(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,737 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by amxfc3s
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 35.
#251 10 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Is there supposed to be a blue bumper pad at the top of the ball launch ramp? Mine doesn't have one...but I would think there should be...

No

#252 10 years ago

I added one.

#253 10 years ago

I am having issues with my Turbo Scoop VUK. Besides the ball bouncing out 8/10 times, the VUK successfully kicks the ball into the turbo only about 50% of the time. The other times, the ball only makes it halfway up the wireform. The ball must be hitting something and losing its momentum. It doesn't appear that the backstop is in the way and the wireform is secure with no movement. Should the wireform be pushed towards the spinning turbo area, or pulled closer to the bottom flippers? It appears it can be adjusted about 1/4" or so.

Is the mod that Cliffy suggests the best one to keep the ball from bouncing out of the scoop? (the mod is to make the bend in the backstop about 1/4" higher than where it currently is to direct the ball downwards). I don't have a Cliffy on my scoop yet.

#254 10 years ago

I am having issues with my Turbo Scoop VUK. Besides the ball bouncing out 8/10 times, the VUK successfully kicks the ball into the turbo only about 50% of the time. The other times, the ball only makes it halfway up the wireform. The ball must be hitting something and losing its momentum. It doesn't appear that the backstop is in the way and the wireform is secure with no movement. Should the wireform be pushed towards the spinning turbo area, or pulled closer to the bottom flippers? It appears it can be adjusted about 1/4" or so.

My I500 had the same problem when I got it, and I traced it to the ball hitting the turbo scoop plastic (because mine was broken and therefore free to swing out in the way of the VUK ball travel). Just throwing this out there in case you have the same problem. I'm pretty sure BAA and PPS sell this plastic individually. It's a very common problem on this game.

Is the mod that Cliffy suggests the best one to keep the ball from bouncing out of the scoop? (the mod is to make the bend in the backstop about 1/4" higher than where it currently is to direct the ball downwards). I don't have a Cliffy on my scoop yet.

Are you getting a lot of bounceouts right now, even without the Cliffy? If so, you're really gonna hate the Cliffy's effect on this problem. I have a Cliffy and added weather strip foam as someone documented in this thread (?); I still get a lot of bounceouts. I haven't tried the backstop bend fix yet, but that's the next thing to try, other than removing the Cliffy.

#255 10 years ago

I do not currently have a Cliffy installed and I get a TON of bounce outs. Was the foam installed on the left side ball guide?

With regards to the ball not making it all the way up the wireform into the turbo, I am thinking that the ball might be making too much contact with the wireform early on, this slowing it down...other times it works great. I checked the four screws securing the bracket under the playfield and everything is solid. I am pretty sure it's an alignment issue with the trajectory of the ball, just not sure how to adjust. I will try and take a video of it.

Thanks

#256 10 years ago

Never had this problem with the VUK but maybe try inspecting/cleaning the coil plunger and putting a new coil sleeve in there to give it more energy on the lift?

#257 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Never had this problem with the VUK but maybe try inspecting/cleaning the coil plunger and putting a new coil sleeve in there to give it more energy on the lift?

I don't feel any friction if I move the plunger manually, but it couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean it up. Also a good excuse to bend the backstop while I am at it.

Has anyone tried dropping the assembly down a bit with the use of washers on the underside? (Similar to preventing bounce outs on IJ mode start saucer.

#258 10 years ago

i added a small piece of draft excluder to the back edge of the entrance hole which makes the ball sit dead center on top of the plunger and since doing this very simple and cheap fix it works 100% every time no fail

#259 10 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

My I500 had the same problem when I got it, and I traced it to the ball hitting the turbo scoop plastic (because mine was broken and therefore free to swing out in the way of the VUK ball travel). Just throwing this out there in case you have the same problem. I'm pretty sure BAA and PPS sell this plastic individually. It's a very common problem on this game.

Are you getting a lot of bounceouts right now, even without the Cliffy? If so, you're really gonna hate the Cliffy's effect on this problem. I have a Cliffy and added weather strip foam as someone documented in this thread (?); I still get a lot of bounceouts. I haven't tried the backstop bend fix yet, but that's the next thing to try, other than removing the Cliffy.

i added a small piece of draft excluder to the back edge of the entrance hole which makes the ball sit dead center on top of the plunger and since doing this very simple and cheap fix it works 100% every time no fail

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from Indi500-sean:

Can you post a picture or two? I think I know what a draft excluder is, but would it be possible for you to post a link to product page at an online store?

Thanks!

#261 10 years ago

Saw this translite on ePay the other night. Thought I would post the link here just in case someone REALLY needs one. No affiliation....

ebay.com link: Indianapolis 500 Pinball Machine Original NOS Translite Great Condition

#262 10 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Can you post a picture or two? I think I know what a draft excluder is, but would it be possible for you to post a link to product page at an online store?
Thanks!

+1

I have no idea what a draft excluder is. Please post a picture and more details of this mod. When the ball does not make it up the VUK on the first try, it always makes it on the 3rd try...rarely on the 2nd try. Weird. I still need to post a video of this...maybe someone can see the problem right away.

#263 10 years ago

I think draft excluder is the sticky-back foam that people also use behind standup targets.

#264 10 years ago

FIXED! The reason the ball did not make it up the wireform every time is because it was not centered above the plunger. The metal had worn away towards the front of the scoop causing the circle in the plate to become oblong. The red circle in the first picture shows where the ball *should* be sitting when properly on top of the plunger tip. I have put in a piece of target backing foam for now to help center the ball on the cupped plunger tip. If someone has a better long-term fix, please let me know. The pictures explain the problem and solution....
VUK before 1.jpgVUK before 1.jpgVUK before 2.jpgVUK before 2.jpgVUK fix.jpgVUK fix.jpg

#265 10 years ago

Wow, thats a lot of plunging to cause that wear! Probably caused by the ball hitting the back and bouncing into that edge. I bet lots of other games have this same problem....

Nice pictures of the problem. You may want to create a genric VUK problem thread with your solution so people with other games will see it if they have the problem. Also might find someone with another solution. Off hand, I can't think of a better solution other than to find a new part... Your solution may also help with bounce-outs....

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=04-10072

Not the cheapest solution: http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=a-20159

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You may want to create a genric VUK problem thread with your solution so people with other games will see it if they have the problem. Also might find someone with another solution.

Great idea! I just posted this in the Tech forum. Here is the link in case others post additional solutions:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vuk-problem-and-solution-ball-not-making-it-up-wireform#post-1475681

#267 10 years ago

I am considering getting an indy 500. It is pretty nice but the cab is pretty faded on the sides and its a reimport. Is 2650 a fair price for it?

#268 10 years ago

Most cabs are faded. Hard to say if the price is fair without seeing pics. I also don't know the price of pins in your area.

#269 10 years ago

Upper kickout issue- my upper kickout mechanism is getting stuck in the coil; it's like thei5 001.JPGi5 001.JPG plunger is travelling too far and catching. The plunger and coil stop look good. What could be causing this?
Anyone have this issue and fix? thanks

#270 10 years ago

I ran into the overtravel on that saucer, I forget exactly what I did, but I bent one of the metal parts (as in correcting it, not a hack bending).

#271 10 years ago

(It may have been the metal bracket holding the solenoid. Again, not sure)

#272 10 years ago

I think you might be having the same issue as I was on my TOTAN orb kick out. All I had to do was take it apart and clean the "gunk" (2nd pic) that hardened which was causing it to stick.

8398137633_32ab67b0ce_z.jpg8398137633_32ab67b0ce_z.jpg 8398138911_15abf2b944_z.jpg8398138911_15abf2b944_z.jpg
#273 10 years ago

There is an Indy 500 that I am thinking of buying, however two of the light up targets were not working. I have heard these are really hard to find. Is that true? I did see them on Marco however they were out of stock. Does anybody else sell them? Thanks

#274 10 years ago

I think they have become hard to find, and expensive when you do. Search on the forum for a fix. Someone posted what seemed like a solid fix for these targets. It seems like 99% of the time it is the small plastic tab that interrupts the opto switch that breaks off. By riveting a small piece of aluminum on, you are back in business.

#275 10 years ago

Great thanks

#276 10 years ago

All the parts you need to rebuild the light up targets should be available. It's just a matter of hunting them down. It's basically three parts: The black housing, the clear target face, and the PCB with the LEDs.

#277 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Geo:

There is an Indy 500 that I am thinking of buying, however two of the light up targets were not working. I have heard these are really hard to find. Is that true? I did see them on Marco however they were out of stock. Does anybody else sell them? Thanks

Previous page of this thread has info on where to find the targets:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/5#post-1427236

#278 10 years ago

Hello everybody, first time on this thread, and I don't have the time to read it all, but I wanted to post that I just restored an I500 pf for my self, and I will not be using it. The pf is mistakable for nos, its that darn good. If anyone is interested, I am interested in trading or selling. here is my email
[email protected]
cheers

#279 10 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Hello everybody, first time on this thread, and I don't have the time to read it all, but I wanted to post that I just restored an I500 pf for my self, and I will not be using it. The pf is mistakable for nos, its that darn good. If anyone is interested, I am interested in trading or selling. here is my email
[email protected]
cheers

PM Sent.

#280 10 years ago

Just a heads up that the clear target part is out of stock.

#281 10 years ago

The targets from GLM are awesome: http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/i500itb.html

They do use a brighter 3mm LED, so you might want to swap all of the ones in your machine out for new ones so the replacement target doesn't look out of place.

#282 10 years ago

Has anyone here successfully prevented bounce-outs from the turbo scoop? The ball bounces out about 75% of the time on my game. REALLY annoying. I read the fix on Cliffy's website, but there aren't any pictures and I think the backstop on my machine was previously bent, so hard to know what it *should* look like after the bending mod.

If someone has a fix or has done the Cliffy mod, can you please take pictures?

#283 10 years ago

I think the backstop on my machine was previously bent

I bent it back to how it was in factory condition before selling the machine to you. I had the same problem with bounce outs, but I never tried bending it like Cliff recommended.

#284 10 years ago

SwedishC,

You may have me confused with someone else. I traded a machine for my Indy.

#285 10 years ago

Oh! My mistake. nm.

#286 10 years ago

I have had a couple request for pics of the I500 playfield I have for sale. I should have a chance to take them tonight, and I will post here. thanks for the patience, and of course thanks to mike wong for hooking me up with a nice plank.
cheers, rk

#287 10 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I have had a couple request for pics of the I500 playfield I have for sale. I should have a chance to take them tonight, and I will post here. thanks for the patience, and of course thanks to mike wong for hooking me up with a nice plank.
cheers, rk

No problem and sure who ever ends up with this I500 playfield will be very happy. I have seen Ron's work on some of my friend's pins and it is nothing short of spectacular. If I didn't already have a minty I500 playfield that was touched up and cleared by Drano I would be buying this back from Ron. It was only touched up because there was a visible ghosting line above the Red and Green indy car flasher inserts.

I500_drano1.jpgI500_drano1.jpg I500_drano2.jpgI500_drano2.jpg I500_drano3.jpgI500_drano3.jpg
#289 10 years ago

Close circuit to Pingeo or any Indy owner needing complete targets:
I have a couple extra rebuilt targets complete with housings, original springs, etc. I could give you a deal on. I rebuilt them with aluminum similar to an earlier poster did.

#290 10 years ago

just realized one of my target interuptors didn't survive the weekend while the game worked in the Fairfax Pinball Open tournament bank. damn

#291 10 years ago

Has anyone here successfully prevented bounce-outs from the turbo scoop? The ball bounces out about 75% of the time on my game. REALLY annoying. I read the fix on Cliffy's website, but there aren't any pictures and I think the backstop on my machine was previously bent, so hard to know what it *should* look like after the bending mod.
If someone has a fix or has done the Cliffy mod, can you please take pictures?

anyone?

#292 10 years ago

Just joined the group I500 forum thread.
Lot's of great discussions.
I hope to contribute soon as I only recently got mine in the house.

#293 10 years ago

I bought a indy 500 that was missing the 3 illuminated targets, housing,and pcb's. Finally found those 3 pieces but, now, understand I need springs to make them work. Can anyone tell me where to find the springs, how they are installed, and if there is anything else I would need to make the illuminated targets work? A picture of the spring assembly would be most helpful.

#294 10 years ago

Do you have the cliffy protector installed or not?

Mine without the protector works great. I do get some bounceouts but no more than any other shot. I saw someone that used sticky memory foam strips on the sides or back and that helped them. It may be earlier in this thread or you can try searching pinside for it.

#295 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Do you have the cliffy protector installed or not?
Mine without the protector works great. I do get some bounceouts but no more than any other shot. I saw someone that used sticky memory foam strips on the sides or back and that helped them. It may be earlier in this thread or you can try searching pinside for it.

I do not have a Cliffy installed. I am guessing it's the angle of the backstop...just not sure what the best angle is. It not bounces out 8/10 times. I have to try and delay the shot from the upper right flipper just slightly so the ball hits the metal ball guide first, then travels into the scoop. This helps, but it's frustrating.

#296 10 years ago

Here's a couple shots of the spring in target housing and rebuilt opto actuator as requested. I don't think anyone sells the springs individually.

pin 017.JPGpin 017.JPGpin 016.JPGpin 016.JPG

#297 10 years ago

Additonal photos of rebuilt targets:
P1470390.JPGP1470390.JPGP1470388.JPGP1470388.JPG

1 week later
#298 10 years ago

Hello I500 lovers

Is there any backbox decals for sale anywere?
I have search the whole internet without success
My pin is great in every other way and the BB-decals would make it collectors quality

Thanks in advance

#299 10 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen decals available for I500, backbox or otherwise. It's probably an issue of licensing. I500 also had a very small production run, so there isn't huge demand for them.

#300 10 years ago
Quoted from cl65:

Is there any backbox decals for sale anywere

Nope. Rick at Planetary Pinball said they are making them, but it has been a year with no update on the status.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

€ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 37.50
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.