(Topic ID: 83787)

Finally found my Holy Grail of Pins.........IJ (Williams)

By Ike

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IJphoto 2.JPG
#1 10 years ago

So I'm looking at buying an IJ (Williams) for a good price, $4K, and the only issue seems to be the playfield has wear right above each of the flippers, one side of which shows through to the wood and is about a quarter in diameter. See photo. Wondering how hard this is to fix and how it impacts the value. Most in my area have been going for $5k+. Already buying at a discount it seems. I may just decide to cover it with a clear decal of some sort so it doesn't get any worse as I don't mind the way it looks. All else checks out fine and the wear does not affect game play at all. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

IJphoto 2.JPGIJphoto 2.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Ughhhh it all depends on the buyer.

For me personally I would need to do a PF swap because it would bug the shit out of me, but some people may not care.

Wear like that is a much easier pill to swallow on a cheap machine but the only people paying 4-5k for IJ's are generally collectors and that will kill most of your sales because all people will see is a "project"

PF swaps aren't cheap. I have no idea if IJ playfields are easy to come by but I would imagine a new PF will run you 1k-1500 + a shit ton of time on doing a swap on one of the two most complicated pinballs ever built... (IJ & TZ)

#3 10 years ago

Thanks fattrain. It doesn't bother me a whole lot but recognize the value gets shot a bit. Wondering how easy it would be to paint and clearcoat. Any thoughts there?

#4 10 years ago

Mine has exactly the same wear, very common on IJ.

Finding another pf is extremely hard, so touch-up is prob the way to go.
Hard part is finding/mixing matching colors.
Here is a link with some color advice on the yellow and other stuff.
http://www.flippers.be/playfield_touchup.html

I have a 1 scan of this playfield area somewhere to make masking.
If you need it, send me a pm.

About US value i have no clue but I paid about 2200 euros for mine)

#5 10 years ago

I once owned an IJ with that exact PF wear (it was the same on both sides). I called many local custom car & motorcycle paint shops to explain my needs. I sent picts (via email) to a handful of them. I scaled the damage w/ a quarter in the picture. I had a guy come to my home and in about 2-3 hours he airbrushed it. It wasn't perfect, because I knew it had been touched up... but you would be hard pressed to know, just walking up to it. I think I paid him $200.

#6 10 years ago

STOKED!!!!!!!!!! Just bought my holy grail of pins. Really clean and the wear above the flippers is not down to the wood. Interesting that you can't even feel the wear. Smooth as the rest of the machine. $3800 plus box filled with cases of bulbs, rubbers, a brand new flipper kit, plastic cones, etc. Great seller, really nice guy that was clearing out the last of his dozen of pins he's owned over the years. This one has found its final resting place.

Might be selling my JD which is in great condition if anyone is interested. Not in any hurry and may end up keeping but though I'd put the feelers out there. PM me if you're interested. I'm in San Diego.

#7 10 years ago

Congratulations Ike! My favorite pin out of my collection. Enjoy

#8 10 years ago

Congratulations Ike!!

#9 10 years ago

Congrats on the new pin.

#10 10 years ago

Congrats!!!!

#11 10 years ago

Nice find Ike. Great pin.

I just bought one myself. Should be here in a few days.

#12 10 years ago

yeah thats what I was thinking would be a great price 3500-3800 you certainly scored there with all the extras,

excellent pickup!

#13 10 years ago

Keep your JD. JD>IJ IMHO.
Besides, have 2 widebodies with similar boards/troughs is a good idea for future troubleshooting.

Congrats on your acquisition.

#15 10 years ago

You chose.....wisely. Congrats!

#16 10 years ago

Excellent choice - my HUO is not going anywhere until someone offers me crazy money.

Scott

#17 10 years ago

Congrats. My all time favorite game.

#18 10 years ago

You'll love it, great game with deep rules and fun modes for a home. I'll be restoring mine this spring. Can't wait to see the game with nice decals.

#19 10 years ago

IJ wasn't my first pin, but it was the one that really showed me how involving a pinball machine could be. It will be one of the very last to go. Congrats on the purchase.

#20 10 years ago

Very nice score indeed! Congrats!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 1,419.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-w-minimal-playfield-wearimpact-on-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.