(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,737 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by amxfc3s
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 35.
#1351 3 years ago

Mine is coming home next week with some fresh decals, powder coat, and a really nice shop job, can’t wait. Note - legs are powder coated as well, will be installed when it gets home. Love the “Chevy orange” color came out great with this decal set.

B29FDF84-5E2F-4852-B0F8-7DB9FC21B30B (resized).jpegB29FDF84-5E2F-4852-B0F8-7DB9FC21B30B (resized).jpeg
#1352 3 years ago

What decals did you go with? Did you consider seeing where mirco was with the rad-cals?

#1353 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Mine is coming home next week with some fresh decals, powder coat, and a really nice shop job, can’t wait. Note - legs are powder coated as well, will be installed when it gets home. Love the “Chevy orange” color came out great with this decal set.
[quoted image]

Nice man! Who did the work ?

#1354 3 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

What decals did you go with? Did you consider seeing where mirco was with the rad-cals?

These are decals I ordered off eBay for about $250 prior to even knowing radcals might be an option. If radcals were readily available I would have bought them but these turned out really nice (at least in the pics!). Would probably still buy radcals if/when available.

#1355 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Nice man! Who did the work ?

Parrothd33 did the great work and selected the color.

#1356 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

These are decals I ordered off eBay for about $250 prior to even knowing radcals might be an option. If radcals were readily available I would have bought them but these turned out really nice (at least in the pics!). Would probably still buy radcals if/when available.

I just got one for my collection. Has an issue with the turbo.... it works, but doesn’t see the ball in the turbo so it flings it right back out. Of course, the cab is faded ..... I really wish they’d do radcals for it, as decaling is not an option for me since it’s already in te basement. Also one of the led targets isn’t registering.

#1357 3 years ago
Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

I just got one for my collection. Has an issue with the turbo.... it works, but doesn’t see the ball in the turbo so it flings it right back out. Of course, the cab is faded ..... I really wish they’d do radcals for it, as decaling is not an option for me since it’s already in te basement. Also one of the led targets isn’t registering.

Your lucky to at least have it in your collection . I'm still looking!

#1358 3 years ago

I just got one for my collection. Has an issue with the turbo

Some folks here might not understand where your game has an issue.

The proper name for that part is the "turbo-bobby." It'll be clear after a few repeated plays.

#1359 3 years ago

I just got one for my collection. Has an issue with the turbo.... it works, but doesn’t see the ball in the turbo so it flings it right back out.

Mine was doing exactly this, the opto in the turbo isn’t working.
Needs to be torn down quite a bit to get to the bottom opto.

#1360 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Some folks here might not understand where your game has an issue.
The proper name for that part is the "turbo-bobby." It'll be clear after a few repeated plays.

HAHAHA!

Quoted from DNO:

Mine was doing exactly this, the opto in the turbo isn’t working.
Needs to be torn down quite a bit to get to the bottom opto.

Yucky teardown

2 weeks later
#1361 3 years ago

Made some progress while Pinside was down! The rest of the back ramp will be coming soon...I ran out of material. These are first pulls, and need to have some adjustments done to the molds before I attempt again. The serpentine ramp is super tricky, and I am pleased it actually is possible for me to form. I was very unsure about this one originally. I was even able to maintain the rolled lip!

20210410_162143 (resized).jpg20210410_162143 (resized).jpg
#1362 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Made some progress while Pinside was down! The rest of the back ramp will be coming soon...I ran out of material. These are first pulls, and need to have some adjustments done to the molds before I attempt again. The serpentine ramp is super tricky, and I am pleased it actually is possible for me to form. I was very unsure about this one originally. I was even able to maintain the rolled lip!
[quoted image]

Wow how cool. I’m so in when these are ready! Just had my i500 restored and my ramps aren’t bad but not as perfect as the rest of the machine.

#1363 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Wow how cool. I’m so in when these are ready! Just had my i500 restored and my ramps aren’t bad but not as perfect as the rest of the machine.

Probably not a special pin for you or anything!

#1364 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

[quoted image]

Absolutely awesome!

#1365 3 years ago

Guys still looking High Res pictures from the large Car model's all side and top/bottom from the left ramp if someone can do.
Thank you

#1366 3 years ago

I mean the car from Left ramp. Of course need photos only from the Indy500 Car model/toy.

#1367 3 years ago

Any tips on how to change the inner portion of the seat targets, without screwing anything important up? I have one that has a broken interrupter, and I just got my planetary order in. How do I even get the shaft out without breaking the black shell?

Thanks
Mike

#1368 3 years ago

I was able to get mine apart by straightening out the roll on one end of brass pin.It was slow going with variety of pliers ,I didn't get it completely straight but enough to get it apart.Be careful not to loose or damage spring

#1369 3 years ago

Any tips on how to change the inner portion of the seat targets, without screwing anything important up? I have one that has a broken interrupter, and I just got my planetary order in. How do I even get the shaft out without breaking the black shell?
Thanks
Mike

I pulled mine from the playfield and drilled out one of the flared ends (picked the side I was least likely to see if I screwed up!). There is a bit of slack such that you can move the hollow rod all the way to one side and get some extra clearance from the outer shell.

#1370 3 years ago
Quoted from Joco77:

Guys still looking High Res pictures from the large Car model's all side and top/bottom from the left ramp if someone can do.
Thank you

I took a few pictures, while I had the playfield up. Let me know if these work or not.

PXL_20210322_154431244 (resized).jpgPXL_20210322_154431244 (resized).jpgPXL_20210322_154442712 (resized).jpgPXL_20210322_154442712 (resized).jpgPXL_20210322_154459487 (resized).jpgPXL_20210322_154459487 (resized).jpg
#1371 3 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

I took a few pictures, while I had the playfield up. Let me know if these work or not. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you so much! I sent to the 3D modeller.

#1372 3 years ago
Quoted from Joco77:

Thank you so much! I sent to the 3D modeller.

You could try one of these. Maybe paint and decal it to match...

ebay.com link: 171127

#1373 3 years ago

I'd rather personalize the game with a car/driver from that era ('94?). Mario Andretti for the win!

#1374 3 years ago

Almost done with the tooling for the pit ramp combo!

20210417_113834 (resized).jpg20210417_113834 (resized).jpg
#1375 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Almost done with the tooling for the pit ramp combo!
[quoted image]

Awesome!

#1376 3 years ago

Looks pretty good! It's going to be hard for me not to get a set of these....

#1377 3 years ago

Looking to possibly trade a Starwars pro for a nice Bally Indy 500 with cash my way
in the Buffalo NY area. Hit me up!

#1378 3 years ago

Joined the club a few months back...anyone here get hooked on Indy 500 from playing it in college at Eastern Illinois University besides me? It was in McKinney Hall around 1996-99 at least. Great times, and now I get to re-live those times in my own basement!

#1379 3 years ago

Potential seller has a 500. His doesn't have the backboard decal. Any ideas why not?
Can the decal be purchased somewhere ?

#1380 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Potential seller has a 500. His doesn't have the backboard decal. Any ideas why not?

Mine doesn’t have a backboard decal. Not sure there is one.

#1381 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Stock is just plain black. The decal is a mod. https://treasurecovepinball.com/Library/decals/indy-500/indy-500.htm

#1382 3 years ago

What would you guys put the value at for a Indy 500 that has fresh decals, torrn down and cleaned with color dmd?

#1383 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

What would you guys put the value at for a Indy 500 that has fresh decals, torrn down and cleaned with color dmd?

Hard to tell in today’s marketplace of $20k pinball machines. In January 2020, I paid $3900 for a player’s quality (not great) Indy 500. Probably put $3k into it and it’s nearly perfect. But if I had to guess $4-6k, really depending on shape.

#1384 3 years ago

Hey all - just finally joining after lurking for so long. This community has been awesome to learn from and here’s hoping y’all can help out once more. My Indy 500 has developed a new unique trait that isn’t exactly ideal. During multiball play, after about 15 - 20 seconds the whole machine hard powers off and restarts about 10 seconds later. Anyone seen this before? Ideas?

Thanks again!

