• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinsanity
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi All
I have just managed to get hold of an IJ machine which is in good nick, however the enter, escape and volume buttons on the coin door are not working
I have checked the common wire to the connector on the mpu089 board and the cable is continuous.
Al four buttons are not working

Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks

#2 3 years ago

Unbelievable. I just ran into this problem on my BSD. I just got the machine to work on and was having difficulties on getting consistent results.

I would push the Enter button and it would work sometimes and not work other times. Then when I finally got the Switch Test to work, the Up and Down button would not work. I finally was convinced that all the buttons were not working at the same time. Something common?

My solution was to check the ground wire (as you already did) and resolder the black wire to the first switch (Enter button). Since all four buttons are out, it has to be the common element (ground). I understand that you metered it all the way back, but perhaps it's not a solid connection?

I also Scotch-Brite(ed) the connectors on the Coin Door Interface board to ensure that the connectors were making a good connection.

#3 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside. Pinwiki suggests cleaning the dust from the board. Worthwhile to double check the wiring.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Coin_Door_Interface_Board

#4 3 years ago

Did you check the black wires on the coin switches? It is daisy chained wire from the test buttons and will keep them from working if one is broke off.

#5 3 years ago

Any battery damage on the CPU ? It gets the diagnostic buttons first.

The studs sticking out from the back of the switches - they aren't shorting to metal are they ? Not much room behind them.

LTG : )

#6 3 years ago

Test the board by unplugging J205. Pins 6,7,8,9 on the board are where the test switches are wired to. Ground any of those 4 pins, one test function switch should be registered on each pin just like when you press the test switches. If grounding does nothing your board is fricked up as Lloyd said, probably from the battery leakage. If grounding these pins result in the machine registering the switches, then work back through the wiring back to the coin door interface board, then the switches.

#7 3 years ago

does any message come up on the dmd when you press any of those buttons? Example, "close door"?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Unbelievable. I just ran into this problem on my BSD. I just got the machine to work on and was having difficulties on getting consistent results.
I would push the Enter button and it would work sometimes and not work other times. Then when I finally got the Switch Test to work, the Up and Down button would not work. I finally was convinced that all the buttons were not working at the same time. Something common?
My solution was to check the ground wire (as you already did) and resolder the black wire to the first switch (Enter button). Since all four buttons are out, it has to be the common element (ground). I understand that you metered it all the way back, but perhaps it's not a solid connection?
I also Scotch-Brite(ed) the connectors on the Coin Door Interface board to ensure that the connectors were making a good connection.

Thanks for that, copied everything you have done and no different result.
Thinking it may be a bit more deep seeded.
Will be trying the rest of the tips too.
Appreciate your help

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from grumppy:

Did you check the black wires on the coin switches? It is daisy chained wire from the test buttons and will keep them from working if one is broke off.

Thanks for that suggestion
All seems to be in place and the link is a solid wire securely soldered.
Will keep persevering

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

does any message come up on the dmd when you press any of those buttons? Example, "close door"?

The DMD appears to work fine showing all the usual messages initially like Williams, high scores and then shows settings factory reset and book keeping cleared

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Ronkz650:

Test the board by unplugging J205. Pins 6,7,8,9 on the board are where the test switches are wired to. Ground any of those 4 pins, one test function switch should be registered on each pin just like when you press the test switches. If grounding does nothing your board is fricked up as Lloyd said, probably from the battery leakage. If grounding these pins result in the machine registering the switches, then work back through the wiring back to the coin door interface board, then the switches.

I think you may be on the money
Doing this test did nothing at all
There has been leakage from the batteries previously and this may have caught up with it.
Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase a CPU as I think I will replace the MPU089 board at the same time. Given the processor chips are apparently not that expensive is it worth while doing that one as well given it is a 1993 machine.
I am located in Australia
Really appreciate yours and everyone's help

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from IJAddict:

Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase a CPU as I think I will replace the MPU089

Borygard sells the Rottendog replacement boards. You generally move the CPU from your old board into the new board.

If you would rather fix the old one Borygard or ChrisHibler both do excellent work but I think shipping would be prohibitive.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from IJAddict:

There has been leakage from the batteries previously and this may have caught up with it.
Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase a CPU as I think I will replace the MPU089 board at the same time. Given the processor chips are apparently not that expensive is it worth while doing that one as well given it is a 1993 machine.

I am in Australia and sell Brand new Original Bally Williams Boards both New or Good Used

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from IJAddict:

You will be able to get the existing board repaired/refurbished back to as new in Australia for less than the cost of buying a new one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Wanted
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
12,500 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-williams-test-buttons-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.