Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.png
IMG_5161.jpg
IMG_4179.jpg
ugly.jpg
swimsuit-cameron-diaz.jpg

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

I just played both of them at PAPA and I liked the Stern one better. Now I did only have a couple of plays each and how good of a game you have can influence what someone thinks. I loved that insane ark multiball. Not sure if that was 5 or 6 balls that dump out, but it was insane.

8 ball

1 week later
#102 6 years ago

5 dump out of ark and three come up the shooter lane. Cool multi ball and lead up but just a poor pin.

#103 6 years ago

This is not even a debate in my estimation, IJ Williams by a wide margin. And as as added plus, you won't have to look at that no talent hack - Shia LeBoof - on the transilte and be forced to recall that the dreadful fourth film was even made. IJ Williams is my #1 pin of all time. "You cheat, Dr. Jones!"

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Okay, lets make this simple.

Picture #1 is the Williams Indy.

Picture #2 is the Stern Indy.

So you're asking me if I'd go for the regular or the widebody?!?!?

#105 6 years ago

At 3000 I'd be a buyer of the Stern IJ. I played it at PAPA, enjoyed it. It would make a great route pin, or good in a large collection.

#106 6 years ago

Maybe getting rid of ij4 for a better stern
May get a avatar

5 months later
#107 5 years ago

Completely disagree that Williams version is a better game, this is why you must play a pin for yourself and can only use the ratings and other peoples opinion as a very loose guide. The Williams is a great game but like most B/W games of the 90's it feels out dated, way to happy and seems more geared to children than adults. I've owned both and just rebought IJ4 loving it.

#108 5 years ago

Williams...this is my favorite thread ever

#109 5 years ago

The old one.

#110 5 years ago

Williams by a country mile.

#111 5 years ago

Buy both, mate them, and see what comes out

#112 5 years ago

Williams IJ seems to lack a central "toy"... and I guess I like cool toys on Pins. While Stern had the "toy" with a pretty cool multi ball, I thought it fell fairly flat in other game play respects. I just didn't find it that much fun to play after a while. I'd give my vote to IJ Williams overall.

#113 5 years ago

Old threads never die...

#114 5 years ago

Why was this thread started up again????? If you want to get IJ4, please, go ahead get it, try it out, take it for a ride. Just like a cheep hooker, it looks like fun but it's nasty.......NASTY!!!! You'll have fun for a short period of time then you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking buying this.

Not a chance in a million that IJ Stern is better than IJ Williams, not a freakin chance. IJ4 is a train wreck, it's awful compared to IJ William, bloody awful.

But go for it, it's cheap and kinda nice looking from a far.

QSS

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Old threads never die...

I didn't notice it was from 7 months ago until you said that. Oh well. Like I said in another thread, Stern IJ4 seems to be bubbling up lately with some renewed interest.

#116 5 years ago

I was exactly where you were at with this decision(well at least you were 7 months ago). I was able to play both machines and I really like the Williams one and I am a big fan of Williams pins but in the end the Stern was the one I chose. I have no regrets It may not have an ultra deep rule set but sometimes you just want to play a game and enjoy the theme, the sounds, and enjoy pinball without worrying about completing mode 36 on ball two in order to unlock mega super ultra jackpot. Plus to top it off the ark multiball is probably the coolest multiball mode I have ever seen. The Williams is great and I would like to own one in the future but the IJ4 was a better fit for me.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

Not a chance in a million that IJ Stern is better than IJ Williams, not a freakin chance.

Except, you know, it is.

At least to some of us.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

Why was this thread started up again????? If you want to get IJ4, please, go ahead get it, try it out, take it for a ride. Just like a cheep hooker, it looks like fun but it's nasty.......NASTY!!!! You'll have fun for a short period of time then you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking buying this.
Not a chance in a million that IJ Stern is better than IJ Williams, not a freakin chance. IJ4 is a train wreck, it's awful compared to IJ William, bloody awful.
But go for it, it's cheap and kinda nice looking from a far.
QSS

This truly could not be said any better. The stern IJ is a f...ing train wreck.