#1385 3 years ago
Quoted from IndyPinner:

Hey all - just finally joining after lurking for so long. This community has been awesome to learn from and here’s hoping y’all can help out once more. My Indy 500 has developed a new unique trait that isn’t exactly ideal. During multiball play, after about 15 - 20 seconds the whole machine hard powers off and restarts about 10 seconds later. Anyone seen this before? Ideas?
Thanks again!

Here you go: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop#Game_resets

#1386 3 years ago

Wow! This is absolutely fantastic - much appreciated! I do seem to recall now that some Bally machines have been known to exhibit this problem, but this is an excellent diagnostic page. Again - much appreciated. I’ll keep you posted on if/which method worked just in case it comes up again for anyone here.

#1387 3 years ago
Quoted from IndyPinner:

Wow! This is absolutely fantastic - much appreciated! I do seem to recall now that some Bally machines have been known to exhibit this problem, but this is an excellent diagnostic page. Again - much appreciated. I’ll keep you posted on if/which method worked just in case it comes up again for anyone here.

Here’s a good catch all if it ends up being board components and you don’t want to do the board work:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1013-kahrus-circuits/00092-wpc-power-fix-daughterboard

#1388 3 years ago

When it powers off is it just like power cycling it with the switch? Or is the any other sounds with it?

1 week later
#1389 2 years ago

Unfortunate to hear that Bobby Unser passed away yesterday. The call outs that Bobby provided for this game are great, another reason why I have had this machine for years and will continue to play.

#1390 2 years ago

Yes when you combine Uncle Bobby with Paul Page and Tom Carnegie it adds so much to the game for us open wheel race fans!

#1391 2 years ago

Totally agree with you guys, this game is a time capsule of the golden era of open wheel racing in America.

#1392 2 years ago
Quoted from knobstone:

Unfortunate to hear that Bobby Unser passed away yesterday. The call outs that Bobby provided for this game are great, another reason why I have had this machine for years and will continue to play.

Was hoping to get him to sign my backglass. He was a legend!

#1393 2 years ago

If anyone hasn't listened to the Dinner with Racers episode with him, it was a great listen!

1 week later
#1394 2 years ago

Reading some old posts here... Does a cliffy on the turbo scoop cause a lot of bouce outs?

#1395 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Reading some old posts here... Does a cliffy on the turbo scoop cause a lot of bouce outs?

Yes, it did for me anyway.

#1396 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Yes I put a gate on it at first and that completely solved it. Then I had it restored and didn’t want to put the gate back on. I believe there is a fix playing around with the angle of the backstop and foam. I haven’t done it yet and am back to getting some bounce-outs.

#1397 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Yes I put a gate on it at first and that completely solved it. Then I had it restored and didn’t want to put the gate back on. I believe there is a fix playing around with the angle of the backstop and foam. I haven’t done it yet and am back to getting some bounce-outs.

Why wouldn't you want to put it back on if it fixed the issue? Where can I purchase this gate?
Getting close to joining the club

#1398 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Why wouldn't you want to put it back on if it fixed the issue? Where can I purchase this gate?

There is information on Cliffys website about minimizing the bounce outs from the turbo scoop. It involves bending the stop and sizing the blue rubber.

#1399 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Just not playing the game the way it was designed, for whatever reason the deeper I get into the hobby the more than seems to have meaning to me. It’s kind of cheating because there are no bounce-outs at all and maybe there should be if not a good shot. If you search in this thread there are several links to the part in Marcos, available and easy to install.

All that said the turbo scoop hole needs a cliffy as it gets beat to sh!t, and that effects how the game plays.

Another thing that might help (in my case) is to put a smaller coil on the upper right flipper. Doesn’t have to have a ton of power as it’s only for one shot. Mine seems to be as strong as my lower flippers. Not sure what the manual calls for but that’s something I’ll look at.

#1400 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Hopefully you'll track one down, I've seen your wanted ad. I've been half assed looking for one for the last few years, nothing has ever popped up for sale nearby. A bar near me had one about 5 years ago. The theme does nothing for me but I always loved playing it. A few weeks ago my wife wanted wings from a local place. I go pick up and when walking out see one in the corner and turned off, likely because of covid. Went back and asked if it was for sale, but was told it belonged to an operator. Bummer

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 17.50
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 37.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.