New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,267 posts
  • 183 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by RobbyIRL5
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 366 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A57299C0-193E-4406-9F9F-F1997C31A5C9 (resized).jpeg
72F50BAC-3D75-45CE-83DC-B6379658FB65 (resized).jpeg
CD51F1FA-3377-4CC3-B4CD-E25163F22580 (resized).jpeg
1E642693-9728-4D42-9BA1-D386580F06AE (resized).jpeg
A70DBCF3-A89D-4E6C-BDF0-66E383021601 (resized).jpeg
09A32E4D-DC75-455B-A85D-90D0D5809499 (resized).jpeg
boards_046.jpg
F00E65AA-7A3D-470F-8B83-0A76E102376B (resized).jpeg
A8324707-D808-4848-952A-5E37860F6CAE (resized).jpeg
92EDB902-7764-48C3-B522-788AC8DE1288 (resized).jpeg
031A2CE2-68E3-4344-9CC3-84DA5C9F3519 (resized).jpeg
23A91B1F-C71F-4241-9E63-8B392F65E5BE (resized).jpeg
i500 display (resized).jpg
pin2dmd (resized).jpg
0CA9F740-EEA5-440A-AC5D-82216A6FABC6 (resized).jpeg
B1E31949-EC68-4005-9106-3989833BC786 (resized).jpeg

There are 1267 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 26.
#1251 14 days ago
Quoted from dwightheinink:

Hi guys,
I just bought a beatiful indy 500 from Spain. I'm going to apply new decals on the cabinet, add a color dmd and a speaker upgrade. Also I would love to powder coat the side rails lockbar legs and backbox hinges. Does someone have pictures of their powder coat? Just to see some footage what I would prefer? Also if someone has any tips, or mods that I really should do?
Regards,
Dwight

Her are pics of mine. Thanks to Tantrum for the pole and track mods. Back Alley did the powder coat.

1E642693-9728-4D42-9BA1-D386580F06AE (resized).jpeg72F50BAC-3D75-45CE-83DC-B6379658FB65 (resized).jpegA57299C0-193E-4406-9F9F-F1997C31A5C9 (resized).jpegCD51F1FA-3377-4CC3-B4CD-E25163F22580 (resized).jpeg
#1252 14 days ago
Quoted from dwightheinink:

Hi guys,
I just bought a beatiful indy 500 from Spain. I'm going to apply new decals on the cabinet, add a color dmd and a speaker upgrade. Also I would love to powder coat the side rails lockbar legs and backbox hinges. Does someone have pictures of their powder coat? Just to see some footage what I would prefer? Also if someone has any tips, or mods that I really should do?
Regards,
Dwight

Nice! Keep us updated! Where are you getting you cabinet decals?

#1253 14 days ago

I didn't go thorough this whole thread, but I'm having issues getting the ball to land in the scoop at the very top of the playfield from a right loop shot. The game is leveled and set at 6.5 degrees. I used a video to see what's happening and it appears the ball is going around the loop; but then is dropping slightly and hitting the post to the left of the entrance to the scoop. It's like it's not cleanly hugging the rail at it flattens out and goes across the backboard and the ball moves down a little. These are all clean, fast shots and I'd say 1 in 10 will land in the scoop.

It doesn't seem like this is would be normal. Any ideas?

EDIT: I removed the right ball guide and reinstalled it, put all the ramps back in and started a game. Seems better. The ball makes it 9/10 times now, which I can live with. I'm not sure what I did to the ball guide re-installing it; but I'm not messing with it again.

#1254 13 days ago

Thank you for the pictures guys !
schwaggs I'm thinking about ordering them at pinballdecals.eu I've had some good experiences with them!

#1255 10 days ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

This is what I did for powdercoat. [quoted image][quoted image]

That colour looks great on your machine.

#1256 8 days ago

So do you guys just accept that the light up targets seem to break easily? Is there a preferred replacement or mod that seems most durable?

#1257 7 days ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

So do you guys just accept that the light up targets seem to break easily? Is there a preferred replacement or mod that seems most durable?