#119 5 years ago

why do people have to 're-make' things? Can't they think of anything else?

#120 5 years ago

still waiting for the smiley on the OP....

#121 5 years ago

It's been about a year and 1000 games later and still going strong. I still don't understand all the hate for IJ4.

#122 5 years ago

I guess id rather have an ij4 then woz.......

1 year later
#123 3 years ago

Sorry to bring up an old thread

Just wondering is the Williams really that much better for the average person with a small collection say 5-6 machines?

It seems that it would be really difficult to find a really nice Williams machine and just wonder if it is worth the hunt.

The stern seems to have better art, video, sound but have not played either so my assessment may be wrong.

Thoughts?

#124 3 years ago

Owned perfect examples of both, sold Williams , no regrets.

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The stern seems to have better art, video, sound but have not played either so my assessment may be wrong.

I think in person, the art on the Williams one is heads and tails far superior to the Stern one. Williams perfectly captured the movie-poster like quality from the first three movies. The Stern one feels more like a collage of the stuff from the movies to me.

Having said that, I'm one of the wack-a-doos who would own the Stern one, but wouldn't own the Williams one - and I'm a HUGE IJ fan. Having said that, I don't love IJ4 as a machine, I just don't think it's as terrible as a lot have made it out to be. When I see one on route, I always start and end by putting quarters in it ahead of other Sterns like SM and Shrek.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I think in person, the art on the Williams one is heads and tails far superior to the Stern one. Williams perfectly captured the movie-poster like quality from the first three movies. The Stern one feels more like a collage of the stuff from the movies to me.
Having said that, I'm one of the wack-a-doos who would own the Stern one, but wouldn't own the Williams one - and I'm a HUGE IJ fan. Having said that, I don't love IJ4 as a machine, I just don't think it's as terrible as a lot have made it out to be. When I see one on route, I always start and end by putting quarters in it ahead of other Sterns like SM and Shrek.

Different strokes. I love SM and Shrek, but IJ4 never did it for me.

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Sorry to bring up an old thread
Just wondering is the Williams really that much better for the average person with a small collection say 5-6 machines?
It seems that it would be really difficult to find a really nice Williams machine and just wonder if it is worth the hunt.
Thoughts?

OK, I'll put aside that Williams IJ is considered an all-time classic by many and Stern IJ4 is not Stern's worst, but it's on the lower end of their past decade certainly. You think IJ4 has better art and video!?

That crappy tan map with a cut and paste Indy above a hand drawn plane, that cut and paste composition backglass, ugh I just hate everything about it. Also all of those crappy, pure red, indecipherable video clips when you start the mode are unskippable, so you'd better like that sort of thing. You'll be watching them a lot!

#128 3 years ago

The difficult part between the two is that for the most part you know what your getting with the stern because it is much newer. Seems all the Williams machines I see you have to make some sort of sacrifice like faded cabinet or rough playfield etc....

I haven't played a Williams but looking at pictures it seems there is an awful lot going on and looks a bit cluttered. I do think it looks nice but to the average non expert pin player it looks a little daunting.

I know I want to get one of these two and it will be a keeper as I enjoy the Indiana Jones theme.

Just not sure which way to go on this one.

#129 3 years ago

William's by far!

However the Stern does have a couple fun features, but gameplay overall is much better on William's!

#130 3 years ago

If your collection is big enough and you want amateur players to have fun IJ4 is the king imo. Non Pinball people flock to the my IJ4. If you are just playing by yourself most of the time, the Williams is probably better. If you want one your wife may also like, IJ4 hands down. My sister will come over and play IJ4 for hours straight, ignoring the other 20 games in my basement. If I have experienced players over, then it is just on because the others are on. I am obsessed with TWD atm so when playing alone, it is the star!

#131 3 years ago

IJ4 just stinks on too many level. They were not allowed to use anything revealing from the movie so nothing is in the game about the movie. The movie stunk, does not help. The DMD used the new "scores on the left" style that everyone hated so they abandoned. The 8 ball dump is a gimmick to get little kids all excited. The 8 ball dump leaves a pile of divots in the soft wood of the playfield.

