• 41 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mikoz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi all

When I power up for the first time after it being off for more than say an hour or two, I get a few error codes:
1. Row 2 gnd short
2. Row 3 gnd short
3. Idol lock

The interesting thing is that the error self clears after about 15 or so seconds. After I power up I can immediately go into switch edges and see that row 2 and 3 are lit up, but you can actually watch it go away on its own. When this happens all the switches trigger and the row returns to normal status. The same is true with the idol lock... it doesn’t lock and skips over many stop points and then just starts working after you run the T14 diag test once or twice immediately after startup.

Then, once the machine is running you can power it off and as long as you power it back up within an hour or so, there are no errors thrown.

I’ve recently changed the mpu board, the POA optic board (there was a real problem with that) and even swapped out the power driver board and 8-board with no change.

I am thinking this is some type of power or transformer issue,perhaps there’s insufficient voltage somewhere that takes time to build up(perhaps a bad cap) and stabilize?

Any tips or troubleshooting advice? Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

I wonder if you have some switches shorted internally and it goes away as they warm up ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

You could unplug those row connectors from the cpu and leave the game set for a couple hours and turn it on. If no errors, you know the issue is out in the game. If errors, then it's on the CPU.

#4 5 years ago

This is so strange you should post this... I am having the same issue! For me it happened coincidentally with the first power cycle after I swapped out my sound board for a Pinsound+

#5 5 years ago

Does your issue also reappear only at cold start up, meaning that after the game warms up a bit everything is fine?

I don’t feel its a specific switch issue because it’s two rows and the idol... something isn’t either getting the right voltage or there’s a logic fault somewhere.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Does your issue also reappear only at cold start up, meaning that after the game warms up a bit everything is fine?
I don’t feel its a specific switch issue because it’s two rows and the idol... something isn’t either getting the right voltage or there’s a logic fault somewhere.

Yes... on cold boot I have this issue... then it begins to work after the unit "warms up"

#7 5 years ago

Wow, same issue indeed.
I think mine started when I changed the Mpu board. I am wondering if it is the cpu as suggested above. I did reuse the old cpu from the old Mpu board, I wonder if I should change it. Do you still have the original cpu?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Wow, same issue indeed.
I think mine started when I changed the Mpu board. I am wondering if it is the cpu as suggested above. I did reuse the old cpu from the old Mpu board, I wonder if I should change it. Do you still have the original cpu?

My unit is entirely original and never been modified/serviced. So I consider myself lucky. Honestly I've been waiting for this day for a while. Kind of odd behavior and sort of speaks to a power supply issue... but that's just me jumping to a conclusion I've not yet tested. Interesting that you've tried a different power-driver board and still have the issue... so that doesn't seem like it is a power issue for you.

Having a new CPU would be helpful to you, in order to rule that out. Do you have a ton of mods/extra loads on the power supply?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

My unit is entirely original and never been modified/serviced. So I consider myself lucky. Honestly I've been waiting for this day for a while. Kind of odd behavior and sort of speaks to a power supply issue... but that's just me jumping to a conclusion I've not yet tested. Interesting that you've tried a different power-driver board and still have the issue... so that doesn't seem like it is a power issue for you.
Having a new CPU would be helpful to you, in order to rule that out. Do you have a ton of mods/extra loads on the power supply?

Hi,

I have a ColorDMD (which I believe uses less power) and one led mod and I added a motor to the airplane prop...otherwise it’s stock.

I also will explore the power supply. To me it seems like it’s starved for power at startup. But I think the power driver board is only part of it, I guess the rest is the transformer.

I still also think it could be the cpu, but I don’t have a spare one.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

To me it seems like it’s starved for power at startup.

Unplug the color DMD and you'll know for sure.

#11 5 years ago

I've had a bit of time to look at this...

1. I did have an actual mechanical issue with the right mid POA rollover switch. Its not returning to open very well... kind of sticky. So this was legit failure.

2. On the CPU board, I gave the direct input switch J205 connector a bit of a wiggle and some solenoids and motors started to fire off... for whatever reason, I didn't pay too close of attention to what ... but I shut down the unit and reseated all of the connectors a few times on the CPU board.

3. I do have Pinsound+ and I checked the startup/log it is reporting 4.73 volts... which is right on the hairy edge.... so there may be something to that as well.

I've not seen a problem since. I'm not calling it fixed by any means... but it does appear that I've "improved" it. I'm going to investigate my 5V issue (as seen by Pinsound+) and I will continue to test this over the next week.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I've had a bit of time to look at this...
1. I did have an actual mechanical issue with the right mid POA rollover switch. Its not returning to open very well... kind of sticky. So this was legit failure.
2. On the CPU board, I gave the direct input switch J205 connector a bit of a wiggle and some solenoids and motors started to fire off... for whatever reason, I didn't pay too close of attention to what ... but I shut down the unit and reseated all of the connectors a few times on the CPU board.
3. I do have Pinsound+ and I checked the startup/log it is reporting 4.73 volts... which is right on the hairy edge.... so there may be something to that as well.
I've not seen a problem since. I'm not calling it fixed by any means... but it does appear that I've "improved" it. I'm going to investigate my 5V issue (as seen by Pinsound+) and I will continue to test this over the next week.

Hi

I have a fresh Mpu board so I’m confident in those headers and I checked the connections. It’s really weird that it self corrects, I can actually go into switch edges and watch the two rows magically return to normal in a few seconds.

It can’t be a hard fault, i just don’t know what’s going on. The idol and is misbehaving because the optis are on one of the flaky rows.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi
I have a fresh Mpu board so I’m confident in those headers and I checked the connections. It’s really weird that it self corrects, I can actually go into switch edges and watch the two rows magically return to normal in a few seconds.
It can’t be a hard fault, i just don’t know what’s going on. The idol and is misbehaving because the optis are on one of the flaky rows.

Yup I get it. I don't think I've fixed the issue... but I've not seen it since. It was definitely behaving like yours... and its not anymore. I'm sure its coming back... rarely have I ever been able to wiggle a wire and it fixes all the worlds problems

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yup I get it. I don't think I've fixed the issue... but I've not seen it since. It was definitely behaving like yours... and its not anymore. I'm sure its coming back... rarely have I ever been able to wiggle a wire and it fixes all the worlds problems

Thanks.
The problem did start right after I changed the MPU board and re-used my old CPU (as I had reason to believe that the board itself was damaged due to corrosion issues from the battery... this was true, it was damaged).

Does anyone else have any ideas? I still have yet to try pulling out the J connectors from the bottom of the MPU board to see if the issue goes away. I did, however, clean the connectors up and made sure everything was tight and re-seated things a few times. It just doesn't make sense, as I can power the machine on and immediately go into switch edge test mode and see rows 2 and 3 lit up and then they start flickering off and on and eventually, after something like 5 to 20 seconds or so, they return to normal and the machine behaves fine. I wonder if I need to scope the power supply... but why only 2 specific rows if that's the case?

#15 5 years ago

Following

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Thanks.
The problem did start right after I changed the MPU board and re-used my old CPU (as I had reason to believe that the board itself was damaged due to corrosion issues from the battery... this was true, it was damaged).
Does anyone else have any ideas? I still have yet to try pulling out the J connectors from the bottom of the MPU board to see if the issue goes away. I did, however, clean the connectors up and made sure everything was tight and re-seated things a few times. It just doesn't make sense, as I can power the machine on and immediately go into switch edge test mode and see rows 2 and 3 lit up and then they start flickering off and on and eventually, after something like 5 to 20 seconds or so, they return to normal and the machine behaves fine. I wonder if I need to scope the power supply... but why only 2 specific rows if that's the case?

The one thing I've not done is to look at the actual logic levels. I will get the scope on it at some point. This is a fairly easy thing to see. The weird thing is that if this was a power problem (across the board... no pun intended). I would expect the errors to be much more random in nature as it would affect all the TTL. This could very well be the CPU.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

The one thing I've not done is to look at the actual logic levels. I will get the scope on it at some point. This is a fairly easy thing to see. The weird thing is that if this was a power problem (across the board... no pun intended). I would expect the errors to be much more random in nature as it would affect all the TTL. This could very well be the CPU.

Hi all,

Ok, so I let it sit for a whole day. It's definitely true that the longer it sits, the longer it takes to "recover" to normal operation during first start-up. When I let it sit for a day, it took about 45 seconds to recover. If I let it sit for a few hours, it either always work at first startup or recovers in just a few seconds. When I go into Test 1 (switch edges), here's what happens:

1. rows2 and 3 are lit up (except for the flippers).
2. after a period of time that's a function, it seems, of how long it has been powered up, the following starts happening:
3. the various switches start flickering off and on, eventually settling down to expected. This takes anywhere from a few seconds to maybe 45 or so seconds
4. once they are settled down, they stay that way while it's powered up.

I did verify that if I pull out J209, the rows are clean, this seems to further the idea that it's not the CPU and it's power related. If the optos don't get enough voltage or power, would they read as triggered? If not, then my theory is dead.

I don't think this is the CPU, I would expect that a CPU issue would be more determinstic both in terms of when it happens and how long it takes to resolve. It feels like a power supply that's weak at startup, like a cap that's not charging or holding a charge. The longer it sits, the less available power there is due to a bad cap(s). Rows2 and 3 are probably just the most influenced for whatever reason. That theory doesn't seem solid, I would expect to eventually see problems on other rows/columns, but I can't think of anything else.

The thing is, I changed the power driver and 8-opto boards. What's left? The transformer?
I really need a scope.

#18 5 years ago

Hi all,

I learned that there's a thermistor inside the power box, its job is to limit the voltage to the transformer at startup. It takes a bit for the game to "warm up" until it becomes a zero-ohm resistor and doesn't limit the transformer. This could exactly explain my problem... when the box is cold, the voltage is limited and things get starved for power and act flaky. To make this theory work, I am assuming that a low-voltage (somewhere) could cause flaky switch behavior.

This is where I will investigate next.

#19 5 years ago

Hi all,

I measured the thermistor's resistance at "cold" (well, fairly cold... it has been a few hours since it was used) and it's 4.7 ohms... this is higher than the 2-3 ohms expected and would explain things I think. A high value means it's limiting the voltage to the xformer more and I'm still betting that a low voltage will cause flaky behavior. Mine must not be too bad, because I think if it's really bad it can cause game resets.

Next I will turn it on and check the AC voltage across it, but I am thinking this is a formality. The voltage across it should be < 1VAC during normal operation. I am guessing I will see higher. A higher voltage drop implies more limiting is being down to the xformer, which would cause the rectifiers to see less power which would cause the entire array of circuits to see less voltage... it may just be low enough that only certain things are affected.

I should also mention that when I start up at cold, I don't always see all three failures, sometimes i only see one:
1. row 2 gnd short
2. row 3 gnd short
3. idol lock (but I think this is because the optos are on one of the affected rows)

Furthering my theory is that it's summer here in Texas, and that means lower line voltages to start with due to the unofficial "brownout" that results from all the ACs going hard. We typically dip down to 110V in the summer (which itself is probably fine, but not with a bad thermistor) and stay at over 118V in the winter. So, in the winter, at least for me, the chances of seeing this are probably smaller, I am guessing.

I suppose I can jumper around it temporarily to be sure at the risk of pushing the rectifiers a bit, but I ordered some of these from mouser (unfortunately Frys doesn't sell anything like this):

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Advanced-Sensors/CL-30?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuqZeNK75brD%2frjMwDFP8g4kbJYciAX3hY%3d

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi all,
I measured the thermistor's resistance at "cold" (well, fairly cold... it has been a few hours since it was used) and it's 4.7 ohms... this is higher than the 2-3 ohms expected and would explain things I think. A high value means it's limiting the voltage to the xformer more and I'm still betting that a low voltage will cause flaky behavior. Mine must not be too bad, because I think if it's really bad it can cause game resets.
Next I will turn it on and check the AC voltage across it, but I am thinking this is a formality. The voltage across it should be &lt; 1VAC during normal operation. I am guessing I will see higher. A higher voltage drop implies more limiting is being down to the xformer, which would cause the rectifiers to see less power which would cause the entire array of circuits to see less voltage... it may just be low enough that only certain things are affected.
I should also mention that when I start up at cold, I don't always see all three failures, sometimes i only see one:
1. row 2 gnd short
2. row 3 gnd short
3. idol lock (but I think this is because the optos are on one of the affected rows)
Furthering my theory is that it's summer here in Texas, and that means lower line voltages to start with due to the unofficial "brownout" that results from all the ACs going hard. We typically dip down to 110V in the summer (which itself is probably fine, but not with a bad thermistor) and stay at over 118V in the winter. So, in the winter, at least for me, the chances of seeing this are probably smaller, I am guessing.
I suppose I can jumper around it temporarily to be sure at the risk of pushing the rectifiers a bit, but I ordered some of these from mouser (unfortunately Frys doesn't sell anything like this):
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Advanced-Sensors/CL-30?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuqZeNK75brD%2frjMwDFP8g4kbJYciAX3hY%3d

Thanks for all this priceless info.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks for all this priceless info.

Well, I just jumpered the thermistor and the problem remains. It may have been a bad thermistor, but that's not the only problem unfortunately.

I so wanted that to be the issue, and it made perfect sense.

I am now at a loss without a scope.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Well, I just jumpered the thermistor and the problem remains. It may have been a bad thermistor, but that's not the only problem unfortunately.
I so wanted that to be the issue, and it made perfect sense.
I am now at a loss without a scope.

I hope Zaza reads this thread. He is great at this kind of issues.

#23 5 years ago

Zaza would start with the 12Volt-regulated at testpoint TP3 on the powerdriverboard.

It should be exactly 12V at startup.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Zaza would start with the 12Volt-regulated at testpoint TP3 on the powerdriverboard.

Hi,

I have a new rottendog power board, so I'm pretty sure everything's ok there.
If it's not 12v, hypothetically, what would you suspect?

#25 5 years ago

Next suspect would be the 10-optoboard under the playfiled, .. unplug J3

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Next suspect would be the 10-optoboard under the playfiled, .. unplug J3

Hi all,

Ok, but, quick question... the switches in rows 2 and 3 are, for the most part, not controlled by the 10-opto board. Would this board still be able to influence a boot-up issue with rows-2 and 3?

I will probe the regulated +12V on the power board tonight. If it's not 12V exactly, what else could be going on (or do youi think the 10-opto board can somehow influence this)?

#27 5 years ago

HI all,

I checked TP3 with a meter. Immediately at bootup it was 11.97V and then went upto 12.06V after about half a second (actually, this is probably just the response time of the meter).... seems like it's 12V. Sounds like this is ok, correct?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yeah! Zaza's in the house! OP your problem is about to go away....

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yeah! Zaza's in the house! OP your problem is about to go away....

Cool
Actually,Zaza may have led me in the right direction. I did unplug J3 (from the 10-opto board) and the problem went away, need to do it a few more times before concluding that though, as the problem is not 100% consistent. But, looks encouraging. I don't understand why that board could be the issue, however

#30 5 years ago

The 12V-reg seems ok.
The 10-optoboard can create strange readings in the switch matrix when the capacitor on this board is leaking. Just unplug J3 to exclude this.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

The 12V-reg seems ok.
The 10-optoboard can create strange readings in the switch matrix when the capacitor on this board is leaking. Just unplug J3 to exclude this.

Yes, I did unplug J3 from the 10-opto board. And, initially speaking here, it seems to help, but I will do some more checks. I was really surprised by this, and this was the last board I was going to look at. But a leaky cap makes sense, as the problem seems like it goes away as something charges up. If the cap is weak, this explains why the longer I wait to do a power-up, the longer it takes for the machine to return to normal.

#32 5 years ago

Hi

So it seems I have two problems: thermistor...but this isn’t the real problem, and a bad 10 opto board.

I went from a stable machine to all these issues all within a month: mpu board (corrosion damage), poa opto board, thermistor, 10-opto board.
Crazy stuff

I ordered a new 10-opto board and will update when it’s installed. For now, I bypassed the thermistor until the new ones arrive.

The good news is that I now have spare a 8-driver board, 3-opto board, power driver board and poa motor board.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi
So it seems I have two problems: thermistor...but this isn’t the real problem, and a bad 10 opto board.
I went from a stable machine to all these issues all within a month: mpu board (corrosion damage), poa opto board, thermistor, 10-opto board.
Crazy stuff
I ordered a new 10-opto board and will update when it’s installed. For now, I bypassed the thermistor until the new ones arrive.
The good news is that I now have spare a 8-driver board, 3-opto board, power driver board and poa motor board.

Thanks Zaza for coming to the rescue!

Zaza has helped me in the past several times before and he has never missed the mark. Thanks for all your contributions to this community Zaza! You are a great asset to us all. Hats off to you sir

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

The 12V-reg seems ok.

THANKS SO MUCH for sharing your experience !!!

#35 5 years ago

Hi all,

Yes, I am very appreciative of this and it would have taken me a lot longer to look at that board, as I didn't suspect it could be the root cause.

Anyway, the new 10-opto board is in order and I will update folks when it arrives. Maybe I can also try to replace the caps on the original board, but I just hate soldering PCBs.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi all,
Yes, I am very appreciative of this and it would have taken me a lot longer to look at that board, as I didn't suspect it could be the root cause.
Anyway, the new 10-opto board is in order and I will update folks when it arrives. Maybe I can also try to replace the caps on the original board, but I just hate soldering PCBs.

The new boards you get from pinball life and marco claim to be more efficient as they consume less power. I would change it out and not bother to go back. You could rebuild and keep the original for posterity.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

The new boards you get from pinball life and marco claim to be more efficient as they consume less power. I would change it out and not bother to go back. You could rebuild and keep the original for posterity.

I have been keeping the boards that I have swapped out: so far I've changed 2x flipper opto boards, the POA opto board, the POA motor control board, the MPU board, the power driver board. On Friday, I'll add the 10-opto board to the list. I've also "tried" new 8-driver and 3-opto boards, but put the old ones (which appear to be originals) back in since they didn't help. Actually I think I can put the old power driver board back in, as well... it's just a lot of connections to undo and redo.

Is there a market for these old boards that need to be fixed? Or is it best to just keep them (in their broken state) for the next owner so that they have the original parts?

#38 5 years ago

Hi all

10 opto board installed. 4 boots with no issues! Also installed new thermistor, but that’s not the root cause of the problem.

Thanks!!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

Hi all
10 opto board installed. 4 boots with no issues! Also installed new thermistor, but that’s not the root cause of the problem.
Thanks!!

I knew Zaza would help you

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from mikoz:

4 boots with no issues!

That is great news, glad it solved the problem.

Quoted from mikoz:

Is there a market for these old boards that need to be fixed?

The original boards can be fixed. You can keep them as spare parts or sell them when repaired.

#41 5 years ago

Thanks all for your help.
It’s really weird how so many things went south all at once, but oh well, it’s all working now.

All the work has also inspired me to get a pinsound+. As luck would have it, I have a spare subwoofer... so naturally I’ll be able to add that to the system too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

14,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Wanted
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-williams-start-up-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.