They break "easy" because people do not replace the foam dampening.
Once broken you can repair with this.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-pinball-haus/02339-indianapolis-500-target-repair-kit

#1258 2 days ago

Hey Everyone. Tomorrow, I'll be the second owner of a HUO Indy 500.
I've gone through all 26 pages of this thread but didn't see a whole lot of talk about LED kits.
Is there a consensus as to who puts together the ideal aftermarket kit for this pin?

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve right now. I can't wait to plug it in and flip the switch.

#1259 2 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

I've gone through all 26 pages of this thread but didn't see a whole lot of talk about LED kits.
Is there a consensus as to who puts together the ideal aftermarket kit for this pin?
I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve right now. I can't wait to plug it in and flip the switch.

I have the LED kit from Marcos. At first I liked it I thought it looked really good. Then I saw an original game and realized mine looked pretty terrible (like a low rider with purple lights under the car). I would recommend replacing all G.I. with a warm white frosted LED. I do still have Colored LED lamps (Other than GI) from the Marcos kit and it actually looks fine. My two cents!

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=63
Warm white 44’s for GI.

#1260 2 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I have the LED kit from Marcos. At first I liked it I thought it looked really good. Then I saw an original game and realized mine looked pretty terrible (like a low rider with purple lights under the car). I would recommend replacing all G.I. with a warm white frosted LED. I do still have Colored LED lamps (Other than GI) from the Marcos kit and it actually looks fine. My two cents!
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=63
Warm white 44’s for GI.

I shopped an Indy 500 and fitted Comet 2SMD sunlight LED's for the GI. Looks great without drastic change.

#1261 2 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

By the way congrats and enjoy Christmas morning! This is a fun game that I think is really underrated. It still gets regular play (by me!) amongst some other really good and new games. What made it really come alive was Titan silicone rings/rubbers. I’m not sure if the game is meant to play the way they make it play but it’s really fast now (compared to the dead old rubbers that were previously on it).

My game was routed (I think) and fairly beat up when I got it, but with a little TLC, flipper rebuilds, new lights, new rubbers, deep clean/wax, it’s really good!

#1262 1 day ago

Thanks for the additional info. My plan is to play it for a couple of weeks and figure out everything it needs. Then start tearing it down while cleaning and waxing everything. I have very little experience especially with electrical troubleshooting, but I'm fairly determined that I can do this myself. What it definitely needs are new decals as the sides and front are pretty faded. That's going to require removing the entire playfield and that's a little terrifying. I'm not going to buy a rotisserie setup, so what's the most stable way to set up the playfield outside of the cabinet?

#1263 1 day ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Thanks for the additional info. My plan is to play it for a couple of weeks and figure out everything it needs. Then start tearing it down while cleaning and waxing everything. I have very little experience especially with electrical troubleshooting, but I'm fairly determined that I can do this myself. What it definitely needs are new decals as the sides and front are pretty faded. That's going to require removing the entire playfield and that's a little terrifying. I'm not going to buy a rotisserie setup, so what's the most stable way to set up the playfield outside of the cabinet?

I need to do this too, I’ve got bad fade. I even have the new decals. I think the old decals need to be heated off, cabinet sanded down, painted, reapplied, etc. this process is outside my comfort zone. Please post how you end up doing it and how it turns out. I bought the decals on EBay, about $250.

#1264 1 day ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Comet sunlight 2smd for the playfield GI. Use comet 2smd warm white for the backbox. Don’t worry about doing LEDs in the inserts until you are also ready to add the OCD board with them.

#1265 21 hours ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I need to do this too, I’ve got bad fade. I even have the new decals. I think the old decals need to be heated off, cabinet sanded down, painted, reapplied, etc. this process is outside my comfort zone. Please post how you end up doing it and how it turns out. I bought the decals on EBay, about $250.

Another method could be to go the Radcal route. I asked Mirco about it a while ago and was told I500 was an option.

#1267 11 hours ago
Quoted from Apex:

Another method could be to go the Radcal route. I asked Mirco about it a while ago and was told I500 was an option.

Let’s hope the Radcals become available!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 229.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Woodstock, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greensburg, IN
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 1267 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside