(Topic ID: 54428)

Indianapolis 500 owners thread. Everyone welcome.

By stevevt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,733 posts
  • 227 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by mollyspub
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_3190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9325 (resized).jpeg
20230708_172458 (resized).jpg
Indy 500 Plastic (2) (resized).jpg
Indy Race Track (2) (resized).png
Indy 500 Wire Guide (resized).jpg
moo (resized).png
IMG_9123 (resized).jpg
IMG_9121 (resized).jpg
IMG_9113 (resized).jpg
IMG_9115 (resized).jpg
IMG_9116 (resized).jpg
IMG_9112 (resized).jpg
IMG_9109 (resized).jpg

There are 1,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 35.
#1 10 years ago

I've had this game for two months, and I can't stop playing it.

Before I bought it (shoutout to http://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/herbertbsharp), I had only played a few games on the one at PAPA and had never seen one on location.

Pros
* Fast = fun
* Great dots (Splash me with fuel when I get a replay? Sure, why not.)
* Great sound, tons of custom speech callouts, and music
* Very cool shaker motor design
* Decently deep -- modes, multiballs, stacking, wizard goals
* Nicely integrated theme
* Replacement plastics available
* Dennis Nordman!

Cons
* Doesn't seem like a lot of people have played it, even compared to other games with similar production numbers (2249)
* Maybe a bit challenging for guests and new players
* Theme isn't for everyone
* One way lane change -- but maybe designed like that to increase difficulty
* A few bugs -- but no show stoppers
* No wizard mode if you don't count the Victory Lap awards
* Cliffy protector on the Turbo scoop makes for a lot of bounceouts
* Will probably never get a ColorDMD
* Prone to cabinet fade and decals not available
* Starting to get appreciated (aka more expensive)

FAQ
Q: Did I just throw my hands in the air in celebration after stacking 3x scoring with the Victory Lap 200 million?
A: Yes I did.

Let's talk about this game!

#2 10 years ago

I think it is a fun game and I happen to have a very rare HUO example.

#3 10 years ago

Go ahead Steve. Brag about it after I told you I want one.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Go ahead Steve. Brag about it after I told you I want one.

Nobody sell or trade this guy an Indy 500. He told me he only wants one for kindling.

#5 10 years ago

So much for the everyone welcome part of your club!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Fixed.

#7 10 years ago

I'm looking for one within a few hours of Chicago if anyone has one or sees one for sale other than the one in Indy for 3700. Little to rich for my blood.

#8 10 years ago

I got a rare clear coated one signed by some guy named Drano

// Error: Image 110365 not found //

I picked up two semi populated I500 playfields last year and picked the best of the two for some minor touch up and clear coating by my good friend Adriano. I'm planning to do the swap soon once I have given the clear a chance to cure otherwise I really enjoy mine and had it for almost 2 years now. I don't see it leaving my collection anytime soon and know if I ever do let it go I probably won't find one as nice as this one again.

// Error: Image 110366 not found // // Error: Image 110367 not found //

#9 10 years ago

just checking in...FUN game!

#10 10 years ago

I have a nice HEP i500 and a spare turbo impeller. All red cab

#11 10 years ago

What are your stacking strategies other than 3x scoring with multiball?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Pros
* Fast = fun
* Great dots (Splash me with fuel when I get a replay? Sure, why not.)
* Great sound, tons of custom speech callouts, and music
* Very cool shaker motor design
* Decently deep -- modes, multiballs, stacking, wizard goals
* Nicely integrated theme
* Replacement plastics available
* Dennis Nordman!

How can you forget the MB start light show!?!

I also really like the ramp shot to the upper flipper, like TZ.

#13 10 years ago

I'm in, great pin

Mine is a sample I500 still running 0.6x code, light blue playfield, faded cab,

Yes I will update roms

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

What are your stacking strategies other than 3x scoring with multiball?

Wrong Turn with any multiball

Go for the Pole with the main multiball

Superjets are always good -- they stack with everything and progress continues ball to ball

Dueling Drivers is OK with Pit Stop or main multiball

Gasoline Alley isn't really worth stacking because I probably average around 1.5 successful right orbit shots when I get that mode.

Not really a stack, but when you have Quick Pit mode ready to go and the Green Flag lit at the center scoop, hit the center scoop for Secret Race Mode.

I also shared the following tip in another thread:
When you get start the first part of Pitstop multiball, catch the single ball and allow the timer to get down to one jackpot and release the other ball for multiball. The single jackpot is the left orbit -- the easiest shot in the game -- and you should be able to loop that shot multiple times for easy jackpots. Easier than having all 4 jackpots to hit, in my opinion. I actually don't just catch the single ball and wait for the other ball to be released, but I aim for the center scoop to build up the bonus multiplier as a fun and valuable time-killing exercise.

EDIT: 3x is great for stacking with everything. You even get triple laps off the ramps -- yup, 6 laps for a Fast Lap right ramp shot.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

How can you forget the MB start light show!?!
I also really like the ramp shot to the upper flipper, like TZ.

Totally agreed on the light show, and the somewhat disorienting return from the left ramp. Between that and the ball launch, even experienced players will have an adjustment period dialing in on the shots in this game.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Brad76:

I'm looking for one within a few hours of Chicago if anyone has one or sees one for sale other than the one in Indy for 3700. Little to rich for my bloo

I thought that one for $3,700 was very fairly priced. If I recall, it was in fabulous condition. Is it still available? The game has definitely been trending higher, particularly nice examples. Within the last couple months I had two people offer me more than $4K for mine.

#17 10 years ago

Yours is the chromed out one from Gambit, who got it from Atlanta, correct? Looked very nice from the pics.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Yours is the chromed out one from Gambit, who got it from Atlanta, correct? Looked very nice from the pics.

Yep. Good memory. It was really nice when I got it, but I've since rebuilt all three light up targets with new LED boards, installed a brand new DMD, new coin door, plastic protectors, colored Cliffy posts, and new white rubber.

#19 10 years ago

I had a local artist paint my faded cabinet. Looks like new and cost around $150.

// Error: Image 110404 not found // // Error: Image 110405 not found // // Error: Image 110406 not found //

#20 10 years ago

I've had 2. I love the pin.

Negtive: Guests get angry when they get multi-ball and the balls come so fast one runs off the rails and drains over the right sling.

PS: Decals will be coming soon. If not authentic pretty soon, Black Market will be available!!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I had a local artist paint my faded cabinet. Looks like new and cost around $150.

Looks great. Airbrushing the transition in colors would have been tough.

#22 10 years ago

I've Owned I500 , It was a Cool Pin but I Wouldn't take 3 I500 's for my Getaway HS2 !!

Here's the I500 that I sold the Banker , then ChanNc bought it & Now it's in VA .

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Looks great. Airbrushing the transition in colors would have been tough.

I think he spray painted it all too. Same idea, but yeah

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I've Owned I500 , It was a Cool Pin but I Wouldn't take 3 I500 's for my Getaway HS2 !!
Here's the I500 that I sold the Banker , then ChanNc bought it & Now it's in VA .
» YouTube video

I like I500 & HS2 about the same. Just fewer I500s and its a faster pin.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

I like I500 & HS2 about the same. Just fewer I500s and its a faster pin.

To Each his Own ,, I didn't like it .. But that's Pinball baby !! Be Cool Chad ..

#26 10 years ago

I500 is a tough game. On our league night we have had some epic battles. Great sounds and dots. I don't get the shooter ramp though, that is the one thing Id change.

#27 10 years ago

I500 was my first pin and is one I guarantee will never leave. Absolutely love it.

Bought R&B shortly after, and it made me realize just how much I enjoy playing I500.

I finish a game on I500 and feel relaxed and wanna play again. I finish a game on R&B and feel like I've downed a Red Bull and need to sit down.

#28 10 years ago

Here are some more FAQ. Let me know if you have any other rules questions, especially ones not covered by the rulesheet (pinball.org/rules/indianapolis500.html).

Q: What does Super Light-Up mode do?
A: Nothing. It does nothing. No extra points for hitting or completing light-ups as far as I know. Anyone have any additional info?

Q: When will the "hidden" scoop (to the left of the bottom pop bumper) award Change Setup?
A: Whenever Change Setup is lit on the right orbit and you land in this scoop.

Q: When will the "hidden" scoop (to the left of the bottom pop bumper) start a mode?
A: It happens occasionally and seemingly randomly for me. Does anyone have more info?

Q: Why does the lit Green Flag sometime award points and sometime start modes?
A: Using factory settings, Green Flag will start a mode whenever a mode is able to be started. Generally, this means when no multiballs are running. When any of the multiballs are running (including the Pit Stop intro phase), the Green Flag will award points.

Q: How to I relight the Green Flag?
A: Lighting P-I-T at the top lanes will light the Green Flag if it's unlit. It also relights at the beginning of each ball. P-I-T also lights Pit Stop multiball at the right ramp if it's not already lit and you aren't in a multiball. P-I-T always awards the next incremental bonus multiplier.

Q: So, P-I-T is pretty valuable, then.
A: Yes.

Q: Are you keeping this thread alive to inflate the value of this machine to make sure TheRave never gets one?
A: Possibly.

#29 10 years ago

i hate to tell you but therave knows where he can grab one locally - not sure if you guys are friends or not - i can't figure it out - thanks ed

#30 10 years ago

Thanks Ed. Steve and I are "friends." He is just being as annoying as possible, and doing a great job.

#31 10 years ago

There is this PAPA game play video by Bowen

http://vimeo.com/33451218

I'm also got a 45 minute video which stumbled upon a few years ago and glad I saved it locally to my hard drive by some guy named Tom. He shows all the different scoring strategies, modes, etc. If anyone is interested I could throw it up on sendspace for you to download and watch.

#32 10 years ago

Wow! Bowen makes that Super Jackpot look easy. I've only accomplished it a couple times since I've owned the game. Of course, I think that lock shot is a lot easier to hit without a Cliffy.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Of course, I think that lock shot is a lot easier to hit without a Cliffy.

You get a lot of bounce out too I was thinking of adding some foam to see if it helps and might not put the Cliffy on when I do my playfield swap.

Bowen makes everything look easy, should watch his Tommy video where he plays one handed!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Welcome to Pinside...Ouch.....

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

You get a lot of bounce out too ...

Yes. A lot of shots that seem dead on just bounce out. I have better luck making the shot after shooting the ball around the orbit rather than up the ramp. For some reason, the greater speed of the orbit shot appears to help. I seem to recall Cliffy mentioning something about how he modded his game to help prevent bounce outs. I'll see if I can find it.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yes. A lot of shots that seem dead on just bounce out. I have better luck making the shot after shooting the ball around the orbit rather than up the ramp. For some reason, the greater speed of the orbit shot appears to help. I seem to recall Cliffy mentioning something about how he modded his game to help prevent bounce outs. I'll see if I can find it.

It's at the bottom of this page:
http://www.passionforpinball.com/i500.htm

EDIT: I thought the fact that I was joking with TheRave was clear enough, but I fixed the title anyhow. Somebody sell him an Indy 500 at a reasonable price so he can join our club and then maybe un-thumbs-down me.

#37 10 years ago

Thanks! I knew I read that somewhere. Seems like kind of a pain in the ass. i guess that's why i never did it ...

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

There is this PAPA game play video by Bowen
» Vimeo video
I'm also got a 45 minute video which stumbled upon a few years ago and glad I saved it locally to my hard drive by some guy named Tom. He shows all the different scoring strategies, modes, etc. If anyone is interested I could throw it up on sendspace for you to download and watch.

I'd love to see that video. Please PM me or post the link if you can upload the file.

Thanks!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I'd love to see that video. Please PM me or post the link if you can upload the file.
Thanks!

Enjoy!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7dvkh7

#41 10 years ago

After today I'll be happy to never play this damn game again

#42 10 years ago

I went to PHOF this last week, and I played the crap out of I500. Loved it! I'd played it before and enjoyed it then too, but it really clicked with me this time more so than before. Fast and fun, great flow!

Quoted from McCune:

Dibs!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I went to PHOF this last week, and I played the crap out of I500. Loved it! I'd played it before and enjoyed it then too, but it really clicked with me this time more so than before. Fast and fun, great flow!

Dibs!

the one at PHOF is in pretty decent shape

#44 10 years ago

In case anyone's put off by the fact it's 45 minutes, I'll heartily endorse the video mwong168 posted as a very good place to learn all about the game. I don't think they left much out. Then again -- 45 minutes!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

the one at PHOF is in pretty decent shape

Yes it is, at least for now.

#46 10 years ago

I just picked this one up on Friday June 21, 2013 for $2,100.00 from a couple in Peoria Arizona off of Clist. Gave it a cleaning and triple wax before I had some fun this weekend with it. Very Fast. Loving it with its first few plays, and decided early, it is a keeper.

On another note: I am wondering when a NEMA 3R kit will be available for the pinball machine so we can start keeping the pinball machines outdoors, thereby allowing us all to have more in our collections?

Indy500June232013.jpgIndy500June232013.jpg

#47 10 years ago

I'm on my 3rd Indy 500 and finally found a great example for my collection. Early on playing the game, I knew it was a keeper for our family, especially since we live 20 minutes away from the racetrack and are familiar with all details of the race which are embedded in the game.

The real voice calls of Paul Page, Bobby Unser, and Tom Carnegie add realism to the great, fast game play.

It is fun to go for a high score, most laps, or race position.....it's like 3 games in one.

Jesse

#48 10 years ago

Anyone have any opinions on ColorDMD Sigma colors that would work well for the dots in this game? Has anyone installed a ColorDMD in an Indy 500?

Tx.

#49 10 years ago

well i think i have been convinced to go get mine at a friends and keep it. i can see it has a lot more then i ever thought - i might have to put mine on 5 balls - although i hate that - i think that's cheating.

thanks ed

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Anyone have any opinions on ColorDMD Sigma colors that would work well for the dots in this game? Has anyone installed a ColorDMD in an Indy 500?
Tx.

Color DMD isn't available for this pin that i know of?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus
Hardware
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 17.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.