IJ had the music and sounds that reminded you of the classic movies. The toys like and actually controllable POA playfiles or the idol head spitting balls were good. 12 modes for the three movies. So 4 mode per movie, 1 being a video mode per movie, and each movie with a jackpot. Just nicely put together. Even little touches like the gun handle shooter. And the cherry is ColorDMD did the game so the animations look more modern than the newer game.

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The DMD used the new "scores on the left" style that everyone hated so they abandoned.

I loved that.

Quoted from Taxman:

The 8 ball dump is a gimmick to get little kids all excited.

I also apparently qualify as a little kid :-/

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yes!

I have a very small collection....but I've had a few pins come and go over the last few years (about 17) and the four I have now are the closest I've come to having 'keepers'.

WMS IJ is my most recent acquisition. It has a lot going on but is very easy to learn....much easier to figure out than any of the newer Stern's......except for IM. Great integration of the theme, great call outs and music and a ton of fun modes to play. I even enjoy the video modes on this one. You should be able to find a clean working one with a nice playfield in the 5k range.....it will need new cabinet decals at that price point but those are easy to get (harder to put on) and relatively cheap considering the value they add.

#134 3 years ago

We own IJ4 and its my least favorite game of our collection (that and Avengers HULK LE). However, its one of our best looking pins we own other than MM and TronLE.

And IJ4 is played the most by friends and family. So its a keeper for now.

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

#135 3 years ago

Oh dear what happened to that poor MM.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Well a drunk clown was playing it one night and....

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Is that a Night Knight?

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

OK, I'll put aside that Williams IJ is considered an all-time classic by many and Stern IJ4 is not Stern's worst, but it's on the lower end of their past decade certainly. You think IJ4 has better art and video!?
That crappy tan map with a cut and paste Indy above a hand drawn plane, that cut and paste composition backglass, ugh I just hate everything about it. Also all of those crappy, pure red, indecipherable video clips when you start the mode are unskippable, so you'd better like that sort of thing. You'll be watching them a lot!

I'm in agreement with you on the art: Backglass and playfield.

But you think the dots are worse than the Williams' version or compared to other Sterns of that era?

And you can skip some of those animated scenes with the flipper button...

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

you think the dots are worse than the Williams' version or compared to other Sterns of that era?

The Stern IJ dots are way worse than the William IJ dots. Given the limitations of a DMD hand-drawn dots will always look better than video conversion. It's just too hard to make good looking images from a movie by stripping out 95% of the visual information to cram them onto a DMD. I realize that there are plenty of hand-drawn dots peppered into the Stern IJ, but the video bits taint the whole package (same's true on AC/DC and other more modern Stern games).

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The Stern IJ dots are way worse than the William IJ dots. Given the limitations of a DMD hand-drawn dots will always look better than video conversion.

The "hand drawn" dots in IJ are much better than IJ4...IJ4 super cartoony.
I strangely think IJ4 might have the best video conversion dots.

#141 3 years ago

The Crystal Skull Movie was the one of the worst movies I have ever seen and I don't consider it part of the Indiana Jones movie collection. I don't want anything to do with that movie and I don't want in on my pin. That's only ONE reason I like the Williams version better.

#142 3 years ago

Wow. More IJ4 love in this thread than I expected. I got bored with IJ4 after an hour of location play. Yeah, it's pretty. Yeah, casual players like it. Yeah, there's a couple things I enjoy about it. But comparing it to WMS IJ is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes. Problem is it's still a fairly expensive Yugo. Scrape up a little more $ and get the WMS IJ. Hands down.

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The "hand drawn" dots in IJ are much better than IJ4...IJ4 super cartoony.
I strangely think IJ4 might have the best video conversion dots.

I'll give you 50/50.

I do think the match place sequence is one of my favorites.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I'm in agreement with you on the art: Backglass and playfield.
But you think the dots are worse than the Williams' version or compared to other Sterns of that era?
And you can skip some of those animated scenes with the flipper button...

