Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mikoz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KornFreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago

Following

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi all,
I measured the thermistor's resistance at "cold" (well, fairly cold... it has been a few hours since it was used) and it's 4.7 ohms... this is higher than the 2-3 ohms expected and would explain things I think. A high value means it's limiting the voltage to the xformer more and I'm still betting that a low voltage will cause flaky behavior. Mine must not be too bad, because I think if it's really bad it can cause game resets.
Next I will turn it on and check the AC voltage across it, but I am thinking this is a formality. The voltage across it should be < 1VAC during normal operation. I am guessing I will see higher. A higher voltage drop implies more limiting is being down to the xformer, which would cause the rectifiers to see less power which would cause the entire array of circuits to see less voltage... it may just be low enough that only certain things are affected.
I should also mention that when I start up at cold, I don't always see all three failures, sometimes i only see one:
1. row 2 gnd short
2. row 3 gnd short
3. idol lock (but I think this is because the optos are on one of the affected rows)
Furthering my theory is that it's summer here in Texas, and that means lower line voltages to start with due to the unofficial "brownout" that results from all the ACs going hard. We typically dip down to 110V in the summer (which itself is probably fine, but not with a bad thermistor) and stay at over 118V in the winter. So, in the winter, at least for me, the chances of seeing this are probably smaller, I am guessing.
I suppose I can jumper around it temporarily to be sure at the risk of pushing the rectifiers a bit, but I ordered some of these from mouser (unfortunately Frys doesn't sell anything like this):
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Advanced-Sensors/CL-30?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuqZeNK75brD%2frjMwDFP8g4kbJYciAX3hY%3d

Thanks for all this priceless info.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Well, I just jumpered the thermistor and the problem remains. It may have been a bad thermistor, but that's not the only problem unfortunately.
I so wanted that to be the issue, and it made perfect sense.
I am now at a loss without a scope.

I hope Zaza reads this thread. He is great at this kind of issues.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Zaza would start with the 12Volt-regulated at testpoint TP3 on the powerdriverboard.
It should be exactly 12V at startup.

Yeah! Zaza's in the house! OP your problem is about to go away....

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi
So it seems I have two problems: thermistor...but this isn’t the real problem, and a bad 10 opto board.
I went from a stable machine to all these issues all within a month: mpu board (corrosion damage), poa opto board, thermistor, 10-opto board.
Crazy stuff
I ordered a new 10-opto board and will update when it’s installed. For now, I bypassed the thermistor until the new ones arrive.
The good news is that I now have spare a 8-driver board, 3-opto board, power driver board and poa motor board.

Thanks Zaza for coming to the rescue!

Zaza has helped me in the past several times before and he has never missed the mark. Thanks for all your contributions to this community Zaza! You are a great asset to us all. Hats off to you sir

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi all
10 opto board installed. 4 boots with no issues! Also installed new thermistor, but that’s not the root cause of the problem.
Thanks!!

I knew Zaza would help you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

14,000 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
12,500 (OBO)
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 29.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KornFreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-williams-start-up-issue-?tu=KornFreak28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.