(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,736 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Santis
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
There are 1,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 35.
#301 10 years ago

Ok, if anyone can think of a solution, Please PM me... Thanks

#302 10 years ago

Thanks to a fellow pinsider, Yoyoma, I have the springs and pins for the illuminated targets. YouWho!!!
But now I can not figure out how to attach the spring, target, and pin? Any help? I am a little slow so pictures would be great.
Thanks

#303 10 years ago

It is a pain in the ass getting the spring installed and the target put back together.

#304 10 years ago

I put my old man glasses on and seen the holes to insert the springs. After that not to bad to get it all together.

#305 10 years ago

Ramps...need ramps...any one reproducing these?

#306 10 years ago
Quoted from TZ:

Ramps...need ramps...any one reproducing these?

You can still find NOS right ramps from Australia I believe.

#307 10 years ago

I didn't see any for sale. I do need the left plastic one if any one has any leads.

#308 10 years ago
Quoted from TZ:

I didn't see any for sale. I do need the left plastic one if any one has any leads.

Until they get repro'd those are not available.

#309 10 years ago

When the ball shoots out of the Turbo scoop how fast should it come out? I was expecting it to fly out of there but it just, sorta, shoots out nothing special.

#310 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

When the ball shoots out of the Turbo scoop how fast should it come out? I was expecting it to fly out of there but it just, sorta, shoots out nothing special.

It should whip out of there pretty quickly.

#311 10 years ago

Any adjustments on the Turbo?

#312 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

The turbo shoots the two balls out faster during multiball than when it just shoots a single ball out at other times. On many I500s, the two balls comes careening out of there so fast that they fly off the wireform.

#313 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The turbo shoots the two balls out faster during multiball than when it just shoots a single ball out at other times. On many I500s, the two balls comes careening out of there so fast that they fly off the wireform.

This is also how mine works. If I shoot a ball in the turbo and lock is not lit, the ball will be kicked out on to the ramp to the right flipper...but much slower than when multiball starts. When the two balls are kicked out for multiball they come FLYING down the ramp.

#314 10 years ago

Listen carefully when the single ball launches out of the turbo. If you hear a slight click or the turbo ocassionally jams up hard, you can try this fix: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i500-turbo-mod-rather-a-fix

#315 10 years ago

I am getting credit dot saying "Turbo error sensor opto error" and don't know where to start. Manual does'nt list a switch #. I am never getting a multi ball in the turbo scoop the 3 green arrow that say Lock never lite up even after shooting up the left side. New to the game and not sure of the rules.

#316 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Listen carefully when the single ball launches out of the turbo. If you hear a slight click or the turbo ocassionally jams up hard, you can try this fix: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i500-turbo-mod-rather-a-fix

ok what thickness for the washer? i have this trouble...

#317 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

I am getting credit dot saying "Turbo error sensor opto error" and don't know where to start. Manual does'nt list a switch #. I am never getting a multi ball in the turbo scoop the 3 green arrow that say Lock never lite up even after shooting up the left side. New to the game and not sure of the rules.

It is likely either the opto that notes if a ball is in one of the turbo slots or the opto that monitors the rotation of the turbo. First check under the playfield for loose wires in that area. Otherwise, you are removing the left ramp and the turbo to look for detached wires to the optos or faulty optos. (or displaced optos)

Go into the switch test and then either rotate the turbo or put balls into the turbo slots to see if those register, that should help narrow down which opto is the problem.

#318 10 years ago

Anyone here looking to buy an Indy 500 machine? I am in the SF Bay Area.

#319 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Also, be sure that the switch on the opposite side is making (above upper flipper). You must complete the loop and if it doesn't make, you will never qualify for a lock. I had this problem with mine when I first bought it (loose wire on the switch).

#320 10 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

I used one standard thickness washer and it improved the situation dramatically.

#321 10 years ago

All the swiches seem to check out except for #38 right loop is closed and does not register in switch test but would that affect the turbo? Also when machine is 1st turned on the turbo runs through a cycle where it goes fast then slows down then goes fast and then slows down 3x, is that normal? Would the right scoop switch keep the lock arrows from lighting?

#322 10 years ago

My turbo only spins fast, slows down and stops once at start-up.

Did you try the turbo test in diagnostics?

Based on the error, it seems that your turbo opto is the problem.

#323 10 years ago

I did manually push the turbo blade in switch test and the opto checked out ok. When playing a game and the ball goes in the turbo it fires it out. Does the right loop switch need to be triggered to light the lock arrows?

#324 10 years ago

To light the lock arrows, you need to shoot the left orbit when the green lock rectangle is lit that is in the opening to the orbit. That will light the green arrows that point to the turbo. The ball will only stay in the turbo once the green arrows pointing to the turbo VUK are flashing.

#325 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

All the swiches seem to check out except for #38 right loop is closed and does not register in switch test but would that affect the turbo? Also when machine is 1st turned on the turbo runs through a cycle where it goes fast then slows down then goes fast and then slows down 3x, is that normal? Would the right scoop switch keep the lock arrows from lighting?

Yes. You must make the left loop switch and it must go around and make the right loop switch in order to qualify a lock.

#326 10 years ago

I found three broken light up target housings today on ebay for $25. Bought them immediately for the rods and springs!!

I'm willing to help a fellow Pinsider and sell you one (or just a spring or rod) if anyone is in a bind looking for one...

#327 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

My turbo only spins fast, slows down and stops once at start-up.
Did you try the turbo test in diagnostics?
Based on the error, it seems that your turbo opto is the problem.

Opto is not testing in switch test and turbo will not lock 2 balls. So sounds like a bad opto?

#328 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

So sounds like a bad opto?

Or mis-aligned, but definitely opto related!

#329 10 years ago
Quoted from Pacer:

Or mis-aligned, but definitely opto related!

Took opto off and cleaned and all seems to be working.
Now when the turbo shots out the 2 balls for multi ball they almost seem to come out at the same time? (very close to each other as they come out) That sound right? Also when you lock the first ball does the turbo continue to spin until 2nd ball caught? Sorta loud and distracking but did have the glass off.

#330 10 years ago

Yes, sending two balls together is the norm.

I don't remember continuous spinning after the first ball. I recall lock, spin while the matching audio call out is running, and then stopping when the audio of the spinning stops.

However, I sold mine 6 months ago, my memory may be off.

#331 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Took opto off and cleaned and all seems to be working.
Now when the turbo shots out the 2 balls for multi ball they almost seem to come out at the same time? (very close to each other as they come out) That sound right? Also when you lock the first ball does the turbo continue to spin until 2nd ball caught? Sorta loud and distracking but did have the glass off.

Congrats on the fix!

Yes, continuous spinning of the turbo when one ball is locked is normal.

Yes, on multiball start, both balls come out virtually together on mine. Wait until you get 3 coming out at once!

It seems that the optos on this machine are susceptible to dust buildup. I had a problem with my light-up targets randomly scoring that turned out to be dirty optos too...

#332 10 years ago

I think I have everything working now so I am excited to get started playing and see if this is a game for me. Thanks for all the help!!!

#333 10 years ago

I am back to having turbo opto errors but what I notice is the holes in the turbo propeller are not lining up with the optos. When the turbo blade spins it does not always stop where the opto on top and bottom line up with the hole in the turbo blade. (I hope this makes sense?) So is there an adjusment that can be done to make the holes on the turbo blade to line up with the opto.

#334 10 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

fixed, thanks

#335 10 years ago

Used a fellow pinsider fix on a light up target. I used a thicker gauge sheet metal then the one posted and a band saw to shape it. Works perfectly!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#336 10 years ago

Nice job! I'm going to have to give this a go soon. I'm in the process of negotiating a swap of my Road Show for an Indy 500 and all three light up targets are broken in this way.

#337 10 years ago

It's not that hard of a fix. Getting the targets back together with the springs is honestly the hardest part. I used a sharpie to black out the tab before I reinstalled in the game.

#338 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Nice job! I'm going to have to give this a go soon. I'm in the process of negotiating a swap of my Road Show for an Indy 500 and all three light up targets are broken in this way.

Funny, that's how I got my Indy.

#339 10 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Funny, that's how I got my Indy.

Ha! How did you find the swap? You're in a similar situation to me with only one pin (I've got two) but you've owned lots more in the past.

#340 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

I am back to having turbo opto errors but what I notice is the holes in the turbo propeller are not lining up with the optos. When the turbo blade spins it does not always stop where the opto on top and bottom line up with the hole in the turbo blade. (I hope this makes sense?) So is there an adjusment that can be done to make the holes on the turbo blade to line up with the opto.

I am by no means a technical guy , but when i first got my Indy 500, i had turbo errors and replacing the motor on the turbo fixed it.

Ed Z

#341 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Anyone?

#342 10 years ago

If your opto is not working, you can't expect the turbo blades to stop in any specific place. As long as the opto is under the openings in the turbo as you spin it, the sensor should be aligned correctly. Also, since it seemed to work for a while, its probably aligned correctly.

Not sure if this problem applies to the turbo optos but its very common for the solder joints on the opto sensors to need to be re-flowed. Are you comfortable enough with a soldering iron to try this?

#343 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

If your opto is not working, you can't expect the turbo blades to stop in any specific place. As long as the opto is under the openings in the turbo as you spin it, the sensor should be aligned correctly. Also, since it seemed to work for a while, its probably aligned correctly.
Not sure if this problem applies to the turbo optos but its very common for the solder joints on the opto sensors to need to be re-flowed. Are you comfortable enough with a soldering iron to try this?

Opto is working. Sometimes the turbo blade hole lines up with the opto and sometimes it doesn't thus not locking 2 balls.

#344 10 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Opto is working. Sometimes the turbo blade hole lines up with the opto and sometimes it doesn't thus not locking 2 balls.

What exactly is happening to prevent the second ball from locking? Is the second lock arrow lit when you are trying to lock the second ball? If the second lock light is lit, what is happening when you get a ball into the VUK?

#345 10 years ago

Wanted!

I'm looking for 1or 2 Indy 500 pins within 5 hours of Indianapolis. If you have one forsale please send me a PM

Thanks

#346 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

What exactly is happening to prevent the second ball from locking? Is the second lock arrow lit when you are trying to lock the second ball? If the second lock light is lit, what is happening when you get a ball into the VUK?

There are holes in the bottom of the turbo blade that the optos shine through. The turbo blade does not always stop in the right position for the optos to shine through the hole, therefore, the opto doesn't register. If you lock the 1st ball it will get shot out. If you then lock the 2nd ball it will get shot out but will start the 2 ball multi ball by kicking the 2nd ball out of the ball trough.
So, basically, after the turbo blade spins and comes to a rest the holes in the blade do not line up with the optos so then the opto is reading closed. Opto is working. I can manually move the turbo blade so the hole in the blade lines up with the opto then it will read open.

#347 10 years ago

I put my burnt-out old opto board from my old Indy500 in this video game trailer (Seen at the :57 mark of the video). There is also a 7-opto board from my NBAFB in the same shot.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of that.

#348 10 years ago

Great trailer! Looks like a fun game — homage written all over it, including the trailer.

#349 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Great trailer! Looks like a fun game

Thanks man! It is a super fun game. That is my acting debut as the lead FBI Agent and the hands soldering.

1 week later
#350 9 years ago

I just posted this 45 minute I500 tutorial video I've had saved over the years on my youtube account.

Enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 17.50
There are 1,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.