You can't skip the mode start video sequences on any IJ4 I've played, maybe only multiballs are unskippable? I personally really dislike FMV dots regardless. Plus with ColorDMD out for IJ and assurredly never coming to IJ4 because of the FMV it's not even close to me comparing the two.

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

We own IJ4 and its my least favorite game of our collection (that and Avengers HULK LE). However, its one of our best looking pins we own other than MM and TronLE.
And IJ4 is played the most by friends and family. So its a keeper for now.

This is basically it. My 5 year old niece also likes it etc

#146 3 years ago

Owned both and the games are so different its hard to make judgment. I loved my time with IJ4, not very deep but fast and fun and much better on the sound and animation front, its a crowd pleaser for sure. IJ Willams is a deep game and very fun but the modes become boring like all mode based pins and once I acheived and completed wizard mode it didn't last long. Overall Williams IJ is the better pin but I actually think IJ4 would last longer in a large collection due to its beauty and simplicity which I have found lends itself to longevity.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Owned both and the games are so different its hard to make judgment. I loved my time with IJ4, not very deep but fast and fun and much better on the sound and animation front, its a crowd pleaser for sure. IJ Willams is a deep game and very fun but the modes become boring like all mode based pins and once I acheived and completed wizard mode it didn't last long. Overall Williams IJ is the better pin but I actually think IJ4 would last longer in a large collection due to its beauty and simplicity which I have found lends itself to longevity.

Thanks for the input.

I don't ever see myself having more than 6 pins so not a large collection.

Let me ask this, after watching numerous videos to try to get an idea of music,sound and video display. Other than the main theme music which one has the better variety of music and sound integration?

My other concern is since most players that come to my house are average at best I don't want the game to be hard to understand what is happening or what needs to be accomplished.
Most people seem to say Williams is deep with modes(does this mean overwhelming to most) and stern very shallow(no challenge). Is this correct?

Whatever one I get I will probably never get rid of as it is a classic theme that I really enjoy.

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Oh dear, I still recall the days when I said "I don't ever see myself having more than X pins..." where X continued to increase by one after each purchase

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Thanks for the input.
Let me ask this, after watching numerous videos to try to get an idea of music,sound and video display. Other than the main theme music which one has the better variety of music and sound integration?
My other concern is since most players that come to my house are average at best I don't want the game to be hard to understand what is happening or what needs to be accomplished.
Most people seem to say Williams is deep with modes(does this mean overwhelming to most) and stern very shallow(no challenge). Is this correct?
Whatever one I get I will probably never get rid of as it is a classic theme that I really enjoy.

The WMS Indy has far better music and sound integration, unless you like chimes for your EB award. WMS Indy is the full package, it's just well integrated with the movies. It's not overwhelming, you start a mode and shoot the lit shots. Plus there is other stuff to do, like shooting drop targets, ramps and orbits. The video modes are well done and casual players will get a kick out of shooting up Marion's bar or steering a mine cart through tunnels. It's a great Indy experience that uses a lot from the movies that people will recognize. Tons of great quotes and the dots are well done. Any casual player who likes the movie will get a few smiles out of playing the game.

Stern's is just not well done, it's like they stopped midway through development and said "that's it", which from what I have read in interviews may not be too far from the truth. The game released is not the game as Borg intended it. It's ungodly repetitive now, basically shoot the same couple shots over and over. The sound effects, some rules and the movie integration are unfinished and some of the features like the hurry-ups are all the same with a different name. Some of the video rips are almost undecipherable unless you have seen the movies dozens of times. The scoring is horribly unbalanced with the Cairo swordsman and bonus too. You can have a 10 million ball and get 50 million in bonus. It's a bad game, which is super unfortunate cause the theme is so good. I'll play it when I see it on route, but after a few games, I don't have any desire to play it again for a long while.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from krivoap:

Oh dear, I still recall the days when I said "I don't ever see myself having more than X pins..." where X continued to increase by one after each purchase

Well that is how i rationalize my space at the moment but hey if the amount increases that is a good thing right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside