(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,129 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 minutes ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 328 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200602_214123 (resized).jpg
20200602_214108 (resized).jpg
20200602_214050 (resized).jpg
20200602_214042 (resized).jpg
20200602_214030 (resized).jpg
20200602_214024 (resized).jpg
20200602_214019 (resized).jpg
20200602_213953 (resized).jpg
20200602_214015 (resized).jpg
20200602_214009 (resized).jpg
IMG_4033 (resized).JPG
IMG_4032 (resized).JPG
RT.jpg
borg (resized).jpg
CAM01795 (resized).jpg
IMG_3939.JPG

There are 1129 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 23.
#1101 12 days ago
Quoted from plovis:

Almost got him with that one!

Those 90s CART cars had the most incredible sound, captured and archived perfectly by the DCS sound on the game!

#1102 12 days ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Those 90s CART cars had the most incredible sound, captured and archived perfectly by the DCS sound on the game!

I recall they had to put restrictors on those cars at TMS, because the speeds were so fast the drivers were pulling too many G’s and getting tunnel vision.

#1103 12 days ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Friend of mine isn't a pinball guy but has never missed a 500, pretty much ever as far as I know. Came by and the first time he played and heard those sounds, as well as the callouts, just awesome to watch the look on his face.

#1104 11 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I recall they had to put restrictors on those cars at TMS, because the speeds were so fast the drivers were pulling too many G’s and getting tunnel vision.

There were no restrictors on the cars. if I remember correctly they were pulling almost 4 g's over 80% of the lap. That ended up causing the drivers to experience the early stages of a grey out. They ended up cancelling the race.

The restrictor you may have been thinking of was an aerodynamic device put on the wing to cause excess drag. The byproduct of that was that it created a huge draft and ended up letting the trailing car just scream be the leading car. Those draft battles were pretty fun to watch.

#1105 11 days ago
Quoted from Apex:

There were no restrictors on the cars. if I remember correctly they were pulling almost 4 g's over 80% of the lap. That ended up causing the drivers to experience the early stages of a grey out. They ended up cancelling the race.
The restrictor you may have been thinking of was an aerodynamic device put on the wing to cause excess drag. The byproduct of that was that it created a huge draft and ended up letting the trailing car just scream be the leading car. Those draft battles were pretty fun to watch.

Thanks for the clarification. I just remember them saying it was unsafe to race at the speeds they were achieving on the track. I remember thinking, why don’t they just control their speed, but I guess that’s not how a racer thinks in the heat of competition.

#1106 10 days ago

Race day with no race. Strange times, strange times.
One of my favorite parts of the race was the beginning when Jim Nabors sang "Back Home Again in Indiana".
In memoriam

#1107 10 days ago

One of my good pinball buddies from LA has been to a couple 500's with me. We had a freakin blast. Pinball-is-great remember this?
YOUNGGG GIRL....GET OUTTA MY MIND...
CAM01795 (resized).jpg

#1108 10 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks for the clarification. I just remember them saying it was unsafe to race at the speeds they were achieving on the track. I remember thinking, why don’t they just control their speed, but I guess that’s not how a racer thinks in the heat of competition.

Indy Racing League raced at TMS, Champ Car cancelled I believe due to driver vertigo or something like that. In IRL, we were doing around 220mph, I think the champ cars were a bit faster.

#1109 10 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Indy Racing League raced at TMS, Champ Car cancelled I believe due to driver vertigo or something like that. In IRL, we were doing around 220mph, I think the champ cars were a bit faster.

You are right. After doing some reading, in 2001 there was a 600 mile CART race scheduled at TMS. TMS has banks of 24 degrees (only 8 degrees at the lower levels) vs. 9 degrees at IMS. As a side note, I've actually been able to ride my bike around the track on two different occasions during cycling rallies, and all I can say is wow! Anyway, they did some testing and achieved an avg. lap speed 225 mph, so they decided to proceed. Then, during practice on the first day, all the top cars were averaging track speeds above 230 mph with the top car at 233.8 MPH. To make matters worse, on the second day all of the top cars were above 235 mph with the leader at 236.7 mph. They moved on to qualifying with the 17 top speeds above 230 mph.

After qualifying the drivers were complaining about lack of peripheral vision, poor reaction time, disorientation, and vertigo symptoms. CART determined they needed to lower the speeds to under 225 mph to be safe enough to race. They made some efforts to adjust the cars, but just couldn't figure out a way to make it happen in such a short time. The race was cancelled, lawsuits ensued, and CART declared bankruptcy in 2003 then sold to Champ Car which was eventually rolled into IRL.

#1110 9 days ago

Watched the 2014 race on ESPN2 last night. Good friend of mine is pretty friendly with Ryan Hunter Reay, going back to his rookie days. When he won that year, he took this photo with us and the Borg right after he edged out Castroneves. Class act.

borg (resized).jpg
#1111 9 days ago
Quoted from plovis:

Watched the 2014 race on ESPN2 last night. Good friend of mine is pretty friendly with Ryan Hunter Reay, going back to his rookie days. When he won that year, he took this photo with us and the Borg right after he edged out Castroneves. Class act.
[quoted image]

Ha, I know those guys. Team Stache!

#1112 8 days ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Ha, I know those guys. Team Stache!

Hell yeah

#1115 6 days ago

Where would you place it on the playfield?</blockquote
It would be the ultimate topper, wheels spinning , engine could rev when you cross the finish line.. hmmm

#1116 6 days ago

So, mount it on top of the backbox? Awesome!

However, you would have to figure out a way to vent the exhaust.

#1117 6 days ago

Update for those interested in my custom race track decal. According to USPS it should have been delivered this past Wednesday to the owner helping me test fit it. However, as of this morning tracking still does not give an accurate ETA. Just wanted to let everyone know that the project is still active, but we are at the mercy of USPS at this point.

As a reminder, pricing will be as follows:
- $25 for my IMS pylon with 1995 race results
- $40 for my custom race track decal ($35 if you’ve already bought the pylon from me)
- $60 if ordering both together (Must order both at the same time to be eligible for discount. $35 offer above only applies to those pylon buyers before I offered the race track decal)

All prices include US shipping. International shipping is available on a per quote basis.

RT.jpg

Added yesterday:

6/3/20 USPS tracking showing item arrived in regional distribution center, so we have some movement. Sorry everyone, but under normal circumstances shipping should have only taken 4 days at the most.

#1118 5 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Update for those interested in my custom race track decal. According to USPS it should have been delivered this past Wednesday to the owner helping me test fit it. However, as of this morning tracking still does not give an accurate ETA. Just wanted to let everyone know that the project is still active, but we are at the mercy of USPS at this point.
As a reminder, pricing will be as follows:
- $25 for my IMS pylon with 1995 race results
- $40 for my custom race track decal ($35 if you’ve already bought the pylon from me)
- $60 if ordering both together (Must order both at the same time to be eligible for discount. $35 offer above only applies to those pylon buyers before I offered the race track decal)
All prices include US shipping. International shipping is available on a per quote basis.
[quoted image]

Great. I already have the pylon. Awesome addition. Looking forward to the race track decal.

#1119 1 day ago

Thought I'd make a few pylons in preparation for order to soon come once we get the road decal tested. I 3D print the towers (took a little over 8 hours for these 6) in two colors. I print the decals on vinyl then coat will a clear gloss vinyl and cut to size. After cutting I color all of the edges black so that no white shows when installed. I also make all of the little pieces that go into the recesses at the base of the tower. I tried painting first, but decals are much easier and cleaner.

IMG_4032 (resized).JPG

Decals applied

IMG_4033 (resized).JPG
#1120 1 day ago

Okay, so I wanted to add a few more touches. I'm done now after mirror blades, custom targets with lights, pylon mod. I can't stand yellow targets. Also added a gate to turbo shot to avoid any rejections.

20200602_213953 (resized).jpg20200602_214009 (resized).jpg20200602_214015 (resized).jpg20200602_214019 (resized).jpg20200602_214024 (resized).jpg20200602_214030 (resized).jpg20200602_214042 (resized).jpg20200602_214050 (resized).jpg20200602_214108 (resized).jpg20200602_214123 (resized).jpg

#1121 1 day ago

djshakes

I like the blue lane guides in top right area.

#1122 1 day ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Okay, so I wanted to add a few more touches. I'm done now after mirror blades, custom targets with lights, pylon mod. I can't stand yellow targets. Also added a gate to turbo shot to avoid any rejections.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful work and great looking playfield. With all you've done, the circle track really stands out as something that definitely needs to be updated.

#1123 1 day ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Beautiful work and great looking playfield. With all you've done, the circle track really stands out as something that definitely needs to be updated.

I hear you, okay, you twisted my arm. I'll pm you for a decal.

I clearcoated the playfield BTW.

#1124 1 day ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I hear you, okay, you twisted my arm. I'll pm you for a decal.
I clearcoated the playfield BTW.

Funny, I was so enamored with your playfield that I didn't even notice it was you.

#1125 20 hours ago

I received a few questions about what gate I used to ensure no rejects from the turbo.

This is it.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-9465-R

#1126 3 hours ago

USPS is killing me on delivering the test track decal. Package is still in limbo with last note being a couple of days ago. If I don't see progress by tomorrow, then I'll be enlisting another interested person to work with me on test fitting the decal. I'll be looking for the person that is the closest to Texas, so maybe shipping won't be such an issue (I really didn't think shipping to Indiana would be such a problem - geez!).

#1127 1 hour ago

Ship 1 up here. Pony express still works in Denver. Be glad to test fit.

#1128 56 minutes ago
Quoted from paragon07:

Ship 1 up here. Pony express still works in Denver. Be glad to test fit.

Funny, in that I order a lot of items from Comet Pinball in Colorado. Before Covid, I always received my packages within 3-4 days. Now sometimes it is taking 2 weeks, and 5-6 days at a minimum. Not sure why that is, but it is quite irritating.

#1129 49 minutes ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

USPS is killing me on delivering the test track decal. Package is still in limbo with last note being a couple of days ago. If I don't see progress by tomorrow, then I'll be enlisting another interested person to work with me on test fitting the decal. I'll be looking for the person that is the closest to Texas, so maybe shipping won't be such an issue (I really didn't think shipping to Indiana would be such a problem - geez!).

I can test, I am in Nashville and packages are good to go here. Just got 6 USPS packages in 1-2 days.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 1129 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside