(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,736 posts
  • 228 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by Santis
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6362 (resized).jpg
IMG_6363 (resized).JPG
slingshot-right (resized).JPG
slingshot-left (resized).JPG
back-vuk (resized).JPG
back_vuk_before (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
There are 1,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 35.
#851 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

wow like someone turned on the lights !

I like my games bright...

#852 5 years ago

Anyone out there have any of the clear target faces just had one bust tonight.

#853 5 years ago

I was thinking about making a decal for the spinning race car. The grey "road" looks a bit boring. I was thinking more about a darker asphalt look with white line markings. Any interest?

#854 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I was thinking about making a decal for the spinning race car. The grey "road" looks a bit boring. I was thinking more about a darker asphalt look with white line markings. Any interest?

That sounds like a cool idea.

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone out there have any of the clear target faces just had one bust tonight.

Try contacting Pinball Inc in Georgia. They might be able to make you one.
885 Streamside Dr.
McDonough, GA 30252
Email: [email protected]
Telephone
770-270-8911

Also try the Pinball Heaven website. I bought two about six months ago.

#856 5 years ago
Quoted from knobstone:

Try contacting Pinball Inc in Georgia. They might be able to make you one.
885 Streamside Dr.
McDonough, GA 30252
Email: [email protected]
Telephone
770-270-8911
Also try the Pinball Heaven website. I bought two about six months ago.

Thanks, found some orange ones from Ministry of Pinball last night and placed an order.

1 week later
#857 5 years ago

Can anyone help to correct this. It doesnt look right. Is that post supposed to be there or is there something else that has been replaced?

20190218_095000 (resized).jpg20190218_095000 (resized).jpg
#858 5 years ago

yes the ramp

DSC00365 (resized).JPGDSC00365 (resized).JPG
#859 5 years ago

That post in my game is cylindrical, not hexagonal. EDIT...nope I was wrong, it's a hex post afterall...

#860 5 years ago

Thanks for the pic. Im talking about the star post in the center of my pic. But looking at your pic i can see its supposed to be a wire guide not a post.

#861 5 years ago

Im having trouble with my turbo. It comes up as an error for turbo sensor and index sensor. The turbo spins. In switch test the 2 switches register.
In game the ball goes into it it takes about 5 seconds then spins it out. When lock is lit it does not hold the ball, it spins it out but still counts it as a lock.

#862 5 years ago

yes a wire guide

#863 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

yes a wire guide

Not a wire guide on mine...
DSC06524 (resized).JPGDSC06524 (resized).JPG

#864 5 years ago

Interesting.. mine has a bulb in that hole. You cant see it in my pic cause the post blocks it

#865 5 years ago

Ok, looking at the July '95 version of the manual, it does confirm that there is supposed to be a 1 1/4" ball guide wire there (12-4250-48). Looks like mine fell out sometime during its life. As I have my playfield torn down at the moment, I will look for a replacement. Thanks for bringing this up

#866 5 years ago
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#867 5 years ago

Took the turbo motor and gears apart, cleaned it. Everything working 100%. Its a really fast flowy game.

20190219_191259 (resized).jpg20190219_191259 (resized).jpg

#868 5 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Took the turbo motor and gears apart, cleaned it. Everything working 100%. Its a really fast flowy game.
[quoted image]

You want it faster....get rid of those dead black rubbers and put on some silicon. The game flies.

#869 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

You want it faster....get rid of those dead black rubbers and put on some silicon. The game flies.

I got some superbands but didnt want to put them on because the flipper bats are yellowed. I ordered some new ones

2 weeks later
#870 5 years ago

My DMD looks like hell, thinking about getting a color DMD soon. I know opinions vary a great deal on this issue, but for Indy5 owners that have made the switch any thoughts on LED vs LCD? Feel like I'm leaning toward LED at the moment but thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts from personal experience.

#871 5 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

My DMD looks like hell, thinking about getting a color DMD soon. I know opinions vary a great deal on this issue, but for Indy5 owners that have made the switch any thoughts on LED vs LCD? Feel like I'm leaning toward LED at the moment but thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts from personal experience.

I have an LED color display on my I500.

I own a mix of both LCD and LED, and definitely prefer the brighter and more vivid colors of LED.

However, I noticed the "whites" on my recent purchase are not a true white compared to my other color LED's. The whites have a bluish tint.

I think the blue tint may be an issue with the latest batch of color LED displays, and not specifically related to I500

If you decide on LED, I'm curious if you notice the same thing.

#872 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I think the blue tint may be an issue with the latest batch of color LED displays, and not specifically related to I500

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know.

1 month later
#873 5 years ago

Can someone clarify the rules with victory laps?

Does it light only after you achieve all 4 goals (1st position, 200 laps, target hits, and playing all the modes)....

Or does it light repeatedly, once per each of the 4 achievements?

I had a game where I scored 3 victory laps (200M each) and after the third time, it was no longer lit to score and my lap count was reset.

The display said I won the race each time I collected a Victory lap. I don't know why it stopped scoring. I hadn't drained the ball.

How many times can you collect the victory lap score?

#874 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Can someone clarify the rules with victory laps?
Does it light only after you achieve all 4 goals (1st position, 200 laps, target hits, and playing all the modes)....
Or does it light repeatedly, once per each of the 4 achievements?
I had a game where I scored 3 victory laps (200M each) and after the third time, it was no longer lit to score and my lap count was reset.
The display said I won the race each time I collected a Victory lap. I don't know why it stopped scoring. I hadn't drained the ball.
How many times can you collect the victory lap score?

Oops... I think I found the answer in the rules card. You earn one victory lap per accomplishment. I assume 4 victory laps max.

#875 5 years ago

Had two strange issues yesterday:

1: Twice it seemed to TILT quickly twice so a small nudge DANGER DANGER - TILT and the tilt isn't set tight.

2: Ball save but after a long ball time playing?

anyone had anything similar?

Cheers,
Neil.

#876 5 years ago

I have noticed random ball saves during the game. Always assumed it was a bug, but not sure.

#877 5 years ago

looking for a decal set for indy 500 anyone have a set ?

#879 5 years ago

thanks would rather wait for a set someone is not going to use , but good to know they are available thanks

#880 4 years ago

I am working on restoring an I500 and would like to find a better quality left ramp. I have a NOS stock right ramp I could include in a trade for the right part. Anybody have a spare floating around?

#881 4 years ago

No shops are selling the left ramp. It's a shame.

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Had two strange issues yesterday:
1: Twice it seemed to TILT quickly twice so a small nudge DANGER DANGER - TILT and the tilt isn't set tight.
2: Ball save but after a long ball time playing?
anyone had anything similar?
Cheers,
Neil.

Hey mine also tilts out for very little reason sometimes. I dont have time to investigate it ATM so i just increased the mount of tilt warnings to max.

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I am working on restoring an I500 and would like to find a better quality left ramp. I have a NOS stock right ramp I could include in a trade for the right part. Anybody have a spare floating around?

Very hard to find mate. I've looked on and off for one over the past 5 years. I have owned 2 indy 500's over the years and the left ramp is always cracked. We need someone to make a repro ramp but the problem is it is on the bottom of everyone's list to do as the mould is not available.

#884 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I have an LED color display on my I500.
I own a mix of both LCD and LED, and definitely prefer the brighter and more vivid colors of LED.
However, I noticed the "whites" on my recent purchase are not a true white compared to my other color LED's. The whites have a bluish tint.

RTS
Finally got around to getting a color dmd. Went with the led version and I love it. You mentioned an issue with the whites in yours. I grabbed a few shots with whites on screen. Does yours look different?

20190427_124002 (resized).jpg20190427_124002 (resized).jpg20190427_124011 (resized).jpg20190427_124011 (resized).jpg20190427_125623 (resized).jpg20190427_125623 (resized).jpg
#885 4 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

rts
Finally got around to getting a color dmd. Went with the led version and I love it. You mentioned an issue with the whites in yours. I grabbed a few shots with whites on screen. Does yours look different?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your white looks the same. I was told they can have some variation from manufacturers, but batches from the same mfg order will all be the same.

I500 is such a great game. Love nailing the combo shot, left orbit to the Turbo-bobby. "Yeah!"

1 week later
#886 4 years ago

Looking to possibly rejoin the club....I had an I500 about 3 years ago for a very short time, but sold it because of parts being unavailable. That’s my biggest worry about getting another I500. I don’t want a game that doesn’t play correctly because parts are broken and impossible to find them.

Can anyone give advice on these areas?

Cabinet Decals
Translite
Standup Targets (including housing and little boards)
Ramps

I think those are most common trouble areas for the game. Are there any others that I should be aware of before buying another one?

#887 4 years ago

Cabinet Decals - available
Translite - unobtanium
Standup Targets (including housing and little boards) - difficult to unobtanium
Ramps - unobtanium

Stuff pops up from time to time. I grabbed a right ramp last summer and an NOS translite at the recent TPF.

#888 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Looking to possibly rejoin the club....I had an I500 about 3 years ago for a very short time, but sold it because of parts being unavailable. That’s my biggest worry about getting another I500. I don’t want a game that doesn’t play correctly because parts are broken and impossible to find them.
Can anyone give advice on these areas?
Cabinet Decals
Translite
Standup Targets (including housing and little boards)
Ramps
I think those are most common trouble areas for the game. Are there any others that I should be aware of before buying another one?

My advice would be not to worry about unavailable parts if your game is complete and working.

When I bought my game, I had some problems with my targets not springing back when hit, but managed to find a way to get them working better than original with available parts (see previous posts in this thread). I even modified the target boards by soldering different colored led's, so that the three targets represent red, yellow and green instead of all three being red.

If cosmetic condition is really important (translite or cab decals), you can always just walk away from the purchase, even though cosmetics don't affect play. I did however see somewhere that the decals were available. Cracked ramps can also be repaired with clear silicone. Not as pretty as new, but it works.

It's great to have a pristine example, but imperfections are a small price to pay for having I500 available to play in your collection. It's really a fantastic game. I500 is equally as good, if not better, than White Water.

#889 4 years ago

Not to long ago Delt was selling boards and stand up targets
He has 3 sets maybe $190?

#890 4 years ago

I am finishing up my restoration and wanted to do something for the back board. I am not a fan of the checkered decal that is available, so I opted for carbon fiber vinyl wrap. I am really happy with how it turned out. I would consider using the same material for side blades. It is subtle, has a nice texture and does a good job of reflecting light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9J4JRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00

20190428_142931 (resized).jpg20190428_142931 (resized).jpg20190510_190250 (resized).jpg20190510_190250 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#891 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

i500 owners -
Do you find your games have relatively little pop bumper action? My game always seems to send balls through the center rollover lane (above the pops), and trickles out with one or two bumper strikes. Wondering if anyone else experiences this.. what kind of tweaks help (outside of adjusting bumper sensitivity)

Just to revisit this...problem has been corrected. I rebuilt my pops... added new rubber to the lanes and around pops area.. and while the bumpers were performing better, the issue of them rarely seeing action persisted. The ball would travel down the middle lane and slip through the pops unscathed 95% of the time.

The ball would eject from the upper saucer, shoot across the top of the lanes, and hit the upper right post before bouncing back and going down the middle lane - every single time. Never went in left or right lane.

So, after trying some tweaks... I decided to install a new post sleeve (upper right post). Same issue persisted.

So, I installed cone shaped post sleeve. Thicker. More bounce. Thy has introduced enough ball action above the lanes for randomization... it goes down different lanes... pops are seeing exponentially more action!

One thing I didn’t do is clean the saucer eject bat (and install new sleeve)... I think I’ll do that, just to give the ball a tad more zing as it shoots across the top. *edit*tool apart and cleaned eject mech. Was mildly dirty... cleaning didn’t really impact performance.

The game presents as super clean and snappy... interesting how such small tweaks can bring that region of the playfield back to life (the game is waaaaaaay more fun now that there’s more randomization with the lanes and pops are getting a work out.... seeing the ball go down the center lane and pass through the pops unscathed was annoyingly boring!).

T

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

seeing the ball go down the center lane and pass through the pops unscathed was annoyingly boring!

Especially during Secret Race Mode or Super Jets!

2 weeks later
#893 4 years ago

Has anyone had issue removing the pop bumpers on an Indy? My aprons need replacing and the flash bulbs are wired in with a long convoluted setup. What a pain to try and undo, there must be a better way

B774DFC5-7B9C-4884-B619-FF2E83C6F233 (resized).jpegB774DFC5-7B9C-4884-B619-FF2E83C6F233 (resized).jpeg
#894 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Has anyone had issue removing the pop bumpers on an Indy? My aprons need replacing and the flash bulbs are wired in with a long convoluted setup. What a pain to try and undo, there must be a better way[quoted image]

That is how most games since the 80s have the pop lamps wired. You can carefully remove and replace the staples or rip and replace with these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-lamp-socket-12-insulated-stranded-wire-leads.html

Or same as the stock lamp sockets:

https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-lamp-socket-flat-wire-leads.html

I know of no trick to replace skirts without removing the light wiring.

#895 4 years ago

Do yourself and the next owner a favor, put connectors on.

#896 4 years ago

if anyone is looking to sell give me a shout.

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That is how most games since the 80s have the pop lamps wired. You can carefully remove and replace the staples or rip and replace with these:
https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-lamp-socket-12-insulated-stranded-wire-leads.html
Or same as the stock lamp sockets:
https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-lamp-socket-flat-wire-leads.html
I know of no trick to replace skirts without removing the light wiring.

That’s going to have to wait as Pinball Life charge a minimum of $50 shipping to Australia.

1 week later
#898 4 years ago

I’m in the club!

C918838B-3F25-413E-B1CD-131E2E0B1450 (resized).jpegC918838B-3F25-413E-B1CD-131E2E0B1450 (resized).jpeg
#899 4 years ago

Ok. Couple of questions:

One of the targets is busted. Where can I get one?

What does it take to make the spinning car spin? Seems like sometimes it spins and sometimes it doesn’t when I hit the right ramp.

#900 4 years ago

Check out Post 852-856 on the target's.

Good luck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 37.50
€ 17.50
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.