D8F2F5FB-70BB-4D32-A4F9-527AB27AE80A (resized).jpeg
VNsVX0K3Tpm8ti7%V6Tiqw (resized).jpg
ujGFA7r4QwOPymOGLUiNYg (resized).jpg
ObevlcmxRDCD4i9dO5kbAA (resized).jpg
%FZUIwlsTMKg023dLXb3Jg (resized).jpg
r0T63Gv9TiigOlcqv6ngrQ (resized).jpg
DQqTXBt8TbeWK7DTAOh3ZQ (resized).jpg
gnvFNoWWTyGJPPoSJTDcyQ (resized).jpg
There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 8 years ago

As mentioned in my original Indiana Jones software rewrite thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-software-rewrite-the-journey), i recently picked up a Stern Indiana Jones with the intension to create my own IJ game on it, using the current code base that i have built up (and am still working on) for my wms indiana jones as a starting point. A port over of these rules, sounds & graphics base will begin soon and i will be sharing my journey with this project in a similar way to my other rewrite projects. Some changes and additions will most likely be needed so we will see how things go.

First up though is a restoration of the playfield, then the install of all the new computer hardware, lcd, sound amp and p-roc control board. The game came direct 'off site' so is arcade fresh and in need of some tlc

Depending on time and other projects i will demo progress on my stand at the upcoming Play Expo event here in the UK in October. I have some cool ideas on how to add in extra features like the map room and x marks the spot etc

IMG_4152.jpgIMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4155.jpgIMG_4155.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I'll be there in October

#3 8 years ago

We have our top men working on it
Good luck with the project.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

We have our top men working on it.

Who?

#5 8 years ago

topmen.giftopmen.gif

1 week later
#6 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The game came direct 'off site' so is arcade fresh

"Arcade fresh". Made me smile

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

"Arcade fresh". Made me smile

Yep. 'arcade fresh' in my head means not yet rebuilt by anyone so all nuts, screws and bolts (apart from operator bodges) are stern installed.

Current playfield restoration and rebuild pics. Just working up to getting the mushroomed magnet core out! Had everything off top and bottom except this. Currently working through cleaning all the parts and reinstalling when i want a break from board assembly & electronics

IMG_4224.JPGIMG_4224.JPGIMG_4223.jpgIMG_4223.jpg

#8 8 years ago

I wonder if the old style magnet cores can be replace with the new style like in the walking dead. You may have to make the core hole bigger in the playfied but you would not have to worry about mushrooming again.

#9 8 years ago

Very intersted. If this game had Better code and one more toy it would in my collection. Love the art and sound package

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I wonder if the old style magnet cores can be replace with the new style like in the Walking Dead. You may have to make the core hole bigger in the playfied but you would not have to worry about mushrooming again.

Supposedly the magnet cores at pinball life are hardened and less prone to mushrooming than the stock Stern magnet cores of the past.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1837

#11 8 years ago

I don't think there's anything cooler in pinball than when the trunk opens and all the balls spill out. Really cool.

Certainly an ideal machine for a software improvement. The original software isn't as bad as some make out, but it can certainly be improved upon.

I will watch with interest!!

rd

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The original software isn't as bad as some make out, but it can certainly be improved upon.

I think it might be the worst ruleset of any modern game, but I would love to be convinced otherwise. Sell us on it!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I think it might be the worst ruleset of any modern game, but I would love to be convinced otherwise. Sell us on it!

Hmmmmmm nah can't think of anything.

But I am always a "cup half full" sort of guy, so if something works ok, and I can play it, I like it.

Certainly the standard software doesn't live up to the coolness of the trunk.

rd

#14 8 years ago

Thing I've found as the problem with IJ4 is any on location that I've played are usually beat to shit or something is broken. Mine is mint and modded and a blast to play for sure. And to look at too.

#15 8 years ago

I love my IJ4 for some mindless bashing. This project sounds awesome. I am excited to see what your are able to do because the ark is such a great toy.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Thing I've found as the problem with IJ4 is any on location that I've played are usually beat to shit or something is broken. Mine is mint and modded and a blast to play for sure. And to look at too.

Joined the club too. No idea if mine is as minty as yours as it was not up and running when I stopped by. Mine was kept in pretty excellent condition, and was really well modded in a taste similar to my own. I have the IJ Cairo Swordsman opto board in the mail, which will hopefully solve its one condition. And I feel like I got a very fair price for the game.

I am really happy. Its not the best game in a small collection but it works great in a medium sized one.

#17 8 years ago

My thoughts on a year + of ownership on things I would like to see fixed:

- Map room unbalance/Cairo Swordsman scoring
- Advance screen option on skill shot does not work
- Make on the spot targets more beneficial (especially by the ark)
- Some of the hurryups on the orbit shots are redundant - lame (snakes,bugs,rats)...
- I would really like it if they did another tune besides the Indiana Jones theme over and over and over and over
- Although I loathe Crystal Skull - the animation scenes are very incomplete. I'm not sure if there is even one that shows the "skull" itself????

I'm really taking a liking to this pin albeit I still prefer the Williams' version. What this pin is really lacking for me is the addition of a second ramp. Maybe something along the lines of the mine cart reference from Temple of Doom...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this games basically blown through production? It would definitely explain some of the issues.

#18 8 years ago

Here's how "arcade fresh" mine was.

DSC_0622 (Custom).JPGDSC_0622 (Custom).JPG

I agree that this game has a terrible rule set. And several annoying traits such as the inability to skip the mystery intro or ark multiball intro. And the fact that you can start ark multiball and walk away and get 1 to 2 jackpots without ever touching the machine.

#19 8 years ago

Ive always enjoyed playing IJ4 when im down at the garden city pier arcade near myrtle beach. Even though the machines seen better days... Its still fun. Ark mb is definitely a WTF memorable moment when you start it the first time.

Ive considered getting one in the past, but the complaints of bad code stopped me. But if the OP is gonna rewrite it... Sounds like it might give the ole IJ4 some new life.

IJ4VE!!! <sarcasm>

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Here's how "arcade fresh" mine was.

Holy crap Erik, is that how it looks right now since you pulled it from PW? I never noticed how blown out the area around that magnet was getting!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from DoubleDanger:

Holy crap Erik, is that how it looks right now since you pulled it from PW? I never noticed how blown out the area around that magnet was getting!

No! That's how it was when I got it. I'd never have something like that on location.

#22 8 years ago

Lol, ok, that makes a lot more sense. I figured there was no way I wouldn't have noticed that while playing. Nice job patching it back up!

#23 8 years ago

Couple of pics of the playfield reassembly, now everything is cleaned and new parts going on. i've created a matched sunset effect with red, orange and yellow bulbs at the back. will see how that looks.

IMG_4241.JPGIMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPGIMG_4242.JPG
IMG_4243.JPGIMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4244.JPGIMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4245.jpgIMG_4245.jpg

#24 8 years ago

Some pics of the custom control hardware that will be going in after the playfield is back together including the lcd screen. The screen is the same type that i have in my wms indy. The led dmd display and sam cpu board will be shelved.

IMG_4259.jpgIMG_4259.jpg
IMG_4260.jpgIMG_4260.jpg
IMG_4262.jpgIMG_4262.jpg

The computer system and amp is an updated setup that i have created based on my wms indy hardware, but using a plate Eric designed for use with his CCC projects. I aim to use this in the stern indy to, as there is plenty of space in the backbox
IMG_4263.jpgIMG_4263.jpg

#25 8 years ago

Just finished the reassembly of the temple lock mech. I am planning to use this mech as the main lock device for regular multiball when the port over starts. i.e this will replace the idol lock. Balls will be locked virtually. I may add extra rules to allow the balls to eject from the ark instead of launch normally at multiball start to, or include a way to add in the ark balls from a sequence of shots during the multiball. My plan is to make the game much more joined up using the current code base that i already have.

IMG_4272.JPGIMG_4272.JPG

#26 8 years ago

Very cool. Keep it coming.

1 week later
#27 8 years ago

Got the magnet core out and have passed to a friend to machine the end flat again with a small chamfer. Some pics of the removal using my new socket and a double lock nut trick

IMG_4283.JPGIMG_4283.JPGIMG_4285.JPGIMG_4285.JPGIMG_4289.jpgIMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4287.jpgIMG_4287.jpgIMG_4286.jpgIMG_4286.jpg

Hoping to start the yaml file creation tonight which is the descriptor file for the game and is used in conjunction with the code base. Will update on this later today hopefully. My wife is working nights so i have some evenings cleared, when i'm not assembling electronics.

#28 8 years ago

Excited for more updates. I actually really like my IJ4 but if you could improve the software it would huge!!

Also for you that have IJ4 check out the Tilt Topper. I have mine on order and I have a couple of other Tilt toppers and they are really nice.

#29 8 years ago

Update: Started the code port over and working on the basic config and descriptor files (yaml) as mentioned above. Quick screen grab here:

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 09.16.11.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-09 at 09.16.11.png

Also working on some housekeeping stuff like setting up another github repro for the code base. This will also serve as a good record of the port over changes etc as i'm starting from the wms indy code base.

#30 8 years ago

Update: New top posts have arrived today, so can get more of the top playfield back together now and hopefully the new rubbers on. Gone for white. I'm replacing as much of the upper parts as possible, though not the plastic set quite yet. The original posts had all gone yellow and nasty. The new ones are lovely and crystal clear so should shine really well.

IMG_4301.JPGIMG_4301.JPG

#31 8 years ago

Update: Ark back in place

IMG_4303.JPGIMG_4303.JPG

IMG_4304.JPGIMG_4304.JPG

#32 8 years ago

Update: Posts fitted. Rubbers up next

IMG_4313.JPGIMG_4313.JPGIMG_4312.JPGIMG_4312.JPGIMG_4311.JPGIMG_4311.JPGIMG_4310.JPGIMG_4310.JPGIMG_4309.JPGIMG_4309.JPGIMG_4307.JPGIMG_4307.JPG

#33 8 years ago

This has nothing to do with your build but boy you take nice pictures! The game looks great.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This has nothing to do with your build but boy you take nice pictures! The game looks great.

Thought would be fun to document the rebuild of the playfield at the same time as the code porting. The playfield was in really dirty shape so needed sorting out properly before the custom software could be started properly, so i'm doing this and all the config file setup in parallel. My aim is to get the playfield back together by the weekend all being well.

Interestingly on my previous port over experiment with Fastbreak Canyon i modified an nba yaml to match cc in the main with names etc. However this time i'm keeping all the id4 names correct and modifying the game code modes to fit. Kind of the opposite way, but i want the naming throughout the code to make sense for the id4 game in its own right.

#35 8 years ago

Rubbers installed

IMG_4316.JPGIMG_4316.JPGIMG_4315.JPGIMG_4315.JPGIMG_4314.JPGIMG_4314.JPG

#36 8 years ago

Great job!! Im planning to do a big restauration in my machine too!!

What are you planing to change in the rules?

#37 8 years ago

Since this game relies on video clips so much would it be possible to display hi-res video clips from the films on a color LCD display instead of just colorizing the existing dots for the LCD?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from fabiofpc:

Great job!! Im planning to do a big restauration in my machine too!!
What are you planing to change in the rules?

Quoted from docquest:

Since this game relies on video clips so much would it be possible to display hi-res video clips from the films on a color LCD display instead of just colorizing the existing dots for the LCD?

The code rewrite is a port over from my other indy rewrite (williams), so the game will be based on this. I'm not a big fan of playing video clips really as I like the original dot art from the original game and all the video modes etc.

#39 8 years ago

Update: So this is how the playfield is now looking. Most of the plastics are now on with all new screens and washers etc. Very pleased with my sunset lamp effect at the back of the playfield.

IMG_4318.JPGIMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4323.JPGIMG_4323.JPGIMG_4322.JPGIMG_4322.JPGIMG_4321.JPGIMG_4321.JPGIMG_4320.JPGIMG_4320.JPGIMG_4319.JPGIMG_4319.JPG

One the software side i ran the build for the first time last night on my laptop and am working through a load of mismatches and errors as you would expect from a port over start. (The current one is complaining abut the lack of a regular coin door switch.) I will work through them all on the laptop first to get a basic running game, before connecting up to the real game and installing all the standalone p-roc hardware and computer.

A side note on the p-roc itself. Gerry sent me the DWG file for the mount plate adapter so i can get some made locally here in the uk, instead of having to ship heavy bits of metal across the atlantic!! Thanks Gerry

#40 8 years ago

Skillshot ramp fitted. the skillshot switch bracket was broken so i had to fashion an extra plate from metal, which i sprayed copper to strengthen the repaired plastic

IMG_4326.jpgIMG_4326.jpgIMG_4325.JPGIMG_4325.JPGIMG_4324.JPGIMG_4324.JPG

#42 8 years ago

Playfield back together. Just got to pick up the machined magnet core tomorrow (from my friend) and source a mystery and grail plastic (both smashed), then we are good to go

IMG_4339.JPGIMG_4339.JPGIMG_4338.JPGIMG_4338.JPGIMG_4337.JPGIMG_4337.JPGIMG_4336.JPGIMG_4336.JPGIMG_4336.JPGIMG_4336.JPGIMG_4335.JPGIMG_4335.JPGIMG_4334.JPGIMG_4334.JPGIMG_4333.JPGIMG_4333.JPGIMG_4332.JPGIMG_4332.JPG

#43 8 years ago

Great work!
With new code, this game could become awsome!

Axl

#44 8 years ago

Update: Magnet core back and ready to put in. Sam P-roc board adapter plates also ordered.

IMG_4012.JPGIMG_4012.JPG

#45 8 years ago

Update: On the software front i have now got the basic game to load up and go into attract mode on the laptop. Now writing some basic control modes for the 2 new mechs that need are needed straight off. The Ark and the Temple Scoop. Cairo Swordman need adding in to, but this is less urgent at the mo. Once these ball control mechs are roughed in then it'l be time to install the new hardware and get some game play going

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 20.20.30.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-11 at 20.20.30.png

#46 8 years ago

Loving it !!

#48 8 years ago

Update: Magnet Core Back in and levelled. Also found a nos set of plastics so can sort out the issues with the mystery and grail scoop plastics and lamp. Cash reserves are taking a little bit of a hammering though!

IMG_4361.JPGIMG_4361.JPG

Basic modes for ark and temple scoop roughed in on the laptop

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 18.24.36.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-14 at 18.24.36.png

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

My thoughts on a year + of ownership on things I would like to see fixed:
- Map room unbalance/Cairo Swordsman scoring
- Advance screen option on skill shot does not work
- Make on the spot targets more beneficial (especially by the ark)
- Some of the hurryups on the orbit shots are redundant - lame (snakes,bugs,rats)...
- I would really like it if they did another tune besides the Indiana Jones theme over and over and over and over
- Although I loathe Crystal Skull - the animation scenes are very incomplete. I'm not sure if there is even one that shows the "skull" itself????
I'm really taking a liking to this pin albeit I still prefer the Williams' version. What this pin is really lacking for me is the addition of a second ramp. Maybe something along the lines of the mine cart reference from Temple of Doom...
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this games basically blown through production? It would definitely explain some of the issues.

I am in the process of adding a second ramp (and to make it looks like a bridge). And we might have the ramp catch the balls when they fall out of the Ark. More to follow.

Applejuice, we are stoked you are doing this. I love the look of this pin, but hate the code.

-Dan

2ndramp.jpg2ndramp.jpg

#50 8 years ago

All great stuff. Getting IJ4 back in a few weeks. Code changes are great news. If you can tweak some of the scoops mechanically that would be taking this game where it belongs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-stern-software-rewrite-port-over-the-journey/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.