(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,737 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 hours ago by amxfc3s
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 35.
#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, here is the new decal design that should match the OEM decal in shape.
At this point, I have one user testing a template I provided, but I'd like one or two more owners to test the shape as well. If you are able to print a template, cut out, and test fit then please download and print the attached PDF. FYI, the arrow is pointing to the front of the decal. When printing, be sure you select "Actual Size" in the PDF print settings window.
FYI, I'd like to get this done today, so we can move forward with the decal as soon as possible.
BTW, to download the PDF correctly, click on the thumbnail to enlarge it, then click the "Download PDF Document" blue button at bottom left of window.

Looks like I've finally got the correct shape now. A special thanks to plovis for working with me to get it right. He had to not only endure testing the original decal, but multiple templates, then providing photos and feedback to me.

Since I have to run off to work now, I'll work on the graphics, printing, and cutting the decal tonight or tomorrow. This new shape will be more difficult since I may have to do some/all of the cutting by hand. I'd prefer to use my circle cutter on the rounded parts, but it's going to take some experimentation. I don't own a Cricket or anything like that, but it might be time to purchase one if it would do things like this accurately. I'll have to look into it, if I cant figure out a way to make a nice clean cut of the shape.

More to come soon, and I hope the long testing process hasn't discouraged anyone from wanting to purchase this and the pylon.

20200611_083408 (resized).jpg20200611_083408 (resized).jpg

#1152 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Looks like I've finally got the correct shape now. A special thanks to plovis for working with me to get it right. He had to not only endure testing the original decal, but multiple templates, then providing photos and feedback to me.
Since I have to run off to work now, I'll work on the graphics, printing, and cutting the decal tonight or tomorrow. This new shape will be more difficult since I may have to do some/all of the cutting by hand. I'd prefer to use my circle cutter on the rounded parts, but it's going to take some experimentation. I don't own a Cricket or anything like that, but it might be time to purchase one if it would do things like this accurately. I'll have to look into it, if I cant figure out a way to make a nice clean cut of the shape.
More to come soon, and I hope the long testing process hasn't discouraged anyone from wanting to purchase this and the pylon.
[quoted image]

I’m still in. Appreciate all your time and effort with this project.

#1153 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Ditto!

#1154 3 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

It installs on the existing post. However, when I had the ramp off I put another screw through the plastic on the left to make sure it wouldn't shift around but not necessary. Man does it make a difference. My only issue was if you shoot two balls in one after another in multi-ball they will get stuck. I had this happen once out of 100 games. Far worth not having the frustration of nailing a shot and having it jump out.

Gate works great on my I500. Just installed last night. Got one stuck ball so might need some adjustment but huge improvement.

#1155 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

same along with a pylon

#1156 3 years ago

Okay, my design is done, but now I have one more issue to overcome. I test printed a track and tried to cut it using the tools I currently have. Unfortunately, due to the ellipsoid shape the only way I'm able to cut the decal is by hand with scissors. However, I'm not happy with my ability to create a professionally looking cut on such a large decal with scissors (there is always an issue when cutting large curves).

As a result, I just ordered a $300 cutting machine that will do the job. In the past, I've contemplated purchasing such a machine for all of the decals I produce, but just never was brought to the point where I thought I had to have it. With that said, I'm excited that I'll finally be able to produce the track decals with a clean professional look to them. The cutter is scheduled to arrive at my house on Tuesday. Obviously, I'll need a little time to experiment with it, but I see no reason why I won't be able to start producing decals mid-late next week.

Therefore, if you are interested in purchasing a decal and/or 3D pylon, please PM me and I'll reserve your order. I will not be taking payment until I'm ready to produce and ship the items, so there is no risk to you given the unknowns at this point. I produce and sell dozens of various decals for a multitude of games, so I'm confident that I'll be able to do this or I wouldn't be so public with my intentions.

As a reminder, pricing is as follows:
- $25 for my IMS pylon with 1995 race results
- $40 for my custom race track decal ($35 if you’ve already bought the pylon from me)
- $60 if ordering both together (Must order both at the same time to be eligible for discount. $35 offer above only applies to those pylon buyers before I offered the race track decal)

All prices include US shipping. International shipping is available on a per quote basis.

RaceTrack (resized).pngRaceTrack (resized).png

Added over 4 years ago:

Received my cutting tool today, and it is pretty awesome. I've been learning and doing testing, and from the looks of it I'll be ready to actually create my first track decal tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll post pics and then open up for ordering.

#1157 3 years ago

Just finished my first fully cut track decal and it came out great. The sides did get cutoff slightly, but that was my fault and easily corrected. Therefore, I'm ready to take orders for anyone who is interested (please see above post for pricing - Just PM me to order).

For those of you who have already PM'd me, I'll be sending emails out shortly regarding payment information.

Thanks to everyone for your help, patience, and interest in this mod.

IMG_4097 (resized).JPGIMG_4097 (resized).JPG
#1158 3 years ago

man this games shines in a home environment. loving it.

#1159 3 years ago

Good news for those who have ordered my updated track decal and/or pylon. I'm shipping everything today, and will be PM'ing everyone individually with shipping details when I have them.

#1160 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Good news for those who have ordered my updated track decal and/or pylon. I'm shipping everything today, and will be PM'ing everyone individually with shipping details when I have them.

sweet. looking forward to it

#1161 3 years ago

Looks like plovis was the first to get his installed. Thanks for sharing the photo!

For those of you who purchased my custom track decal, I have a few suggestions on how to achieve the best results when installing (directions are precluded by proper disassembly of track mechanism, of course):

1 - Test position the decal first with the backing on making sure you are 100% clear on how the decal will be oriented/positioned (when looking down on the decal from above the pin from the players position, the start/finish line will be at the left/9 o'clock position).
2 - You may remove or keep in place the existing decal. First wash your hands with soapy water to remove any grease from them. Then, clean the entire surface with alcohol or some other grease removing non-residue cleaner and be sure the surface is 100% dry.
3 - Lightly apply the decal from the center point out. Do this by peeling back 1/2 of the backing and cutting it off with scissors. Position decal over center pin then "roll out" the decal from center to the edge. Doing this will minimize any air bubbles trapped between the graphic and the surface. If you have one, I highly recommend using a felt covered plastic squeegee or some other tool that will not scratch the surface of the decal.
4 - Lift the half of decal not applied, remove rest of backing, then roll second half of decal onto surface.
5 - If any major bubbles exist, you may want to peel the decal back to that position to release the air and apply again.
6 - Once you are happy with your application you will want to apply firm pressure across the full surface of the decal working from the center outward.
7 - If any small air bubbles remain that are visible and/or will bother you, I recommend using a very small hypodermic needle to poke through the decal in order to release the air that is trapped, then applying firm pressure where the bubble was to secure the decal to the surface.

IndyTrack.jpgIndyTrack.jpgIndy500.gifIndy500.gif
#1162 3 years ago

Looks great. will get mine on this weekend. how did he get his plastic cover off without either removing playfield or removing that entire upper mech? I can't get to the screws to get the plastic shield off without taking the entire mech off.

#1163 3 years ago

There are two screws that attach the track assembly to the back of the playfield. Just remove those two screws and the whole thing lifts off. You don't need to worry about unplugging any wires, there is enough slack for you to work. Then remove the screws holding the plastic shield and use an allen wrench to loosen the arm holding the car.

#1164 3 years ago

Was browsing the parts available at PPS for Indy 500 and ran across the target parts in stock and on sale. I seem to remember some club members looking for these a few months back:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9322-1-7&Category_Code=GS-2853
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9323-3-13

#1165 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Was browsing the parts available at PPS for Indy 500 and ran across the target parts in stock and on sale. I seem to remember some club members looking for these a few months back:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9322-1-7&Category_Code=GS-2853
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9323-3-13

Ordered! Good looking out!

#1166 3 years ago

2 great mods for this game. decal looks so good I did not put the plastic shield back on.

20200628_114405 (resized).jpg20200628_114405 (resized).jpg
#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

2 great mods for this game. decal looks so good I did not put the plastic shield back on.
[quoted image]

Looks awesome. I may do the same thing!

#1168 3 years ago

DAMN Tantrum you really went above and beyond for this man! Will DEF be ordering and THANK YOU for all your hard work man wow!

#1169 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

I've beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why that track decal looks wrong and I finally figured it out. My seats are in the Northwest Vista and the start/finish line should be on the right!

The pictured orientation should make sense to someone that sits on the south side of the track!

#1170 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

I put my scoring pylon above the two light up targets, as I thought that’s where I saw somebody install once before. This looks great though, I guess just personal preference? Or was it designed to go next to the turbo VUK?

#1171 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I put my scoring pylon above the two light up targets, as I thought that’s where I saw somebody install once before. This looks great though, I guess just personal preference? Or was it designed to go next to the turbo VUK?

I’m curious as to the best place for this mod too

#1172 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I've seen it placed in two different locations as mentioned/show here before, but the right answer is wherever you want to put it. My original design was on an Indy 500 NASCAR pin tribute (i.e. putting IMS features/mods on a NASCAR pin). I may have mentioned it before, but that was for an owner who had fond memories of going to watch NASCAR with his dad at IMS.

#1173 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I've beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why that track decal looks wrong and I finally figured it out. My seats are in the Northwest Vista and the start/finish line should be on the right!
The pictured orientation should make sense to someone that sits on the south side of the track!

Well, the decal is a symmetrical oval shape, so anyone is more than welcome to adhere it 180 degrees from how I show it. Just a matter of preferring to see the front or the back of the car as it crosses the line.

#1174 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I thought about putting it there as well but the only other picture I have seen of it had it by the turbo. I might switch it over and see how I like it. The decal is over the top. It totally changes the look of everything.

#1175 3 years ago

These are the 2 mounting positions I've seen for pylon placement.

1 (resized).jpeg1 (resized).jpeg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#1176 3 years ago

I finally got my decal installed. Thank you so much Tantrum for all your hard work on this mod and making this game better.

833EE8FE-E86D-4BEA-9802-34DCE15833A1 (resized).jpeg833EE8FE-E86D-4BEA-9802-34DCE15833A1 (resized).jpegF8AF05E8-85F6-4E9C-A9A2-8F7C3757730C (resized).jpegF8AF05E8-85F6-4E9C-A9A2-8F7C3757730C (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1177 3 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find insert decals? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

#1178 3 years ago
Quoted from Mplemmon:

Does anyone know where I can find insert decals? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

For where?

#1179 3 years ago

I need the Extra Ball and Victory Lap decals as well as the two upper wrench decals. I’m guessing the wrench decals will be pretty difficult to reproduce if they don’t already exist somewhere. I’ve seen in other posts that some thought they would be able to recreate the rectangular decals like Extra Ball, Pass, Hit The Wall, etc. Thank you for any help!

2 weeks later
#1180 3 years ago

I recently picked up a nice I 500. Is anybody making replacement ramps for this yet? My left side ramp has a crack. Thanks, Mike

#1181 3 years ago

I don't know of anyone making the ramps for Indy 500. The wire ramps seem to be just as rare. Maybe the ramp manufacturers could chime in. There may be a licensing issue.

#1182 3 years ago

I was excited to put in a colorDMD on this game and decided on the LED version. I also have the LED version on my Shadow, but it does not have this bright line of light across the top, as seen in the pictures, here. Did I do something wrong with the installation?

AAB3E5D8-7C53-46C7-AFB6-F919EA0D03A6 (resized).jpegAAB3E5D8-7C53-46C7-AFB6-F919EA0D03A6 (resized).jpegF16A9BF1-C9C0-4343-BA5D-DDBBC8A8B89A (resized).jpegF16A9BF1-C9C0-4343-BA5D-DDBBC8A8B89A (resized).jpeg

6C6194FD-3D89-42F4-BB7B-8DB3AB534F6B (resized).jpeg6C6194FD-3D89-42F4-BB7B-8DB3AB534F6B (resized).jpeg
#1183 3 years ago

I think the size of the ramp is the problem.

#1184 3 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

I think the size of the ramp is the problem.

I have a spare complete right ramp in great condition.
Shipping it to the USA could be somewhat costly

#1185 3 years ago

Indeed, the right ramp is not as hard to find for some reason. Which is weird as it is the largest of the two. I still have 2 NOS and 1 good used one I need to get rid of. The left ramp on the other hand are nowhere to be found. I took a left one up to Freeplay40 to evaluate and it's slightly too big for the current setup.

1 week later
#1186 3 years ago

Indy 500 Eve !!!

FFEAD586-7479-4B17-B019-E7836F3EFB68 (resized).jpegFFEAD586-7479-4B17-B019-E7836F3EFB68 (resized).jpeg
#1187 3 years ago

Just acquired this game and I hate the cliffy on the lock shot. Other approaches that might preserve game play while also preserving the playfield?

Other recs on must-have or other cool mods?

#1188 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Just acquired this game and I hate the cliffy on the lock shot. Other approaches that might preserve game play while also preserving the playfield?

screw that cliffy. kills game play in my opinion. Trantrum has some cool Indy mods

#1189 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

screw that cliffy. kills game play in my opinion. Trantrum has some cool Indy mods

For home use, how wrecked is that shot going to get anyway?

Tempted to get these blades
indianapolis-500-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades-700x447 (resized).jpgindianapolis-500-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades-700x447 (resized).jpg

#1190 3 years ago

JFC I just checked it out and it appears that I have to disassemble the left ramp, plastics and more to remove the goddamn cliffy. This is an otherwise beautiful version of the machine. Ugh.

#1191 3 years ago

Are people 100% sure that super light ups and points from change set up do absolutely nothing? I'm tempted to go deep on some glass off testing. Has Nordman or anyone else involved with the game ever commented on the rules?

#1192 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

For home use, how wrecked is that shot going to get anyway?
Tempted to get these blades
[quoted image]

The art on those blades was created by someone that has never been to or watched the race.... they are backwards for the Indy 500.

#1193 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The art on those blades was created by someone that has never been to or watched the race.... they are backwards for the Indy 500.

I love the game but don't much care about the race itself. So they just look cool to me!

#1194 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Through a suggestion in this forum, I put a one-way gate on the turbo hole. Works great.

#1195 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Ugh!

#1196 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Through a suggestion in this forum, I put a one-way gate on the turbo hole. Works great.

That's a great idea and I think I'll definitely take this route. From the couple of photos I found I can't quite tell how this was installed, namely where it attaches.over by the plastics under the left ramp. Attachment to the post by the right side of the lock entrance is obvious enough.

Can the same gate be used for the saucer shot straight up the middle?

#1197 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

For me the cliffy is a must to protect the playfield. I removed the rubber backstop and added target foam to the turbo to stop the bounce out.

#1198 3 years ago

Apologies Mr. Tantrum I kinda forgot about this thread until today. If you can pm your PayPal info I'll be buying. I'm totally not a mod guy but these look effin GREAT!
Thanks for all your hard work dude.

#1199 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Also there is no way to replicate the real track views and to incorporate the iconic central tower (whatever it is called) on side blades in a way that would make geographic sense if one considers the art as being a track on the periphery of the playfield. That said, they could've just done it with the realistic vistas employed.

#1200 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Also there is no way to replicate the real track views and to incorporate the iconic central tower (whatever it is called) on side blades in a way that would make geographic sense if one considers the art as being a track on the periphery of the playfield. That said, they could've just done it with the realistic vistas employed.

The Pagoda.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

€ 17.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 37.50
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/24?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.