(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,737 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by amxfc3s
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 35.
#1451 2 years ago

Happy race day!

1 week later
#1452 2 years ago

anyone have a source for the tension springs that go inside the illuminated targets? I was repairing mine and i lost the spring in one unit.

#1453 2 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

anyone have a source for the tension springs that go inside the illuminated targets? I was repairing mine and i lost the spring in one unit.

That sux, going to be hard to get.
Someone needs to redesign/repro those targets to be more reliable and accessible to those that have trashed ones.
What a crappy design.

#1454 2 years ago

They are definitely an odd element of the game. Zero relationship to theme. And it's notable that the hardware elements were never used again..

#1455 2 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

There is a workaround.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/17#post-4811422

#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from Puckstop:

I’m looking for a replacement Indy 500 translite. Repro’s are ok. Thanks in advance

several available on ebay through classic arcades

#1457 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:They are definitely an odd element of the game. Zero relationship to theme. And it's notable that the hardware elements were never used again..

Classic Nordman though. He routinely put new mechanical features in his games. Sometimes they were reused, sometimes not. These obviously not. Probably due to both cost and reliability.

#1458 2 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Classic Nordman though. He routinely put new mechanical features in his games. Sometimes they were reused, sometimes not. These obviously not. Probably due to both cost and reliability.

I actually like them (apart from breakage). I just wish they were better integrated via sound, DMD, or playfield art.

#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

They are definitely an odd element of the game. Zero relationship to theme. And it's notable that the hardware elements were never used again..

I always thought they were sort of loosely based on a checkered race flag. Whatever they are, it’s cool that they are unique to this game only.

#1460 2 years ago

Pinballinc makes the target insert and the housing. I think someone else makes the board but I can't remember who.

#1462 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

I actually like them (apart from breakage). I just wish they were better integrated via sound, DMD, or playfield art.

Same. For the last year, I've bought every spare part I can find related to the targets, so i suspect I'll be good for awhile. I think the PCB's were the hardest parts to find, but a user on here is/was making them.

#1463 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Same. For the last year, I've bought every spare part I can find related to the targets, so i suspect I'll be good for awhile. I think the PCB's were the hardest parts to find, but a user on here is/was making them.

Dumbass . Well not you but, that's the user name who makes these!

#1464 2 years ago

I find that especially if you've racked up INDY insane souvenirs, the pit stop multiball (which is fairly low scoring) is a good time to deliberately try to pick off and advance the light up target waves, especially of course if you can get a ball cradled on each flipper.

#1465 2 years ago

Question... When the car on the left ramp turns to the side, is it supposed to hold a ball?

#1466 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Question... When the car on the left ramp turns to the side, is it supposed to hold a ball?

Yes. It should hold the ball at the beginning of Pit Stop multiball.

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yes. It should hold the ball at the beginning of Pit Stop multiball.

Thanks! My car moves but doesn't hold the ball. Any ideas? When should it release the ball?

#1468 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Thanks! My car moves but doesn't hold the ball. Any ideas? When should it release the ball?

It releases the ball when you shoot the right ramp, or when the Pit Stop times out (I believe it is 25 seconds).

#1469 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It releases the ball when you shoot the right ramp, or when the Pit Stop times out (I believe it is 25 seconds).

Just checked the PAPA tutorial video. Looks like my car doesn't move over far enough to hold the ball. Something to look into.

#1470 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Just checked the PAPA tutorial video. Looks like my car doesn't move over far enough to hold the ball. Something to look into.

The diverter probably just needs a slight adjustment.

1 week later
#1471 2 years ago

Is it typical for the lock to sometimes get confused on ball count during multiball? This seems to happen on random occasions. Also happened today when I had turbo boost multiball mode going, then regular multiball started and the first turbo shot was an immediate super jackpot. Everything felt so out of whack. Are you supposed to be able to stack turbo boost into the regular multiball? Vaguely related, but the game requires 4 balls - what are the scenarios when all four are in play?

#1472 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Is it typical for the lock to sometimes get confused on ball count during multiball? This seems to happen on random occasions.

Could be a flaky opto.

1 week later
#1473 2 years ago

Finished the game with 2 victory laps and a new high score !

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1474 2 years ago

Installed a color dmd ( LCD) !

1 week later
#1475 2 years ago

I still can't believe it took me years to unlearn the myth that the super light ups mode does nothing. A little more info on the DMD would have gone a long way.

#1476 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

I still can't believe it took me years to unlearn the myth that the super light ups mode does nothing. A little more info on the DMD would have gone a long way.

Can you elaborate?

#1477 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

What do they do?

#1478 2 years ago

For the duration of the mode it takes only one shot to clear a light up target. Probably most useful if stacked into a multiball (aim or flail, your choice) or if you're close to finishing all the waves (souvenirs don't help with easing all waves).

#1479 2 years ago

Are you approaching this from a "finish" the game standpoint or some other play-style?

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Are you approaching this from a "finish" the game standpoint or some other play-style?

I do try to get all the victory laps. And pit stop is a good time to shoot light ups. Could also argue for shooting them in regular multiball as well, esp when ball save is active, if you're getting close to finishing them. Finishing wave 5 (I think) also lights extra ball.

#1481 2 years ago

For those with the racetrack decal mod..did you remove the existing or simply go over it with the new?

#1482 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

I think the gate is totally the way to go. Super easy to install. The bounce outs aren't due to bad shots, really, since they're rare without the cliffy. To me, the gate seemed easier than messing with the angle of the backstop (i.e. bending metal).

Regarding Turbo-bobby scoop bounce outs, the gate requires a delicate tweaky adjustment to prevent two balls getting stuck inside where the vuk is unable to pop them both up. It does work, but it took some time to get it fool proof. I have experimented with another option.

I found using a small bit of slightly thick two sided tape affixed to the blue nub can also deaden the rebound from a strong solid shot. The tape has a bit of cushion to it, plus the stickiness has an added rebound blocking effect.

I'm actually using the gate with the tape, but I think the tape might've been sufficient on its own. I've noticed a much higher percentage of solid thwacks! keeping the ball inside the scoop.

#1483 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

For those with the racetrack decal mod..did you remove the existing or simply go over it with the new?

I wiped down the track with isopropyl and then just applied the decal directly. Looks great. If you search back in this thread a bit, Tantrum gives some recommendations for how to apply for the best look.

3 weeks later
#1484 2 years ago

4 weeks later
#1485 2 years ago

I like the apron. Not sure my eyeballs could handle it though. Looks cool!

#1486 2 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

I like the apron. Not sure my eyeballs could handle it though. Looks cool!

LMAO! Thanks!

#1487 2 years ago

Has anyone ever done a good topper for this game? I've thought about doing something with Indy Car toys of some kind.

#1489 2 years ago

It's actually a magnet that I had a friend make for me from overseas.

#1490 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Has anyone ever done a good topper for this game? I've thought about doing something with Indy Car toys of some kind.

I added a couple Indy model cars and put lights on them that flash with the outside cars.

#1491 2 years ago

Does anyone have a set of ramp decals? Or know where they sell them? Got a new set of ramps from Jody, but need some new decals to go with them. Originals are not in great shape. Thanks, Mìke

#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Does anyone have a set of ramp decals? Or know where they sell them? Got a new set of ramps from Jody, but need some new decals to go with them. Originals are not in great shape. Thanks, Mìke

I got mine here:
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/indianapolis-500-serpentine-ramp-decal.html
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/indianapolis-500-pit-ramp-decal.html

#1493 2 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1494 2 years ago
#1495 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Pm sent

#1496 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

[quoted image]

Where'd you get those art blades?

#1497 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Where'd you get those art blades?

Like the apron in a earlier post...a friend from overseas makes my ideas come to life!

#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Like the apron in a earlier post...a friend from overseas makes my ideas come to life!

He could make some cash. I would take a set of everything.

1 week later
#1499 2 years ago

Can anyone who has tweeked the bend of their VUK as per cliffys recommendations post a pic ? I'm unclear of how the angle should be

#1500 2 years ago

Going to be hard to tell from a picture. But basically you want to bend it so the angle between the back of the vuk and the playfield is at a lower angle. You could also look at it like you want to bend the top of the vuk toward the player.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

€ 17.50
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/30?hl=plovis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.