(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,336 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by RobbyIRL5
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 391 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1ED8F176-A10A-4164-AEAD-C668B27EC5B4 (resized).jpeg
AE9E431F-1264-4325-8266-9BC11BAF5570 (resized).jpeg
32AF8721-45AA-4D1A-A3FA-39A9A3F4AC3C (resized).jpeg
62F97D99-03E2-47F0-9FA9-7CC6ED4C44DB (resized).jpeg
EA8DD561-8546-4F5E-9EED-C6B3F51D3D58 (resized).jpeg
6E68303A-A386-47BC-9DE0-2F103D02AD73 (resized).jpeg
20210201_190408 (resized).jpg
20210201_184510 (resized).jpg
EFABBDE0-E182-4013-AD01-68CCA615C34D (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210103_191814008 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201006_015118909 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201006_015112151 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201005_204844618 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201005_204838089 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201005_203759424 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201020_140449960 (resized).jpg

There are 1336 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.
#1301 73 days ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Does anyone have a clear understanding of what relights "pass" on the left and "start race" in the middle? I haven't been able to sort out the logic.

Start race in the middle starts a mode if it’s lit. Same as if you were to qualify a mode with the left loop and activate with the right loop (into the upper VUK). Anytime start race is lit I usually prioritize it as it’s an easier mode start.

Pass just moved you up in the standings (ex 20th to 19th), I’ve never really worried about that, as if you play the modes you’ll gain positions.

#1302 72 days ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Does anyone have a clear understanding of what relights "pass" on the left and "start race" in the middle? I haven't been able to sort out the logic.

Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Same as if you were to qualify a mode with the left loop and activate with the right loop (into the upper VUK).

No.

Pass will always be lit when Light Lock is not lit. So, it's lit when a lock is ready at the Turbo.

Start Race is lit at the beginning of a ball (by default) and by completing the top lanes.

#1303 72 days ago
Quoted from stevevt:

No.
Pass will always be lit when Light Lock is not lit. So, it's lit when a lock is ready at the Turbo.
Start Race is lit at the beginning of a ball (by default) and by completing the top lanes.

Ok, I'd strongly suspected the first and lightly suspected the 2nd. Thanks!

The secret race modes are also great for advancing position if you can get lucky or nudge your way to a lot of action in the pops!

2 weeks later
#1304 57 days ago

Was a couple of modes and 5 laps (for 400) shy of my fourth and fifth victory laps and left a damn EB on the table.

I love this game more and more as I dive deeper into it. There are so many subtle points of strategy. Leaves me able to ignore some of the holes in the code.

IMG_20210103_191814008 (resized).jpg
#1305 57 days ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Was a couple of modes and 5 laps (for 400) shy of my fourth and fifth victory laps and left a damn EB on the table.
I love this game more and more as I dive deeper into it. There are so many subtle points of strategy. Leaves me able to ignore some of the holes in the code.
[quoted image]

Damn dude, I was just happy to win once with a 1.4B score. I love the game and miss it now, getting a shop job that started as a playfield swap until we realized my NOS playfield wasn't really NOS, but cleaned up really well. Can't wait to get it back.

I've never heard mention of the holes in the code, what are they? I know it's not super deep, but didn't really think of anything as missing.

#1306 57 days ago

One of the holes is that the souvenirs don't score the way they are displayed.

#1307 57 days ago

Awesome score I was once about that close on laps. Finished the race several times with playing all the modes. My best score is 2,050,000 with the help of extra balls (4) based on scoring.

Concerning the bugs, it came up awhile ago when it was brought to Captain Nemo's attention. All is all it wasn't that much but something about triple scoring wasn't working with something maybe a mode ( possibly dueling drivers?).

#1308 57 days ago

Triple scoring doesn't apply to dueling drivers or to video mode. Applies to laps but not passes, I believe (not necessarily a bug, but passes are super hard to get to video lap unless you nail gasoline alley mode). I did once do a quick stack of 3x with wrong turn mode into multiball and it was nuts. Not sure if 3x applies to cashing in the spanner targets. Not a bug, but I do wish they'd made the spanner targets more a part of the game, i.e. something to go after as a mode or something, rather than what ultimately amounts to incidental points for keeping the ball alive
All souvenirs reward only 5 mil. Super light-ups apparently does nothing (which is a shame since they're otherwise not part of the game other than unto themselves toward the victory lap).

As a scoring note, I love if I can cradle one ball on the left and pound left ramp into lock all day. Gets up to 90 mil per lock shot and you really blow up a score since you're in total control with essentially single ball and single flipper play.

#1309 57 days ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

I was excited to put in a colorDMD on this game and decided on the LED version. I also have the LED version on my Shadow, but it does not have this bright line of light across the top, as seen in the pictures, here. Did I do something wrong with the installation?
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

had the same issue put some insulating tape around th edge - its the lights leaking from the backglass.

3 weeks later
#1310 35 days ago

My rear-most light up (top left playfield) autofires at will and I have no idea why. The opto physics look fine. Recs in where to start troubleshooting? It's driving me nuts both with sound and scoring derangement, especially since I've gotten so much better at the game and actually play the light ups strategically!

#1311 35 days ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

My rear-most light up (top left playfield) autofires at will and I have no idea why. The opto physics look fine. Recs in where to start troubleshooting? It's driving me nuts both with sound and scoring derangement, especially since I've gotten so much better at the game and actually play the light ups strategically!

I’d go into the switch edge test and start hitting switches and see if you can cause it to auto fire. Figure out what’s causing it first. Also shake the machine a bit to see if you can get it to trip, at which point the opto is on a hair trigger and probably needs to be adjusted somehow. My 2 cents.

#1312 34 days ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Could be a broken solder joint on the target board. It is pretty easy to remove from the bottom of the PF. Reflow solder on the opto pins (2 on each side) and the connector header pins.

#1313 33 days ago

Joined the club!
Light ups have been hacked to just be stand ups. Will be restoring those.

EFABBDE0-E182-4013-AD01-68CCA615C34D (resized).jpeg
#1314 33 days ago
Quoted from Jarson:

Joined the club!
Light ups have been hacked to just be stand ups. Will be restoring those.[quoted image]

Welcome. It is a great pinball machine. If you have any issues finding the PCB for the targets, dumbass makes them, just ordered some as spares as they got really hard to find for awhile!

#1315 32 days ago
Quoted from Jarson:

Joined the club!
Light ups have been hacked to just be stand ups. Will be restoring those.[quoted image]

I love this game so much. The light ups aren't so bad, and they convey information about shots remaining.

#1316 29 days ago

I finally got frustrated enough to put a one-way gate at the turbobobby entrance to prevent bounce- outs from perfect shots.

This was suggested by another pinsider earlier in this thread, but warned of a potential issue if two balls enter close together, one could get stuck inside.

But that is avoided by placing the gate almost touching the VUK wireform. It leaves no space for a ball to get stuck resting against the gate from inside. It will always fall into the scoop. In the 1st pic, I'm holding the ball against the gate from inside to keep it from falling back in the scoop.

The gate wire barely makes contact with the ball on entry, but it's just low enough to prevent the ball from bouncing out.

I did remove one screw from the wireform and attached the gate assembly over the screw hole using strong two- sided tape. It allowed me to place the gate in the best position without drilling any holes in the plastic. A bit hillbilly-ish, but 100% effective, reversible and unnoticeable when you play.

The shot still requires timing and accuracy, but it's much more fun when clean shots always stick. It's so much better.

20210201_190408 (resized).jpg20210201_184510 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1317 20 days ago

Any opinions on which colors look good for powder coating on this pinball machine? I see pictures of red which really changes the look of the machine in a good way. Thinking black might be cool too. Any other thoughts?

#1318 20 days ago

I thought I saw somewhere on here but can’t find it now, somebody had added the gate on the turbo shot but they did it by drilling holes through the ball guides. Does anyone have any info on that, or know where that is now? I tried to search for it in this thread but couldn’t seem to find it. if anyone knows, please direct me to where I can find it. Thanks. Mìke

#1319 20 days ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

I thought I saw somewhere on here but can’t find it now, somebody had added the gate on the turbo shot but they did it by drilling holes through the ball guides. Does anyone have any info on that, or know where that is now? I tried to search for it in this thread but couldn’t seem to find it. if anyone knows, please direct me to where I can find it. Thanks. Mìke

Here's the post. I placed the gate in position using strong two sided tape. I have to confess that I did encounter two stuck balls inside. But without permanent drilled holes, I have the option to adjust it. It's a delicate balance to secure the ball but not have a 2nd remain stuck.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/26#post-6022170

#1320 20 days ago

Thank you, but I’m looking for the one where somebody drilled holes in the ball guides and put the wire gate in like that instead of the whole bracket. Mìke

#1321 20 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Any opinions on which colors look good for powder coating on this pinball machine? I see pictures of red which really changes the look of the machine in a good way. Thinking black might be cool too. Any other thoughts?

I did mine in red.

6E68303A-A386-47BC-9DE0-2F103D02AD73 (resized).jpegEA8DD561-8546-4F5E-9EED-C6B3F51D3D58 (resized).jpeg
#1322 20 days ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Thank you, but I’m looking for the one where somebody drilled holes in the ball guides and put the wire gate in like that instead of the whole bracket. Mìke

Did you click the link in my last post?

No bracket. Just the wire gate with holes drilled into the ball guide.

#1323 20 days ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

It’s back on page 26. Schudl5 made the gate. I did it also, works really well.

62F97D99-03E2-47F0-9FA9-7CC6ED4C44DB (resized).jpeg
#1324 20 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Did you click the link in my last post?
No bracket. Just the wire gate with holes drilled into the ball guide.

That’s it! Sorry! Thank you!

#1325 20 days ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

It’s back on page 26. Schudl5 made the gate. I did it also, works really well. [quoted image]

Looks good Tortelvis! I’m gonna do mine soon.

#1326 20 days ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

It’s back on page 26. Schudl5 made the gate. I did it also, works really well.

Does it 100% eliminate the possibility of two balls getting stuck inside?

#1327 20 days ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Looks good Tortelvis! I’m gonna do mine soon.

If you do make one, change the 1-1/2" long dimension at the bottom of the gate to 1-3/8". Works better with more clearance to account for the distance between the ball guides.

#1328 20 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Does it 100% eliminate the possibility of two balls getting stuck inside?

I’ve put about 3 hours on mine and I haven’t had 2 balls get stuck, but I’ve never taken the glass off to see if it would be possible, but it might be. If it is possible, I don’t think it would happen very often. I suppose if you can make the gate that sticks on top not allow 2 balls, you could make any gate do the same if it’s sized/bent as needed. In my opinion, this is best option.

#1329 20 days ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

I’ve put about 3 hours on mine and I haven’t had 2 balls get stuck, but I’ve never taken the glass off to see if it would be possible, but it might be. If it is possible, I don’t think it would happen very often. I suppose if you can make the gate that sticks on top not allow 2 balls, you could make any gate do the same if it’s sized/bent as needed. In my opinion, this is best option.

I'm still studying how best to eliminate the issue.

I had a working solution that would allow the 2nd ball to escape out after a few tries when the vuk would fire. But the gate was only 95% effective because the gate clearance was barely smaller than the ball. Good, but not perfect. The number of super jackpots still went way up.

So I lowered the gate to be100% effective, but it prevented the 2nd ball to escape if two got stuck. It's a rare occurrence, but it requires lifting the glass so it's unacceptable for me.

With drilled holes, I'd want to be 100% sure two balls can't get stuck.

The problem is that the VUK doesn't fire to immediately clear out the ball. WH2O somehow avoids this issue.

#1330 19 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Mine had been done red and I wasn’t overly fussed on it so I changed it all to black powdercoat which I think came out well, more subtle

1ED8F176-A10A-4164-AEAD-C668B27EC5B4 (resized).jpeg32AF8721-45AA-4D1A-A3FA-39A9A3F4AC3C (resized).jpegAE9E431F-1264-4325-8266-9BC11BAF5570 (resized).jpeg
#1331 19 days ago

What do you think about having it wrapped with some of the carbon fiber looking wrap?

#1332 18 days ago
Quoted from Apex:

What do you think about having it wrapped with some of the carbon fiber looking wrap?

That would be really cool, and fit the theme. Not sure how you'd go about doing it though.

#1333 17 days ago

It is on my list of things to try. If it turns out well I will be sure to show it off.

#1334 14 days ago

Hello guys! Somebody can do high resolution photos from the Indy500 car model's all side please?

#1335 8 days ago

Does anyone have an old left ramp they would be willing to sell? Damage is okay. I am looking at reproducing this ramp. I have a nice original here, but I am only 60% sure my mold idea will work on this one, and I will likely destroy or seriously damage the original in the process. I do not want to have someones functioning game at stake with this project. This ramp is really, really tricky, thanks to Bally's curved ramp lips.

On a brighter note, I have the right ramp here and I am 100% confident it can be remade. Looking at having that ready in March/April.

#1336 8 days ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Does anyone have an old left ramp they would be willing to sell? Damage is okay. I am looking at reproducing this ramp. I have a nice original here, but I am only 60% sure my mold idea will work on this one, and I will likely destroy or seriously damage the original in the process. I do not want to have someones functioning game at stake with this project. This ramp is really, really tricky, thanks to Bally's curved ramp lips.
On a brighter note, I have the right ramp here and I am 100% confident it can be remade. Looking at having that ready in March/April.

Count me in for one and good luck finding one to make a mold!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 1336 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside