coil and it is the one the manual specifies should be there.

This is why I have not installed the Cliffy on the Turbo scoop. I get enough bounceouts without it on there.... Another trick I read to reduce bounceouts (I have not tried) is to install foam pads on the leading edge of the turbo hole cutout (the edge the cliffy is protecting). Thinking being the ball hits the backstop, and bounces against the front edge of the scoop hole and rattles out. The foam on the leading edge of the hole will slow the ball on the rebound, keeping it in the hole more often...

#420 5 years ago

The I500 I just sold was off route. The operator had screwed a 1/4" wood screw into the inside front edge of the playfield (the same location Schwaggs described above) at an angle. I had bounce outs only 5–10% of the time. Worked a treat.

I don't know if I could do this to my own game though!

#421 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

This is why I have not installed the Cliffy on the Turbo scoop. I get enough bounceouts without it on there.... Another trick I read to reduce bounceouts (I have not tried) is to install foam pads on the leading edge of the turbo hole cutout (the edge the cliffy is protecting). Thinking being the ball hits the backstop, and bounces against the front edge of the scoop hole and rattles out. The foam on the leading edge of the hole will slow the ball on the rebound, keeping it in the hole more often...

I have a piece of drop target foam at the front edge of the scoop and the results are just as bad. I put the foam there to center the ball in the scoop, which works great!...if the ball ever stays in the scoop long enough...haha

There has to be a solution that works consistently 90%+ of the time. A weaker coil for the upper right flipper possibly? Some sort of rubber for the backstop that absorbs most of the ball's energy? (blue rubber seems to hard) I LOVE this game, but those dang bounce outs drive me nuts.

#422 5 years ago

Maybe try removing the blue bumper pad and covering the metal frame with switch foam????

#423 5 years ago

I did the 1/4" bend of the bracket described on Cliffys website and it helps reduce the bounce outs. I would say now 4 out of 5 will stick in the hole.

image.jpg

Here is how I did it:

Take a protractor and measure the current angle of the bend

Draw a line 1/4" above the current bend line and remove the blue nub

Flatten it out in a vise

Re-bend it at the line to the same angle it was originally

Trim a little bit off of the blue nub and reinstall

Post edited by Tortelvis

#424 5 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

Take a protractor and measure the current angle of the bend

That's my issue. The backstop has already been bent before so I don't know what the original angle is. Does anyone have a picture of their backtop either before or after the bend was made?

#425 5 years ago

I'd expect that you'll want the maximum angle you can get without getting in the way of the ball being popped up into the turbo.

#426 5 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

That's my issue. The backstop has already been bent before so I don't know what the original angle is. Does anyone have a picture of their backtop either before or after the bend was made?

Slightly over 150 degrees. I have an extra nos one and it measures 152 exactly.

#427 5 years ago

Figured if I was ever going to be able to shake an Indy apple out of a tree that this is the place to do it

Looking for an Indianapolis 500 in Collector Quality Condition or Close to it

(Please PM Me)

* Playfield is most important to me and must be in perfect shape without the need for a cliffy to cover up wear. (Would love a cleared one, but not required)

* Cabinet must have original factory decals with little to no fade.
(Will consider re-decaled machines if it was restored by one of the Big 3/4 Restorers - pls don't ask who)

* Translite must be NOS and flawless.

* Damaged playfield plastics/ramps are not a deal breaker providing the replacement is available.

* Boards do not have to match but can't have any hacks/burn.

* Machine must be working 100%.

I'm located in New York so I'd prefer one located in the Northeast/East Coast but for the right machine would consider a road trip or shipping. I once made a one day trip to Ohio to pick up a machine.

Thanks!

1 month later
#428 4 years ago

Has anyone made waterslide decals for the inserts up the center? I specifically need "Victory Lap" and "Extra Ball" for a low-level restore I'm doing.

I call this my "dueling drivers" setup... (well, I would if the second one was setup).

Thanks!

IMG_1493.JPG
#429 4 years ago
Quoted from Pacer:

Has anyone made waterslide decals for the inserts up the center? I specifically need "Victory Lap" and "Extra Ball" for a low-level restore I'm doing.
I call this my "dueling drivers" setup... (well, I would if the second one was setup).
Thanks!

IMG_1493.JPG 44 KB

How was the teardown? I'm thinking about taking mine down over the holidays and doing some insert leveling.

#430 4 years ago

This one came to me torn down oddly enough. But I tore one down about 18 months ago. I don't recall anything too tricky.

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from Pacer:

This one came to me torn down oddly enough. But I tore one down about 18 months ago. I don't recall anything too tricky.

Thanks. Wasn't sure how tricky the turbo mech was. Other than that everything seems pretty sure straightforward.

#432 4 years ago

I'm in. Working on mine now!

#433 4 years ago

Here's something I just learned that a few of you might already know:

3x Playfield applies to Wrong Turn mode, even though WT points are collected in bonus. I just cashed in a 165 million WT bonus after building up to 1.5 million (x3) per switch hit.

3x is pretty weird in this game. It triples most lap values. E.g., left ramp is worth 6 laps during 3x. It triples the Super Jets award to 90 million. But it doesn't seem to triple the already broken Souvenir value on the left ramp. So you always get 5 million for the Souvenir regardless.

Other 3x Effects

Jackpots: Yes
Turbo Loop combos: Yes
Jackpot raising via either unlit scoop: No
Super Light-Ups: No. (Or maybe it does triple the zero value of this mode.)
Victory Lap: Yes
Video Mode: No (?)
Quick Pit: Yes (?)
Dueling Drivers: No (?)
Go For the Pole: No (?)
Quick Pit: Yes (?)
Gasoline Alley: No (?)
Secret Race Mode: ?

Anybody care to fill in some of these question marks?

1 week later
#434 4 years ago

What a game. Fast as hell and tougher than Iron Man.

I've had it less than a day and played it a LOT. Earned ever point! ( and no, there were no Buy-ins )

image-822.jpg
image-712.jpg

#435 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

What a game. Fast as hell and tougher than Iron Man.
I've had it less than a day and played it a LOT. Earned ever point! ( and no, there were no Buy-ins )

You the man!!!

image-822.jpg 209 KB

image-712.jpg 237 KB

#436 4 years ago

So close to 200 laps too!

#437 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

So close to 200 laps too!

I played one yesterday and finished the race, #1 position, but scored less. Multiball is key for scoring but the 3rd shot in the Gasoline Alley mode is KEY. Pass 15 cars! It's absolutely necessary to crush it. Without it, you'll be nowhere near the lead. What a tough game. I love it. For every grewt game there are 20 crappy ones though. I like it!

1 month later
#438 4 years ago

Anyone out there have an extra target opto they can sell? Having a hard time finding one.

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I played one yesterday and finished the race, #1 position, but scored less. Multiball is key for scoring but the 3rd shot in the Gasoline Alley mode is KEY. Pass 15 cars! It's absolutely necessary to crush it. Without it, you'll be nowhere near the lead. What a tough game. I love it. For every grewt game there are 20 crappy ones though. I like it!

Say Carl,...how bout those lessons ?

Did you ever know you were my hero ?
And everything I would like to be...

Dude. That is so bad ass. You really are my fracking hero.

#440 4 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Other 3x Effects
Gasoline Alley: No (?)
Anybody care to fill in some of these question marks?

I could've sworn that the 10 laps awards off of 3x + Gasoline Alley is tripled to 30. The ping sound effect was pinging for 3 seconds.

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from yoyoma:

Anyone out there have an extra target opto they can sell? Having a hard time finding one.

Are you looking for just the opto, or the whole assembly?

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from yoyoma:

Opto is something like $5 when you can find it... I'd just buy the improved assembly from Great Lakes. for $25.

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/i500itb.html

#443 4 years ago

Just need the opto. Most vendors don't have in stock. Will go with GreatLakes, thanks.

Also just added green Britebutton flippers from Pinballlife. Very impressive and highly recommend.

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from yoyoma:

Also just added green Britebutton flippers from Pinballlife. Very impressive and highly recommend.

I installed BriteButtons in my WPT and TWD. It's a great product, and by far the best illuminated flipper button solution I have seen. They are expensive, but in my opinion, well worth it.

2 weeks later
#445 4 years ago

is this a known bug?
I started Wrong Turn via the right orbit. Still had Green Light lit at the center scoop, managed to bounce it over into the hidden scoop thing, so had Wrong Turn at 750,000 and started 3x playfield scoring off of Green Light. Hit several pops and had an unfortunate attempt to start multiball and drained.

Wrong Turn award in bonus: 999,270,000!!

#446 4 years ago
Quoted from briandols:

is this a known bug?
I started Wrong Turn via the right orbit. Still had Green Light lit at the center scoop, managed to bounce it over into the hidden scoop thing, so had Wrong Turn at 750,000 and started 3x playfield scoring off of Green Light. Hit several pops and had an unfortunate attempt to start multiball and drained.
Wrong Turn award in bonus: 999,270,000!!

Latest ROM?

I've never seen that bug.

#447 4 years ago

whaddya know. I have a 1.0R chip in there. I thought the R meant final release for some reason and didn't think to check ipdb.

the changelog doesn't mention anything about that bug, and now I wonder if 1.1R will fix the music glitches I've heard too. just checked that I think I have the right sound ROM, SU2. that's what it says on the label anyway.

Post edited by briandols: checked the sound ROM

#448 4 years ago

Did some mods to my Indy.

P1020097.jpg P1020036.jpg P1020062.jpg P1020073.jpg P1020082.jpg
#449 4 years ago

I love what you did with the race track!

Quoted from Letzi_71:Did some mods to my Indy.
P1020097.jpg 172 KB

I love what you did with the race track! I always thought the track looked very unlike the real one. I planned to make a similar mod with a new track decal and include the brick mile on it as well but never got round to it before I had to sell my I500.

#450 4 years ago

Why are there 3 lock inserts on the game? Multiball starts after the second lock. Can this be changes in the menu? Someone should re write the rules to use this insert.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
There are 984 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside